You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Save Games in Sherlock Holmes: Rose Tattoo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

Default Save Games in Sherlock Holmes: Rose Tattoo

Hi everyone,

I'm new to DosBox and I'm having trouble with a recently downloaded version of "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Curse of the Rose Tattoo" (phew, what a title). I got it from [link removed] - a site that, as you probably know, bundles the game as an exe file and everything so you're just supposed to install and then go.

Everything seems to be running smooth - game plays full-screen through the intro sequence no problem and I can control the main character - but I can't seem to save the game.

When I enter the save menu I can select and name the slot to save in, but as soon as I return to either the save or load menu (either after or before quitting the game) the slot will be empty. The only slot with a name is number one which from the beginning has been named '[site name removed]'

I've tried asking for help at their site, to no avail. Maybe you guys have experience with the site and/or just have an idea for a solution.

So - can I possibly find a way to save internally through the game and/or does DosBox have a save function?

Running windows 7 btw.

Thanks in advance,
Haplo

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 01-14-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: site links removed - probably illegal
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I highly doubt that's a legal version of the game, but I can't read the language. It certainly shouldn't be free at least.

If that's the case, we can't help you here.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Default Solution found

Dear all (and Dale),

Though I doubt this will be of any help to anyone, since forum-policy here seems to be to remove any referrals to external sites, I will still post the solution.

First of all, thank you Dale for your reply. I don't know if the site from which I bought the game holds all rights to it (I also highly doubt it, since their main commodity is Abandonware). But frankly, I don't think anyone at Mythos Software cares a whole lot about that, seeing as the game is 15 years old, the company no longer exists, and no other distribution channels offer the game. If anyone is making old art like this available to interested souls (plus putting work into making it compatible with new operating systems), I would imagine the developers to be thankful.

If you feel like looking into whether the aforementioned site actually is a legal business, they do have an English version of their site. Though reluctant to admit it, I do not speak Slovakian either.

Anyway, the solution, to anyone interested:

The game, as described, will run perfectly from just launching it straight after downloading (even without unpacking/zipping/raring). However, the save game problem occurs if the game hasn't been properly unpacked. After making sure that everything has been 100% packed out the internal save function in the game should work perfectly. Did for me at least.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work on your site. Don't let that mean El Odio get to you.

/Haplo