You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Broken Sword: The Angel of Death - frustrating bugs!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword: The Angel of Death - frustrating bugs!

Hi all

I am not technically smart by any accounts. I am having a couple of problems with Broken Sword: The Angel of Death and havent been able to find a solution to them and wondered if anyone can help. The first is that all the characters are in black, i have tried changing my settings in BIOS and changing the affinity setting to one CPU but this doesnt seem to have helped but i am not that bothered about this problem, i can play the game with it. My main problem is that everytime i play the game and then go to load a saved game it pops up with a "bug" window and shuts the game down therefore the only way i can play the whole thing is in one sitting which is impossible for me as i dont have that much time - any suggestions are welcome! Im not very good with technical lingo so please reply in as plain of terms as you can - thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

They have a 1.1 Patch for the EU version
http://www.gamershell.com/download_16295.shtml
Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #3

If this is the gog.com version, you should file a bugreport with them. I fixed my problems by setting processor affinity of the game exe permanently to 1 with imagecfg. But mine were soundrelated and not similar to yours.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

Sorry should have said i have tried downloading the patch but nothing changes. I bought it online from Amazon so came in a box - it has THQ on it.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Any idea what the "bug" message says?
---
This is how I fixed the black characters
Push the windows button + R (on your keyboard)
Type msconfig & click ok
Click on the "Boot" tab
Select the "Advance options..." button
Click the check mark next to "Number of processors:"
Select 1
Click "Ok" twice, & reboot your computer.

This will slow your computer down. (After all your only using 1 core on your CPU)
Once your done with the game, make sure to set it back to default.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawa View Post
If this is the gog.com version, you should file a bugreport with them. I fixed my problems by setting processor affinity of the game exe permanently to 1 with imagecfg. But mine were soundrelated and not similar to yours.
is your game from gog as I have the original dvd version & after installation of image.cfg it didn't have any effect on the game. I have to use msconfig or the bios to work.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #7

image.cfg? I use imagecfg.exe and there is nothing to install per say, you modify the exe by using a command line. And yes, it's the GoG version.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #8

well I was trying to adjust the exe file with image.cfg but it was the original dvd. On confirmation that image.cfg worked on gog's exe file I downloaded tonight from gog & in actual fact I didn't need to install image.cfg so they must have fixed it. Running on win 7 64
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #9

Hi,

I just noticed this post.

Have no fear!

When the DVD version of 'The Angel of Death' launched in 2006 multi-core
processors were not yet commonplace in home computing.

Unfortunately the game suffered with issues on some of these processors.

We recently launched an updated digital version of the game via Good Old
Games, this overcomes the problems faced with the disc version.

We are currently investigating whether it will be possible to create a patch
for older disc only versions of the game.

As a preliminary step, please ensure that you have updated to v1.1 via the update available on our website:

http://revolution.co.uk/?page_id=7&game_id=7

This will update the game data files to the latest version, while it does not yet fix the silhouetted characters issue, I will update this thread with further information as we know more.

Best

Robert Megone
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #10

Another quick update:

We are currently investigating a method that will allow people who have issues with silhouetted characters to play the disc version of the game, it would be fantastic if you could try this and let us know how it works for you.

- Install the update v1.1 from our website.

http://revolution.co.uk/bs4_g/BS4_Patch_1.1.zip

- Unzip 'BS4_Patch_1.1.zip' and run the file named 'BS4 Patch_1.1.exe'. This will update your game data to the necessary version.

- Download and unzip the following file from our website, this file contains a replacement 'bs4pc.exe' neccesary to overcome the graphical issues.

http://revolution.co.uk/bs4_g/BS4_Replacement_Executable.zip

- Copy the replacement 'bs4pc.exe' to the following folder choosing to replace the existing file.

C:\Program Files\THQ\Revolution Software Ltd\Broken Sword The Angel of Death

Please let me know if you have any difficulty with the process, I will do all I can to assist you.

There is a small chance that this process will invalidate previous saved games.

Kind regards.

Robert Megone