You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Beavis & Butthead - Virtual Stupidity install help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Beavis & Butthead - Virtual Stupidity install help

This may be quite a long shot, but I dug out my Beavis & Butthead - Virtual Stupidity CD and installed it on my PC running Windows 7.

All seemed to go well, but running it all I get is a blue screen. I can hear all the audio fine, but just not getting the video. If I skip the intro it goes to the menu screen which I CAN see fine, but as soon as I select New Game, it goes to black and again all I can hear is the audio.

I've tried DosBox in a desperate attempt but the game seems to be designed for Windows only. I've tried compatibility modes and options but everything seems to have the same result. Any ideas...? Anyone...?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Staff Member

Hey Sughly.

I know you said you've tried compatibility modes, but it is worth giving the wizard a go if you haven't already. To do that:
  1. Right click the game
  2. Properties
  3. Compatibility tab
  4. Click 'Help me choose the settings'.
  5. A help file will pop up. Under the 'Run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter' header, click the link 'Click to open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter'. It'll lead you through some steps and try to resolve the issue.
If that doesn't give you any luck, I also did a search and I think you may need to download DivX codec version 5.2.1 specifically. You can get that here. Make sure to virus scan the file and all that good stuff. If that doesn't work, there's a download here which contains many of the latest video codecs.

I hope this sorts it out for you. Let me know if you need any help with these steps.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
If that doesn't give you any luck, I also did a search and I think you may need to download DivX codec version 5.2.1 specifically. You can get that here.
Ah that did the trick! Thanks heaps Pinchpenny! The windows 7 troubleshooter wasn't much help but it was that codec that did it. Ran a little odd until I put it in Windows 95 compatibility mode, now running fine. Thanks again!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Staff Member

You're welcome! I thought the codec would probably fix it, but it's always best to try the simple things first.