You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword 3 Error

Hi Guys I'm kinda new here and I have a problem I hope (actually i'm praying) you could please help me with.

I've just installed BS3 (DVD/rom) and when I double click on the shortcut it goes to a black screen, then reverts to the desktop with an error message "bstsd.exe has stopped working"

Can anyone help me rectify this please?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

While not a fix, The Adventure Shop has a compatible version of BS3 for fairly cheap; it works on my Vista laptop while the CD version did not.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

Perhaps something in this thread can help?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1066199
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.

I inadvertently fixed the problem when I reinstalled it.

There must be some issue with that batch of DVD roms. It took three turns to get it to install (some how it managed to fix the "data.pak file could not be found" and after that it managed to load without fail.

How very odd!

Although I'm sad to say I'm a little disappointed by the game.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
Although I'm sad to say I'm a little disappointed by the game.
How come?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #6

I'm not (yet) comfortable with the controls. It took me a while to get out of the cock pit, what happened to good old point and click? I'm not a fan of the graphics either, give me "2d" animation any day.

I wonder if Revolution Software could have their arms twisted to re-release BS3 in the same style as BS 1 & 2.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
I'm not (yet) comfortable with the controls. It took me a while to get out of the cock pit, what happened to good old point and click? I'm not a fan of the graphics either, give me "2d" animation any day.

I wonder if Revolution Software could have their arms twisted to re-release BS3 in the same style as BS 1 & 2.
I see, well you're not alone on that one. I really like this new drection they've taken the franchise but a lot of people don't. Anyways I don't think that a 2D rerelease is ever gonna happen as Revolution is, for as far as know, quite content with 3D. Also if you don't like BS3 you'd better not start playing BS4. Even I didn't like the interface and graphics and it's got a horribly hacked and unoriginal story.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

Considering the success the guys at Monkey Island have had, re-releasing the original with a talkie addition, I don't see why they couldn't at least attempt it a 2d version. Nostalgia can be profitable if you market it correctly
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #9

For anyone interested I emailed Revolution Software about the points I raised in my previous message and lo and behold! I got a reply:

"We have considered a 2D version of Broken Sword 3, updated to benefit from the 2D art style / control system - and this is something that we may do. Against this, we need to consider whether it would be much more work to do a new Broken Sword game. Currently we are working on an original adventure game, so will decide which way to go once that is in production."
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Anyways I don't think that a 2D rerelease is ever gonna happen as Revolution is, for as far as know, quite content with 3D.
Not anymore.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #11

"Currently we are working on an original adventure game"

Does anyone have any information on the "original" adventure game mentioned, or are they alluding to a new Broken Sword?