You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Stuck in Longest Journey chapter 2 (very quick question to anyone who knows)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #1

Default Stuck in Longest Journey chapter 2 (very quick question to anyone who knows)

Outside the cinema, I have got rid of detective, now I know I need to do something with this fusebox, but im not sure what exactly to do.

I DONT want a hint, this is why I am not looking at uhs, I just want to know if I have missed something that might be needed for this puzzle (a yes or no)

Here is my inventory. (and I haven’t gone out with zak yet, I figure the pavilion will appear on the map after I find cortez)
  • Cashcard,
  • photo,
  • diary,
  • monkey,
  • organic leaf,
  • pushpin,
  • rubber glove (fixed with band-aid),
  • poisoned sweets,
  • half eaten sweet,
  • clamp with clothesline on the end (also know about putting the inflated duck around it to open it.)
  • gold ring,
  • cowboy hat,
  • monkey eye,
  • and deflated duck.

So basically, I only want to know whether I have what I need to enter the cinema, or not, (I just want to cut out the need for back tracking and pixel hunting if its not needed.) If i have missed something, just knowing will keep my spirits high while i pixel-hunt, happy in the knowledge im not just wasting my time)

Hope you can help

PS: (I might be asking a few questions like this throughout my playthrough, is it okay to rebump this thread if the need may arise in the future. i want to figure out the puzzles myself, but when there's tons of areas and im totally stumped, being able to restrict where i need to pixel hunt (esp in a game that has many areas like this one) would be a life-saver)

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-24-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

The simple answer, without giving any other hints, is NO, you don't have everything you need to enter the theater. You're missing a very important item.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Heh, I was going to give the same answer and then Trunkyo beat me to it. But IMO it's a bit strange that you don't have it, given some of the other stuff you're carring around.

PS: I bet the mods would prefer you to use one and the same thread for all your questions.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #4

thanks guys, off i go to look around again

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-24-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #5

I hate how my brain is just plain old evil when it comes to these games. Why did I disregard every corner of the subway station? Seriously cant understand why I didn't think the subway was worth searching as hard as every other place on the map (not that i conciously thought that, but its what happened!!!!, 4 times I went through them) my brain is literally stupid.

I hate that I resorted to UHS, making myself so angry at being so stupid and totally put myself off continuing with this game. (Plus it wasn't even a hint, it literally said the key is in the subway.)

I’m literally upset I have ruined my experience with this game by using help, I was really getting into the atmosphere, but hours of moving my mouse around the screen at one mm a second and realising I ignored a WHOLE frickin screen today has totally kicked me out. I’m done with it I think.

Oh and to add to the fun I’m stuck again. Yay! thank good i read a walkthrough for this as it turns out its a bug i have ran into. the clothesline, the clamp, and the duck to open the clamp doesn't work and its a bug that i cant get past even loading really older games.

Anyone have a save just after you get the key? i have searched google but the only site i found that is said to have this save file is down.

its unhealthy to be this frustrated at a game.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-24-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Hey, come on! Don't be so incredibly hard on yourself! There's nothing wrong with your brain, it wasn't made for pixelhunting adventure games. You're a perfectionist, that's all.

Need a hint? Ask us. I'm pretty good at giving subtle or not so subtle hints, if I say so myself. You decide the level of our hints.

I don't remember that bug. I'll see if I still have a save just after the key, but the chapters are not all that linear so you may have to redo stuff, which is frustrating and boring.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Hey, come on! Don't be so incredibly hard on yourself! There's nothing wrong with your brain, it wasn't made for pixelhunting adventure games. You're a perfectionist, that's all.

Need a hint? Ask us. I'm pretty good at giving subtle or not so subtle hints, if I say so myself. You decide the level of our hints.

I don't remember that bug. I'll see if I still have a save just after the key, but the chapters are not all that linear so you may have to redo stuff, which is frustrating and boring.
i dont mind if there's a bit to redo. thanks hope you find something I appreciate it fien, thanks for helping me simmer down, will definitely come here for hints if i am ever super stuck

and i cant help being so hard on myself. i know at some points i will obviously need help from a guide, but its devastating when i miss something like that

i am calming down now, i will continue on (anyone has a saved game for me.), but hopefully i can complete a few puzzles without help consecutively and get rid of this annoyance

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-24-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

I have a save but not right after the key. The fusebox problem has already been solved and another puzzle is almost solved. That's the best I can offer you.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a save but not right after the key. The fusebox problem has already been solved and another puzzle is almost solved. That's the best I can offer you.
thats fine, VERY VERY GRATEFUL

you in the cinema then?

edit: (im such an over-editor )

from what read there are no glitches past this one so this would allow me to play on without worry.

upload it or send it as an attachment in a pm or something i guess if you can,

as i said, im very grateful for your encouragement and allowing me to try and get back into the game. you are my fav member on this board

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Okidoki, here's the link. Hope I didn't do anything stupid this time. It's save #6.

http://www.4shared.com/file/fokbtfZj/Save.html

Fusebox unlocked with key. When the fuse was blown, the lights went out and Freddie opened the door to the back alley. You followed him. He went through the fire door and you are now trying to find a way into the cinema.

