You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Filmfreak

Default Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

I'm having a problem with puzzle 028 (Black & White Cats) in Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call.

I'm not sure if it's something that's lost in translation, or if there's a difference with the American version of the game (The Last Specter), but for me, the puzzle is as follows:

You want to display your impressive collection of black and white cat paperweights on this 4x4 grid.

You must fill every space, and no row or column can have three or more cats of the same colour.

The cats that are already in place must remain where they are. How can you fill in the rest of the grid?

Touch a space on the grid to place a cat, change its color, or remove it.

With the grid being:

The puzzle is impossible to solve, because there's no way to fill the grid with only two black and two white cats on every row and column.
Even the solution given by a walkthrough I found online has one column and one row with three black cats.

Am I missing something here?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I'm having a problem with puzzle 028 (Black & White Cats) in Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call.

I'm not sure if it's something that's lost in translation, or if there's a difference with the American version of the game (The Last Specter), but for me, the puzzle is as follows:

You want to display your impressive collection of black and white cat paperweights on this 4x4 grid.

You must fill every space, and no row or column can have three or more cats of the same colour.

The cats that are already in place must remain where they are. How can you fill in the rest of the grid?

With the grid being:

The puzzle is impossible to solve, because there's no way to fill the grid with only two black and two white cats on every row and column.
Even the solution given by a walkthrough I found online has one column and one row with three black cats.

Am I missing something here?
Is it not that you can't have more than 3 of the same colour next to each other (i.e Black Black Black) rather than in a row. You can have black black white black on a row.

In which case the solution is

White WHite Black Black
White Black Black White
Black Black White Black
Black White White Black
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Is it not that you can't have more than 3 of the same colour next to each other (i.e Black Black Black) rather than in a row. You can have black black white black on a row.
That's not how it's described, but...

Quote:
In which case the solution is

White WHite Black Black
White Black Black White
Black Black White Black
Black White White Black
...this is the solution according to that walkthrough I found. So it's perfectly possible that you are correct.

Can anyone tell me if the American version (or another localised version) has a different puzzle description?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Psychonaut

The American version says

You must fill every space, and no row or column can have more than two same-colored cats next to each other.

The six cats currently on the grid must remain where they are. How can you fill in the rest of the grid?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Filmfreak

Quote:
You must fill every space, and no row or column can have more than two same-colored cats next to each other.
Thanks!

Good to know the UK localisation was sloppy in this puzzle...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Psychonaut

The Europe release is also missing the London Life RPG that comes with the US version.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Filmfreak

Quote:
The Europe release is also missing the London Life RPG that comes with the US version.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

OK, now I'm getting pissed off...