You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Default Mass Effect 2

I’ve set the game to Casual as I am more interested in the characters than in fighting. Anyway, I’m on the Collector’s ship at the “garage” door that I can’t get through because of enemies. I need to find another way out but this lone giant metal thing is impossible to kill and I keep on dying even with the help of my two fighter buddies. Any ideas, anyone?

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Awesome!

that part is a little tough, but you have to destroy it in order to advance. When it begins run up the small hill behind you and crouch behind the wall. Use the menu wheel to assign actions to your squad mates as much as possible, which also helps freeze the action and give you time to sort out a plan. Other than that, open fire on the metal guy and sprint to a new hiding position when he gets too close.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze View Post
that part is a little tough, but you have to destroy it in order to advance. When it begins run up the small hill behind you and crouch behind the wall. Use the menu wheel to assign actions to your squad mates as much as possible, which also helps freeze the action and give you time to sort out a plan. Other than that, open fire on the metal guy and sprint to a new hiding position when he gets too close.
Thanks! I will keep on trying. Maybe I've been heading in the wrong direction.
Also, heard there is a Collector Particle Beam ... and although I picked up a few things I'm not sure if I picked that up or not.

Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Filmfreak

The Collector Particle Beam weapon is nice (you should have picked it up on Horizon - the planet where you got the Ashley/Kaidan cameo), but you can just as easily swap it for your rocket launcher, makes little difference. I rarely used it.

Are you playing as a biotic character? If you are, then I hope your warp is maxed, because that wreaks havoc on barriers and shields and packs an allround serious punch.
If you're not biotic, have your biotic team member(s) launch their warps on the Praetorian. It'll help. Armor-piercing ammo or warp ammo also helps.

But you'll mostly want your team mates to take care of the husks and/or collectors roaming around, so you can focus your attention on the Praetorian. Just stay far enough away from it, and don't bother shooting at it when it does its ground attack - it's invulnerable then. Learned that the hard way...
Heavy weapons and warp are the safest bets, though.

Last edited by TimovieMan; 11-14-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: added some info and Crunchy reminded me those things are called Praetorians
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Are you referring to the second praetorian fight?

If so you enter at home plate on a baseball diamond, first base is down the slope at right, third base is down the slope to your left. The praetorian approaches from second base along with a couple of collectors.

You can send your team to the cover at first base then fire like mad at the praetorian to draw his attention. He'll approach up one slope, you can retreat down the other. If you stay far enough away he wont even zap you. If hes at third base, fire from first, if he reaches home plate, fire from second base.

I don't think theres a single fight in mass effect that doesnt have a dozen youtube videos showing how its done... They can be quite educational.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Thanks guys … I’m still working on it. I did find some ammo that allows me to use a bigger weapon and I seem to get further before I get killed. I have watched a couple of videos but the sequencing can get confusing. I will take your suggestions into account. I don’t think this is the second fight … omg there will be another with this thing? I am not a willing fighter but I sure like the characters in this game and development of the storyline.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
Thanks guys … I’m still working on it. I did find some ammo that allows me to use a bigger weapon and I seem to get further before I get killed. I have watched a couple of videos but the sequencing can get confusing. I will take your suggestions into account. I don’t think this is the second fight … omg there will be another with this thing? I am not a willing fighter but I sure like the characters in this game and development of the storyline.
The first encounter with a Praetorian was back on Horizon (the battle just before you had the Ashley/Kaidan cameo). And I personally had more difficulty in that first battle than I had in this second one.

Unless we're all misinterpreting your first post and you're really at another location facing another villain (although the only other things that can be described as a "giant metal thing" are the Colossus at Haestrom and the
Spoiler:
end boss)...