Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Gray Matter Help (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/28044-gray-matter-help.html)

stopo 11-15-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolasFigaro (Post 563471)
Which students have you found? Do you know who is missing and can't get him/her to follow?

Where the party is i get 5 student.2 boy 3 girl.

NikolasFigaro 11-15-2010 09:02 AM

@kotkin
You can zoom in on documents using the mouse wheel. It's similar to the zoom funcion used in real time strategy games, for example.

@stopo
Hmm... What do the progression bars say? (You can find the progression bars icon in the upper left corner of the screen, on the "gargoyle"). If you've already done everything regarding the students, the bar will be full. You probably are missing something else, and the progression bars will help you find out what that is.

Anyway,

Spoiler:
You have to convince 4 people (I don't remember their names): The scottish girl near the payphone, the american who thinks he is a film maker (and is having a fight with a girl), the shy bloke sitting on the bench, and the rich girl who is lying in the sun. The 2 other people are a) yourself and b) a guy, Malik, who doesn't need convincing, he's gonna be there anyway.

Hope that helped.

Thorn 11-15-2010 09:18 AM

Has anyone gotten 20/100% of the Chapter 2 Bonus?
What are you supposed to do in that case? I only have 17...

Oh, by the way, I am also stuck. I have 156/166 on Mysterious Dr. Styles. I think it has something to do with the list of people in his department and the condolences card.

Which people should you draw a line over? I've tried both ways but I get no "That's it!", and I have no idea what to do next either...

EDIT: Oh, I have nothing except Gold around Dread Hill House.

NikolasFigaro 11-15-2010 09:32 AM

@ Thorn

You have to draw a line over the people that ARE on the condolences card. That leaves only ONE name without a line. Then it should automatically continue with the revelation of the only person who doesn't like Dr. Styles.

Thorn 11-15-2010 09:39 AM

Oooh! Thank you Nikolas! I thought he had two enemies, hehe, guess I can't read handwriting too well ;D

Arthmus 11-15-2010 10:49 AM

Anyone help on chapter 4? I'm at 93%, i have 92% on always a plant in the house and 81% on setting a trap. everywhere is greyed out except st Edmund hall. I have checked the rooms in the undergraduate wing and spoke to Helena, but now i can't do anything else. I can't get into the graduate wing to check the other 2 rooms.

nendor 11-15-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthmus (Post 563510)
Anyone help on chapter 4? I'm at 93%, i have 92% on always a plant in the house and 81% on setting a trap. everywhere is greyed out except st Edmund hall. I have checked the rooms in the undergraduate wing and spoke to Helena, but now i can't do anything else. I can't get into the graduate wing to check the other 2 rooms.

Spoiler:
If I remenber welll, take the camera in Helena´s room

RLB 11-15-2010 01:18 PM

I got stuck on the end of chapter 3

Mostly, all progress bars are at 100%.. except one "Psi and Psi Again" 81%

I just
Spoiler:
finished talking with the police detective on the phone about something unusual which happened back then in the 2002 accident
and now i don't know what i have to do to complete this task i already tryed everything in the labs.. but i could be missing something.. or not in the labs too! Any hints? :)

Thorn 11-15-2010 01:24 PM

I'm at chapter 4, and I went up the carfax tower and checked the red box. There's a note in there but it's not a "hotspot", so I can't take it.

Is it for later in the game or is there a bug? :/

EDIT: RLB-- have you used the 'word' machine in Dr Styles private lab?

NikolasFigaro 11-15-2010 01:31 PM

@ Thorn
I think that the red box on top of the Carfax Tower has simply to do with the first chapter. And the note is identical to the one you find during the "deadalus" challenge in chapter one. I might be wrong though, although in chapter 4 you definetly won't be using it, so don't worry;)

@RLB

Spoiler:
Have you looked at the photos on the desk in the office? For a second time? Especially at the one with the blue tiles in the background? If not, you have to take that photo (it show the couple drinking at some kind of party), scan it and find something noteworthy...

