You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

Default Unable to view Schizm in Windows 7

I bought Schizm 5-CD version, and have loaded the full version to my Windows 7 computer but am unable to get the video when I play. The audio starts but I see graphics only at the bottom 1 inch of the screen. The rest of the video does not display.

Have tried compatibility mode for XP and earlier versions without success. Haven't been able to find any good information on this, though there are a couple of messages out there from folks having apparently similar problems.

Has anybody played this game on either XP or Windows 7 successfully?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #2

I played it a few months ago on my computer (Win 7, 64 bit), and I don't think I had to do anything special to get it to work. However, that was the DVD version, so that might make a difference.

I'm sorry, I know this is not really helpful...
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Mine is the CD version and it works fine on my Win7 x64 machine.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

I wonder if it would make a difference whether you have an add-on graphics card or the built-in motherboard graphics. I have a moderately priced Dell with on-board graphics. But I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Several other older games seem to work. I haven't tried them all.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

My graphics adapter is a discrete card, not on board. The onboard Intel graphics are infamous for having issues with games. That said, it seems odd that that would be the issue as the game does not seem to have demanding graphics.

I suspect that it may be more of a codec problem. The game uses some fairly standard media resources. It uses BMP, WAV and OGG files. Videos are AVIs encoded with PVMJPG. We are talking about 10 year old files, so you may have a conflict with a more modern codec. The game uses Pvmjpg20.dll, ogg.dll, vorbis.dll, vorbisfile.dll for codecs for video and sound. It also has QMDX.dll, which is a "QSound 3D Audio Mixer & Manager". These should all be in the game's base directory. They do not seem to have been registered.

Check to see if these files are in the game's folder. Also, if you have UAC on, make sure that the game is not installed in a system folder, such as the Program Files directory, as these have limited write access and cause known issues with legacy games.

You might try uninstalling any codecs on you machine and replacing it with the K-Lite codec pack, which seems to cover most of the bases with fewer conflicts.

If none of this helps, try updating your graphics driver as a last ditch effort.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Have tried reinstalling a couple of times. Some part of the files seems to end up in the Program Files folder regardless of options chosen. I see the files you refer to, but I don't know much about interactions. I'll have to hang up this game for now, I think.