Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Gray Matter Help (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/28044-gray-matter-help.html)

Len Green 01-20-2011 04:37 PM

More help needed.
I have checked the several walkthroughs but none seen to cover my problem - nor does the video-playthrough-walkthrough!
Pretty well all of the walklthroughs seem to be (not too wonderful) translations of originally German ones

Sam has got hold of the letter from Charles' mother. She has steamed it open. She now has to use it on or with Charles. But she FIRST has to seal the envelope up again!

Exactly how does she do this?

Len Green 01-21-2011 03:14 AM

Done it!

I know how I did it, but I don't understand why I did what I did! :( :( :(

SamanthaEverett 01-25-2011 10:11 PM

Hey evereybody. I'm having trouble with

Gray Matter\Data\3D Viewer\Foster_Care_letter.pak (most important one, it prevents me from playing last chapter.)

Gray Matter\Data\insets\INSET_TANK_CONTROLS.pak
Gray Matter\Data\Video\CH1_CS03_end2.bik
Gray Matter\Data\Video\CH3_CS10_TankIsolation.bik
Gray Matter\Data\Video\CH5_CS16_Fragment_01B.bik
Gray Matter\Data\Video\CH7_CS20_DavidFindsSam.bik
Gray Matter\Data\Video\gamecredits1.bik

can any of you please upload these files? Thank you ^_^

fov 01-30-2011 10:22 PM

Are you playing a legal version if the game? If yes, contact the publisher for tech support. If not, we can't help you here.

SamanthaEverett 02-02-2011 04:55 AM

Ofc I'm playing legal version. I'll try to contact with them thank you

fov 02-07-2011 06:08 PM

Good, I hope they're able to help you get it straightened out!

Len Green 02-25-2011 06:28 AM

I got stuck about a month ago and put GM on hold since then. Carried on yesterday hoping I'd get a fresh idea - no such luck - PLEASE HELP !
At the very end of chapter 4. I leave the gymnasium and exit the lobby to the quad - but no group of 'volunteers' there as should be.
I have checked with the English walkthrough (and even, reluctantly, the video-walkthru) and seems I've done everythhing ???
When I'm in the gym and try to put the flash powder traps in place I can't, nor can I 'bring up' the locker room at all! Please see the excerpt from the walkthru below.
I'm pretty sure that I did this successfully some tome back in chapter-4 --- but it doesn't work now when I need it.
It can't be a dead-end situation can it ?
If all else fails perhaps someone can send me a save as close as possible to the start of chapter 5 ??
TIA.

Quote:

Chapter 4 (Ending) – Part 18 ----- 97%---------- and talk to Helena after talking to her leave, return to the lobby then go to the St. Edmund’s Hall Gymnasium, click the house sign when you enter (located by the door) select the flash power traps from your inventory then go over to the locker room, we’re done here go back to the lobby then go back outside to talk to our friends.

Len Green 02-25-2011 04:15 PM

2 or 3 hours later ...... tried various things - still absolutely no joy ...... amgetting more convinced that this may be a dead-end.******
:devil: :crazy: :frusty:

I downloaded a pile of savegames from the Net and they seem to cover the whole game.
One is ideal for me - it is at the very end of chapter 4 and immediately after ther point where I am stuck.
Couldn't be better ! :)
So I can carry on now - but if anybody is interested, I'd be interested to know exactly what held me up and seems to be a game-stopper ???

Len Green 03-03-2011 04:45 PM

Stuck once again in a very similar way. I can't understand it. Asmfar as I can tell I've done EVERYTHING throughout day-6. I have checked with several quite different, even contradicting, walkthroughs and I can't find anything they say which I haven't done.
And yet I can't peoceed to day-7.

In desparation, I turned to the savegames on the Net. But the earliest one is a quarter way through that chapter and a lot seems to have happened!

Has any kind playergot a savegame at the very beginning of day-7? If so, please let me know here and ... TIA ................
Thanks in Advance!

zenger 03-04-2011 12:55 PM

Hi Len Green, I've made a save just at the end of chapter 6, that way You won't miss neither the chapter 6 ending cinematic nor the start of the chapter seven.

To finish the Chapter 6 from this savegame, You just have to:
Spoiler:

Look at the London map from the inventory, when a closer look appears then click:

-TOP RED CIRCLE
-BOTTOM RED CIRCLE
-LEFT RED CIRCLE
-RIGHT RED CIRCLE

That way two lines will be created and They will intersect in one point and the chapter will end

I've uploaded the savegame to my web, You can download the savegame from here:

LINK

It will be the first savegame

I hope that helps

Kind regards

Len Green 03-04-2011 05:12 PM

Very many sincere thanks!

This game has given me so many serious 'technical' troubles that I couldn't carry on without help. This is VERY unusuall for me... and I can't understand why!!

