You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems The Whispered world demo not running properly! plz help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Default The Whispered world demo not running properly! plz help

hi, i just downloaded the demo and at first it wasn't working but after i changed some compatibilty settings it started working except that half the screen is black. I have included the screenshot. please could someone tell me what can be causing it and whether it can be fixed? I really was looking forward to playing the game. thanks!!
my laptop specs are:
Machine name: SONY-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VGN-NR310E
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Page File: 1203MB used, 1087MB available
Windows Dir: CWindows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #2

Are you running the game in full screen or windowed mode? Have you tried both? It looks like the game's trying to render in the wrong resolution for some reason; I'm assuming you have a widescreen laptop and the aspect ratio may be getting buggered up somehow.

I'm guessing you've run DirectX Diagnostics - what kind of video card do you have? If you click the Display tab in the dxdiag window it should show you. Re-installing DirectX itself might help as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Foe

I've this exact same problem. I've been unable to find a permanent fix. However, I have found a way to temporarily fix it everytime you want to play.

1) start The Whispered World
2) optional: hit escape to skip the cutscenes until you are at the main menu. This makes the following steps easier for your computer, as you are already past the loading screens.
3) use alt+tab or press the windows logo on your keyboard to get back to your desktop (if you only see the task bar without the desktop then it's not going to work)
4) click on 'The Whispered World' in your task bar
5) wait a short while: your screen can be black for some seconds
6) enjoy the game!

It does not matter whether you play in fullscreen or window mode for this. If you want to change these settings anyway, however, you can do this by starting 'TWWOptions.exe' which is in the folder in which you installed the game.

Good luck!
Also, if someone else has a more permanent solution I'd be happy to learn about it.