RLB 11-15-2010 01:36 PM

Thanks folks! Actually what i was missing is that i didn't consider clicking AGAIN in the
Spoiler:
word generator machine
after it was all set up and ready to go.. so i gave it another shot and the chapter ended.. now onwards to chapter 4! :)

Thorn 11-15-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolasFigaro (Post 563524)
@ Thorn
I think that the red box on top of the Carfax Tower has simply to do with the first chapter. And the note is identical to the one you find during the "deadalus" challenge in chapter one. I might be wrong though, although in chapter 4 you definetly won't be using it, so don't worry;)

PHEW, thanks for clearing that out! Though that means that I am completely stuck, argh.

So, questions:
Spoiler:

- Are you supposed to do anything with the filter or something to get a sample from the water?
- Angela wanted to be alone after she gave me a paper fairy.
- I've gotten into all the rooms and gotten a camera from Ms. Erotic herself, but I still can't figure out what I'm supposed to do at the library. All Sam does is search for David Styles and she won't talk to the librarian, nor take paper.
- I saw Laura in the house, talked to Dr. Styles... No idea what to do next in the house.
- I've bugged the phone of that horrible guy that hates Dr. Styles.

Anyone feeling like just giving me a little nudge in the right direction?

EDIT:
Alright, to clarify... I have 100% on "There is something in the Water" and "plant a trap"... 0% in C Railer Swoll and 19/33 in Bonus.

Sam won't go to the gym and hide and I have no idea what to do in the library... :(

NikolasFigaro 11-15-2010 03:02 PM

@Thorn

OK, one thing at a time! I'll try to give some hints, without ruining the experience:

Spoiler:
-You only have to visit the library in chpater 4 to ask some info regarding the "daedalus" game.

-After Angela gives you the paper fairy, there isn't anything left to do with her. No worries there.

-You don't have to do anything with the filters or the water, other than simply looking at them.

Now, to the tricky part:

Spoiler:
Have you understood what your goal is? You have to dig up some dirt on the other students. Plus, you also have to set up a trap to catch the "prankster" who dyed the pool red, according to Sam.

So, have you checked out the students? You have to gain access to their rooms. Specifically the two guys' rooms (The American's and the shy bloke's, sorry, can't remember their names...). You have already talked to Angela, you have talked with the sex-bomb (the name thing again...), and you've found out that Malik works for the professor who hates Dr. Styles.

Now, regarding the traps... You have to set up some kind of trap in the Gym. You can find the stuff you need in Mephistpheles' store, after you check out the gym itself.

Have you done all this?

Thorn 11-15-2010 03:05 PM

Not visited the library regarding that since Sam doesn't "have anything to say" to the librarian, but the rest... Yup :/

EDIT: Am I supposed to make Sam hide anywhere perhaps regarding the traps? In that case I haven't found that hotspot... Or is it an event that is triggered?

kotkin 11-15-2010 03:07 PM

Nicolas Figaro thank you very much, but my laptop has arrows instead of wheel and doesn't do anything :( anyway Im from Greece as well!!

NikolasFigaro 11-15-2010 03:17 PM

Ok, I finished chapter 4 last night and I'm trying to remember every step... I was stuck for a while, simply because I had forgot to talk to Dr. Styles in the house. After that, I went to the campus, met the rest of the gang, and the chapter ended.

Spoiler:
Anyway, you DON'T have to hide somewhere in the gym, simply set up the traps. Since you have 100% in that area, you are good to go!

Once again, forget about the library. It only has to do with the C Railer Swoll "quest", which is the next "step" in the daedalus challenge. From what I've understood, you haven't done anything regarding this, so, no bonuses. Go and talk to Mephistopheles, if you want to complete C Railer Swoll.

Are you sure you have checked thoroughly EVERY room? In the shy bloke's room, you have to take a photo and his mom's phone number. Beware: You have to use your mobile phone on the number to add it to your contacts. In the American's room, you have to check out the script.

After all that, return to the sex-bomb's room. Talk to her about all the others.

Have you done all the above?

