You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Stalker of Britain

Default Carmen Sandiego Help

Lately I've been trying to recapture my youth, and I've been trying to get the old game, "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego" running on my Windows XP. I've ran it in compatability mode, and it will run, but for some reason in-game, none of the text appears. It's really annoying me, and I'd really like to give this educational game another go.

Does anyone tech-saavy know why and how I can get the text in-game to appear?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Pixiehunter

Are you playing the DOS or windows version? (wikipedia says both versions exist). If it is the DOS version, you may want to try to run it in DosBox. Tends to solve all kinds of weird bugs, so maybe this one too?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Stalker of Britain

I'm pretty sure it's the Windows version. I bought the cd a long time ago, and it sayis it's for Windows/MPC. I can try to run it in DosBox, but I don't know if it's made for it.

I think it's something to do with the Fonts that come with it. I tried to manually install the different fonts in the official font folder, and some said they were already installed, others weren't. There's no way to uninstall the game without just deleting the folder, and when I tried to reinstall it, it had a real problems with "can not open type.font'. It's really annoying, since I really want to play it.

EDIT: Well, at least I've got it semi-working now. Everytime I press a new option, the text changes color, so at least I can see it. I can't load a saved game at the beginning, since I can't see any of the text, but I just press around on the screen where I know it should be, and then I start a new game. So it's playable, although without a save function, I can't get very far. But for a taste of my childhood, it's still nice.

Any suggestions for the changing color text are welcome, though.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 05-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.