You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #1

Default Noir - A Shadowy Thriller

Hello. Has anyone had any luck with running Noir on Vista? I have done all the standard fixes with compatibility mode, run in 640x480, 8-bit, etc. but I still get "Smacker error" during startup every time. I've done some forum searching but this game is just not common enough to have many threads dedicated to it.

While I would prefer to run this on my Vista machine, feel free to throw out any advice for other OS's too as much of the advice will translate pretty well. Thanks for any input!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #2

hmm, don't know about vista, but the game does work in xp I'm sure. Anyway, I will try it on vista and see for my myself. I'
ll get back to you...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #3

I do have an xp disc and a spare drive so I may have to try that if Vista does not end up working. Did it work with standard install or did you have to use any tricks?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #4

I have problem with Noir. I am using XP Fix, everything on CD 1 is going perfect. But when I need to use CD 2 (I need to visit Sheherezade), there is problem. Movie is working ok, but then it write Problem opening "SC401.DIR", in next window script error and it falls down...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

I have the same problem as PLuto. Whenever I try to use the 2nd CD, I receive a window script error and the game quits. Does anyone know what is the problem? I installed the game on Windows 3.11 via dosbox.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Chris Barraclough

Oh man, if anyone found a way of getting this to run I would love them forever, and all the benefits that go with that. This was one of my favourite FMVs from back in the day. Shag knows where my original CDs have gone though...c'mon GOG, sort it out and get this one done!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Not much can be done with this one if you have x64 Windows without use of a VM, as it is a 16-bit Windows game. The best solution would be if the ScummVM project added support.