Thorn 11-15-2010 03:29 PM

Since I have 0% C Railer Swoll and there is nothing Mephistopheles says to me concerning this/I cannot talk to him anymore.

Sam says "there, now both doors are covered" after I'm done with all the traps so there's no triggering of a cutscene there.

Man, I must have missed something major! Unluckely I cannot restart the chapter either because all my savefiles are ~57% of Chapter 4. :frown:

Is there anything you're supposed to do with the coin you get from your first riddle or so?

Yeah, I have
Spoiler:
talked to Dr. Styles completely, the house is now gray and I have seen the rooms and trash talked with Sex Bomb...

Oh pooey ._______.

Luther10 11-15-2010 04:30 PM

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 phone booth question:

Spoiler:
I was stuck at that point for a long time yesterday till I saw the 5-letter answer on page 1 of this thread. But how did you guys get to that solution? Where is the clue?

AndreaDraco83 11-15-2010 04:34 PM

It's in the Betrayer's Price riddle:

Spoiler:
The one who sold his soul for thirty (dinars), aka Judas. The answer was also suggested by the tour guide in the Cathedral, if you took time to talk to him thoroughly.

kuze 11-15-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luther10 (Post 563539)
Chapter 2 phone booth question:

Spoiler:
I was stuck at that point for a long time yesterday till I saw the 5-letter answer on page 1 of this thread. But how did you guys get to that solution? Where is the clue?

It's in the German walkthrough I had to consult.

Seriously though, there is a clue on that paper with instructions you got from the Black Wand shop, I believe.

Luther10 11-15-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze (Post 563541)
It's in the German walkthrough I had to consult.

Seriously though, there is a clue on that paper with instructions you got from the Black Wand shop, I believe.

Yes, but does what being said on the card lead to another clue? This is where I got stumped...

Entteri 11-15-2010 08:28 PM

Chapter 8

I'm stuck in the mirror riddle of chapter 8, has anyone gotten through this yet ?
77% The game of life
0% I'm Laura Styles
82% In the Lion's den
82% Chapter 8 bonus

rayvio 11-16-2010 12:16 AM

there's a few clues hidden around, one on a heart in a jack-in-a-box and some on the paintings if you turn the black light on
Spoiler:
go in the direction where your destination looks farthest away

Mungos 11-16-2010 01:05 AM

I'm stuck on chapter 4. I've talked to everyone, took all that I could, been to all the rooms and searched them from top to bottom and now I can't do a thing.

Info:
76% total
6/53 - 11% C Railer Swoll
131/141 - 92% There's Always a Plant in the House
43/43 - 100% There Was Something in the Water
16/16 100% Setting a Trap
27/33 - 81% Chapter 4 Bonus

If somebody could help me I would be SOOOOOO HAPPYYYYY... :D

rayvio 11-16-2010 07:34 AM

Always a Plant... I'm going to guess you're stuck where I was stumped a while, trying to get into the other students wing?
Spoiler:
look at the fuse box closely, examine the fuses and the switch and Sam will finally be able to try a trick on the repair guy

as for the riddle based on the percentage I'm guessing it's the first few steps, if not then explain a bit more about what you've already done and we can probably help more
Spoiler:
look at the poster and cheshire cat in the Alice shop if you haven't already. spell "smile" (or "smiles" I can't remember for sure) on the cats teeth. look at the postcards and head to the church

Thorn 11-16-2010 09:27 AM

EDIT: rayvio:
Spoiler:
I have looked at the fusebox, but after that Sam refuses to do anything... And I have assembled the traps in the gym. What repair guy are you talking about?

zoontar 11-16-2010 10:21 AM

Hey, I'm really stuck with the C Railer Swoll riddle (it's at 11%) - I visited the shop and looked at all the hotspots there), but other than that I'm clueless... Any leads please?:)

EDIT: Never mind, already answered by rayvio... Thanks!

