You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Grim Fandango Compatibility?!?

Yes or No?!? Is Grim Fandango compatible with Windows XP?!? I've heard so many mixed anwers on this I don't know what to think anymore!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Escaped Monkey Island

Yes, it'll work on XP. There's no reason why it wouldn't
Old 04-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Um I downloaded the Grim demo and I'm using XP and it runs like Poo. The shadows don't dissapear the game crashes constantly and video clips don't play properly.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Demos are no test of compatibility. Take the Monkey Island 3 demo, it crashes & burns so quick on my computer, that it'd make your head spin. However, the actual game runs just fine on my Windows ME 1.3Ghz computer.

So my advice is to never use a demo as a basis of whether you can play it or not. Also, I've found that some software claims not to run on, well ME, and yet I find it does, with absolutely no problems (my copies of Broken Sword 1 & 2, which are likely re-releases). So again, the only actual way of finding out whether or not the thing will run, is to contact somebody who actually has both.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 04-08-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

I was just playing Grim the other day, and I run WinXP. No problem.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
Yes or No?!? Is Grim Fandango compatible with Windows XP?!? I've heard so many mixed anwers on this I don't know what to think anymore!
The game runs fine on Windows XP. Just make sure to disable the hyperthreading option in your Bios settings, otherwise the game might freeze frequently and have chippy sound (or no sound at all).
Old 04-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #7

ok, thnx........guess i can try to locate this game now.......if it doesn't work i can always sell it on ebay.......lol
Old 04-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #8

Also get the patch from LucasArts.com, there is a scene in the game that goes too fast on some computers without it.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 04-08-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to SOG-Karimi Send a message via MSN to SOG-Karimi Send a message via Yahoo to SOG-Karimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie
The game runs fine on Windows XP. Just make sure to disable the hyperthreading option in your Bios settings, otherwise the game might freeze frequently and have chippy sound (or no sound at all).
How do i do that , i get those problems .

As for the scene that must be slowed down , heh, i ran so many programs the comp went slowly and managed to complete the scene.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
Protector of the Seal

I replayed Grim recently on XP and ran into many problems. The videos were unbearably choppy unless I turned compatibility mode on. However, this caused there to be no sound in the game itself. So I found myself turning compatibility mode on and off quite frequently. It was annoying, but I managed to get through the whole game... wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first time due to the problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:10 PM   #11
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I played it on XP too and it went quite smoothly, as it did on some friends' computers. Remember to download that damn patch.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:42 PM   #12

It probably has much more to do with your video/sound card and/or drivers. GF is a DirectX 6 game so some of the newer cards and drivers may not implement those older features correctly or at all for that matter. I would paticularly suspect any motherboard integrated devices of this. Unfortunanly, there is likely nothing you can do about this short of digging up old video and sound cards then hoping they are supported under XP.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #13
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Quote:
ok, thnx........guess i can try to locate this game now.......if it doesn't work i can always sell it on ebay.......lol
Well, I believe I heard somewhere, most likely in the ScummVM forums, that a engine ala ScummVM is being developed for Grim. Its by no means near completion, and could still be many years until we reach that point, but the attempt it being made.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 04-09-2004, 05:01 AM   #14
Fienepien

Quote:
LucasArts released 4 updated adventures as "The Entertainment Pack" last year. Don't know if it is still available where you are. Grim Fandango, The Dig, Sam & Max, Full Throttle. They have all been updated to run on XP, ME, SE, 2000 etcetera.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #15

Quote:
That's no way to talk about a classic!

Runs fine here too, although I think I installed it back when I was running win2k, now using winXP. I found myself really enjoying the game last week, despite having finished it ten times already. Manny for president!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
LucasArts released 4 updated adventures as "The Entertainment Pack" last year. Don't know if it is still available where you are. Grim Fandango, The Dig, Sam & Max, Full Throttle. They have all been updated to run on XP, ME, SE, 2000 etcetera.
Yes this is a great bundle, 4 great games in 4 dvd cases. Although I didn't use this GF install disc (have original disc), I did install and play Sam& Max off of it, and it ran like a charm on XP, never a glitch (which can't entirely be said about scummvm) and the graphics looked alot better. Don't know if they used some new graphic filter or something, but no grainy big pixels. You don't even have to install the game! It runs straight from the disc w/o loss of savegames.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #17
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Yes this is a great bundle, 4 great games in 4 dvd cases.
That sounds like a cool set. Can anyone confirm if it is still available to purchase?? I'm very interested.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #18
Lucasarts Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
That sounds like a cool set. Can anyone confirm if it is still available to purchase?? I'm very interested.
The entertainment pack is only available in Europe. It is still in some shoppes but it isn't online any more. I do have Grim Fandango and Sam & Max from this pack, on my for sale page. See my signature.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #19

why can't compilations like these be more readily available in the U.S.? i'm sure there are more than one or two people that would like to get their hands on these games........oh well, i've already ordered grim fandango (jewel case) on ebay so i guess i have no choice but to see if it will work..... ......btw, just wondering what the entertainment pack goes for, because i bought grim fandango for 12 bucks on ebay.....is that a reasonable price?

edit: it doesn't matter anyway because the entertainment pack is no where to be found.....not even on ebay

Last edited by Legolas813; 04-09-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #20
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
This release of Grim Fandango is, apparently, no more up-to-date than you can manage yourself - it's just shipped with the Grim Fandango patch (version 1.1, which you can download from the LEC site) built-in. I don't think The Dig is updated either (it's just the original Windows version as opposed to the DOS version), but I could be wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas545763
btw, just wondering what the entertainment pack goes for, because i bought grim fandango for 12 bucks on ebay.....is that a reasonable price?
I seem to remember the Entertainment Pack retailing for about £20 (~$30 US). I haven't seen it around in a while. Instead, Activision have recently re-released Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and The Dig separately in individual DVD cases - they go for about £10 (~$15) each, though they usually end up in "buy two get one free" special offers so they end up cheaper.