Some objects in the inventory you listed have disappeared: I used the duck, clamp, glove. You'll see the hat again if you look around. It is part of the unfinished puzzle. I hadn't picked up the leaf yet, so you'll have to do that later when you're back in the Border House.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

thanks!!!!!!

i already completed the rest of that shadow puzzle....soooo funny and clever, and reinvigorated some faith in my ability to actually do okay in these games

going to play chapter 3 right now.

you are a lifesaver.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #12

Stuck again, again I’m not going near UHS this time for sure but I need some guidance.

Chapter 4: in arcadia, at the library, been asking around. Found out about the island to the south (the winged storytellers mentioned by westhouse), and know I need to get the bird back for the weird sailor so he can pull in a favour and get me a ride on the boat. I don’t know how to win at cups yet, not sure if I’m supposed to by now or not.

I also know I need to find that woman who is supposed to be staying at the inn to deliver the map and also get her to go to the white dragon so she can be the new navigator.

And I need to get the wind going again.......

Three things I know I need to do, but on every screen on the map it seems like I’m at a dead end. i have been through every dialogue choice with every character on the map it seems, including every book possibility in the enclave.

Also I used that synthetic leaf on the abranax (whatever his name is) garden, April mentioned something about a book or something, but nothing has presented itself with dialogue choices with the librarian in regards to it.

Here are my items:
  • cashcard
  • diary
  • pin
  • ring
  • sweets
  • half eaten sweet
  • photo
  • monkey
  • flute
  • delivery list
  • stopwatch
  • screwdriver
  • aren coins
  • map of the northlands

Again, I just want to know if it’s a hotspot (i.e. missing item), or an actual puzzle I haven't figured out yet. That would allow me to focus on one area and lower my wasted time without ruining the reward of actually solving something .

I would seriously be so grateful for any advice, I know its a terribly long post so I apologise

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 08-25-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior *female* member

I think you have everything you need to make progress and solve the next problem. It's hard for me to be sure because there are so many essential dialogues etc. But as far as objects are concerned you're okay.

About the Book of Secrets. Not a real spoiler, but if you want to find out for yourself I won't tell you.

Last edited by Fien; 08-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

yeah as long as i know i have the items that should make things easy enough for me to progress tomorrow.

so much going on in this chapter at this point, that a night of sleep and another good look around should sort things out i hope.

thanks again Fien
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 AM   #15

Hah. magnetised screwdriver.

evil little puzzle really. the only reason i solved it was by trial an error checking over every item possible with the cups game. which i figured was the only logical place i would manage to proceed in the chapter. (i wish i would have been smart enough to have at least an inkling though )

nice though. not much time to figure out what to do with the calculator. but at least i have something new to wander arcadia with now
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
the only reason i solved it was by trial an error checking over every item possible with the cups game. which i figured was the only logical place i would manage to proceed in the chapter.
Yeah, me too.

Quote:
nice though. not much time to figure out what to do with the calculator. but at least i have something new to wander arcadia with now
Hey, don't go wandering off again! Stay a while...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:

Hey, don't go wandering off again! Stay a while...

Haha, I literally quit the game after i got the calc, was being called. So that marketplace will be the first place i investigate of course
Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #18

okay, in chapter 11 i think.

got my id off burns flipper (i love him)

and currently wondering what the hell im supposed to do, tried every item on every hotspot within the four new areas.

station with the broken pizza machine and clothes shop, the tube hall with the woman at the desk, the rooftop with the cop after you go on the shuttle, and of course jerry!

i have:

cashcard
diary
ring
photo
monkey
fluts
stopwatch
iron coin
bind potion
talisman of the balance
blue dragon eye
white dragons eye
map of the stars
disc of the balance
Fake ID

okay i have a feeling that pizza machine will be a big help getting rid of someone in April's way, but i cant figure out how to get one

basically again can you give a very very small hint and confirm i have the items i need? am i on the right track with the pizza machine? or is that just another machine thats not supposed to work like in aprils house (i doubt it)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Hi again Idrisguitar, I hope you're still enjoying the game! I hope Fien won't mind me giving you a nudge in the right direction.

No, April won't need to make use of the pizza machine, so don't waste your time with it. There's a very important item in April's inventory that she needs to show someone. If I remember correctly, doing this will trigger a seemingly unrelated action to occur elsewhere (and a new inventory item will become available). I remember being stumped at the same place during one of my subsequent replays when I hadn't played the game for a few years. Hope this helps!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #20

thanks for the hint. im much less upset at a bit of help now compared to at the beginning, knowing i have done so much of this game on my own, i know i am good at solving puzzles now. so can feel a little more forgiving when i do occasionally get stuck and ask for a hint.

EDIT:
as soon as i booted up the game, i knew exactly what you hinted at, straight away, give the star map to burns. kind of stumped why i didn't think of that. i just focused on the posh city a bit to much.

thanks!

Anyway I love the game, been going to slowly because since starting the game i have been on a mammoth journey myself, got a great job (my first! ), moved 300 miles away and had my first week. just been getting back into the game last few days.

excited to see how it ends, and then to choose what game i choose after

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 10-02-2011 at 08:15 AM.