You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Please Help! The Blackstone Chronicles on Vista

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Please Help! The Blackstone Chronicles on Vista

I am trying to install this game, and when I click the install button nothing happens. I have tried changing compatibility modes, uninstalling QuickTime 7 and installing the QuickTime 3 that came on the CD. I have looked all over the net for a problem similar to mine and I can't find one. I usually have no problems getting games to run (even old DOS games using DOS-box), and cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't even install?? I have hunted for fixes/patches and found nothing. I haven't even found anyone with the same problem I have. There was another poster that said he couldn't find the Quick-time 3 in his girlfriends software list after installation...I too have that problem.... I am dying to play this game, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Brioli; 06-14-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Pixiehunter

The Blackstone Chronicles are notorious to install on Windows XP, I can imagine that it is neigh impossible on windows Vista.
My best advice would be to try to install it under windows 98. Either via some dual boot, or via a virtual machine. I don't know why clicking the install button gives no response whatsoever, but my best bet is that it is a Vista problem.

As for the QuickTime not being on the install list, I still don't know why that happens. Sometimes with XP you're lucky, sometimes you're not. Maybe that's the same with Vista. I am curious whether you can install it under windows 98, or whether this is more of a hardware configuration issue.

I'm sorry I'm not being much more help. My girlfriend has the same problem with Quicktime, but her windows 98 partition is at the moment not very much alive, so if you by any chance could be a guinea pig and try to install it under Windows 98, it may could get us all a tiny step further in solving this problem.

Other than that, there are some install guides for Blackstone Chronicles under windows XP on the internet. Maybe you could try if that works? They should be easy to find, if not, let me know and I'll see if they are still somewhere in my search history.

I hope you will get it to work. The game is just too awesome not to play.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

I'm downloading Virtual PC with Windows 98 in it....I will let everyone know if I get it going....Thanks so much for the response
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #4

Default Quicktime 3 is now Failing

Ok....This is soo wrong...but one of my children removed the CD and that is why it wouldn't install! hahaha! Kids are something else....Now....I have it installed but when I try to run/play it it closes down and says "Quicktime 3 failed to initialize; aborting program"....Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Default Fixed!

ok....I want everyone to know what I did to get it working...and what NOT to do if you are running Vista....

My first mistake was listening to the many people on different forums claiming that you MUST use Quicktime 3 to run this game. I decided to uninstall my recent version of Quicktime and install the Quicktime 3 before even trying to launch the game....So for future reference...:

This game WILL run on Quicktime version 7 in Windows Vista, with visual themes disabled, and in normal compatibility as well as Windows XP compatibility....The only issue so far is that during the intro video...there was a huge black vertical bar down the middle of the screen....I tried other compatibility modes and the game doesn't run at all....

I'm hoping that black bar doesn't keep rearing it's ugly head throughout the game....and going to check on fixes for it.....I'm so excited! I can't wait to play it! Will keep everyone posted on other problems and/or solutions while playing....
Old 07-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Default help men please

please can someone help me .the game runs but the videos are framing..like slide show. im runing on windows 7 64bit. i have latest quicktime and i tryd low res cd1 and high res cd2..and same thing happens..anyone no how to fix this?allso if i play an individuel video file from the cd dir it displays perfectly in quicktime..just not in game