Chersi 11-16-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entteri (Post 563545)
I'm stuck in the mirror riddle of chapter 8, has anyone gotten through this yet ?
77% The game of life
0% I'm Laura Styles
82% In the Lion's den
82% Chapter 8 bonus

Since you are in chapter 8 , could you help me with the 12 letter mage word , Ive tryed harry houdini and many more meges I found on the net been on this 5 hours now I give up. this is from chapter 6

dekaneas297 11-16-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chersi (Post 563581)
Since you are in chapter 8 , could you help me with the 12 letter mage word , Ive tryed harry houdini and many more meges I found on the net been on this 5 hours now I give up. this is from chapter 6

Spoiler:
Try the name of the writer of Alice in Wonderland

Entteri 11-16-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chersi (Post 563581)

As was already said, try the name of the Alice in wonderland writer.
Spoiler:

Lewis Carrol if I remember correctly

Arthmus 11-16-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entteri (Post 563545)
77% The game of life
0% I'm Laura Styles
82% In the Lion's den
82% Chapter 8 bonus

The clue is in the painting outside the maze. The woman is pointing to the words "follow the path furthest away from your goal" or something like that.

Spoiler:
look at the pedestal reflected on both the left and right doors, one is always smaller than the other, follow the smaller object for about 10 turns and you will find the pedestal

ruru89 11-16-2010 02:59 PM

Hi, I'm stuck at chapter 8
Spoiler:
I have the key of Diamonds and Spades but I really can't get to the Key of Clubs, can anyone help me? :(

Arthmus 11-16-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruru89 (Post 563618)
Hi, I'm stuck at chapter 8
Spoiler:
I have the key of Diamonds and Spades but I really can't get to the Key of Clubs, can anyone help me? :(

I don't remember which key is which.

Spoiler:
one is inside the Atlas statue after you've pushed it into the area with the spiked ceiling, one is in the mirror maze and one is on the island, use the handcuffs from the dungeon room to secure the log bridges

Which one don't you have?

Chersi 11-16-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekaneas297 (Post 563585)
Spoiler:
Try the name of the writer of Alice in Wonderland

Thank you sooooooooooo much bro

ruru89 11-16-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthmus (Post 563621)
I don't remember which key is which.

Spoiler:
one is inside the Atlas statue after you've pushed it into the area with the spiked ceiling, one is in the mirror maze and one is on the island, use the handcuffs from the dungeon room to secure the log bridges

Which one don't you have?

It's the one on the island, thanks I'll try as soon as possible.

HELPME9999 11-16-2010 06:56 PM

hi,
unfortunately i lost my save game and i hope on of you could help me out. i'm at the end of chapter 5 and my last save is long before thos (i know, i should have saved more often...).
it would be nice if someone could upload his save near this part (rapidshare or similar).
sorry for my bad english, i'm from germany ;)

many thanks!

indyjones2131 11-17-2010 09:47 AM

Well, I am STUCK in chapter 1!!

I've convinced the 4 students in the quad to join the experiment:

The film maker
The shy kid
The sun bathing girl
The girl by the phone

What now!?

Mungos 11-17-2010 11:43 AM

Chapter 7

Thanks for the tip on SMILES, that helped a lot. :)
Now I'm at Chapter 7, I've done all parts and are all at 100%, all but In the Lab, which is 28/57 - 49%. All that I have in my inventory is: a discus, foster care letter and picture of Lady Byron (Sam's stage name).
Now I have no idea what to do.

Thunderstorm 11-17-2010 01:06 PM

i am in chapter 5 i did all memories in the park what to do next ?
the other 2 locations are greyed out i only have something to do in the house but dont know what it is ?
i dont get a animation film by the accordion player can be a bug dont you think ?

HELPME9999 11-17-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstorm (Post 563708)
i am in chapter 5 i did all memories in the park what to do next ?
the other 2 locations are greyed out i only have something to do in the house but dont know what it is ?

Spoiler:
have you talked to simon helborn? did you do the hypnosis? then you have to go to the computer in the cellar and look for the last two experiments. day 1: 11:30pm, 45 seconds. day 2: 11:42pm, 30 seconds

and please, upload your save game (to a one clock hoster) after completing this! it would help me a lot and i can tell you, if you missed something ;)

thanks