Please keep an eye on this thread - I may need your help again before I can finish.
Once again --- you saved the day and I greatly appreciate it! :) :D

zenger 03-05-2011 08:29 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Len Green, I'm glad that the savegame was useful

I'll keep an eye on this thread :D

Kind regards

Len Green 03-07-2011 12:35 AM

Just to inform you that I finished the game - but not without further difficulties. ;( :pan:+

Thanking you again for your help! :D

I'm afraid that overall I go along with the detailed Review here on AG.
I do not agree with every single criticism but have others of my own. There were far too many technical & gameplay hitches and drawbacks.
In addition the story, although Jane Jensen's wonderful storytelling and the marvelous voice acting, was too unrealistic for my liking and did not hold together - and the ending was too over the top for me!

Overall I was disappointed although I guess that the reason for so many dislikes is due to the troubled lengthy history of the game and budgetary restrictions.

That's about it for me. I'm truly sorry since otherwise I believe that Gray Matter could have been an all time block-buster and classic.

zeromyers 04-09-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len Green (Post 573425)
I got stuck about a month ago and put GM on hold since then. Carried on yesterday hoping I'd get a fresh idea - no such luck - PLEASE HELP !
At the very end of chapter 4. I leave the gymnasium and exit the lobby to the quad - but no group of 'volunteers' there as should be.
I have checked with the English walkthrough (and even, reluctantly, the video-walkthru) and seems I've done everythhing ???
When I'm in the gym and try to put the flash powder traps in place I can't, nor can I 'bring up' the locker room at all! Please see the excerpt from the walkthru below.
I'm pretty sure that I did this successfully some tome back in chapter-4 --- but it doesn't work now when I need it.
It can't be a dead-end situation can it ?
If all else fails perhaps someone can send me a save as close as possible to the start of chapter 5 ??
TIA.

I am on the same part. is it just glitched?! I have double checked EVERYTHING, cant talk to anyone else, but they wont appear! Please help.

kerlif 04-09-2011 04:26 PM

when you're in the gym you need to:
1) Have three elements: Flash Pots, Flash Powder and Trigger Line
2) Pour the powder into the pot and attach the line
3) Check the opening hours – the board on the right side of the entrance door
4) Use the assembled trap on the locker room door and afterwards on the lobby door

Check this out if you still can't finish the chapter
http://guides.gamepressure.com/graym...e.asp?ID=10552

Good luck :)

zeromyers 04-10-2011 09:43 AM

Yes, I have done all that.... I dont understand why it just isnt working.
It just won't let me move on from that point. I've set the traps by the locker room door, checked the hours, checked everything in the room, even put a trap on the door that leads into/out of the gym. I'm supposed to meet the others outside, but the game won't move on. It appears to have not registered the fact that I've set the traps.

May I just point out that I am playing the Xbox 360 version of the game and having double-checked everything, I'm starting to believe this is a glitch. I really don't want to have to reload a previous save-point just to come to the same dead-end glitch.

kerlif 04-10-2011 10:33 AM

I don't think there's differences between xbox and pc. That must not be the problem. Go to the map and see what locations are still gold. If you have a gold location go there and see whats left to be done. you cant go on if you still have a gold location, there must be a puzzle left somewhere

tsa 04-20-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromyers (Post 577647)
Yes, I have done all that.... I dont understand why it just isnt working.
It just won't let me move on from that point. I've set the traps by the locker room door, checked the hours, checked everything in the room, even put a trap on the door that leads into/out of the gym. I'm supposed to meet the others outside, but the game won't move on. It appears to have not registered the fact that I've set the traps.

May I just point out that I am playing the Xbox 360 version of the game and having double-checked everything, I'm starting to believe this is a glitch. I really don't want to have to reload a previous save-point just to come to the same dead-end glitch.

Spoiler:
Have you called Charles's mother?

Bakhtosh 04-24-2011 12:21 PM

If someone get's stuck it would be very helpful if he posts the progress points for the single tasks of the current chapter (they are displayed at the progress window) and which location names at the map are still written in golden letters.

Since Gray Matter is very non-linear during a chapter these info are important to guess what is still left to be done.

@Len Green:
I think some of your problems weren't technical problems, but instead you just missed something since some points aren't very intuitive to get (if you want, you can upload the savegames from the situations where you think you got stuck and I'll have a look).

@zeromyers:
It's been two weeks since you've asked for help, but if you're still stuck, please post the task points and map location names written in golden letters and I think we can help you.

nNikita 05-21-2011 09:11 PM

Help please?

Hello,

I'm stuck at Chapter 2

100% total
84/84 - 100% - Betrayers Price - Part 2
40/40 - 100% - Strange Events at Horspath Track
164/166 - 100% - The Mysterious Doctor Styles
19/19 - 100% - Sam Plays Lab Assistant
41/41 - 100% - Sam Gets Carded
17/20 - 85% - Chapter 2 Bonus

I can't figure out what I'm missing - I even checked a walkthrough and apparently I didn't miss anything and was supposed to complete and move on but somehow I'm stuck at 164/166.

I'm thinking its a bug, if so can any of you tell me what to download to restart Chapter 2 and where to place the file ?

Help is much appreciated, thanks!