Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Kings Quest Collectors Edition 1-6 2 CDs (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/26263-kings-quest-collectors-edition-1-6-2-cds.html)

aalake 02-02-2010 08:12 PM

King's Quest Collectors Edition

Just started. Need advice. I love GK but I'm stuck with KQ right now. I have something called King's Quest Collection from 1995 - 2 CDs. I'm willing to buy any of the other collections if they are better - and they are v. expensive. BUT - I now have Windows 7 and am seeking advice on whether DOSbox will work at all - and any other advice I can get so I can relive this delicious stuff and teach it to my grandchildren. I've loved this forum forever and NOW I AM A MEMBER. My name is Ancienne. Please re-direct me to wherever I should go to find out if what I have is good enough or should I get another collection. I love the old read-type but my grandkids don't, even with my great character acting.....

Collector 02-03-2010 03:41 AM

Best suited for the Tech section, but the collections that you have will work fine on Win7. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Up...nstallers.html

Collector 02-03-2010 03:47 AM

Perhaps a mod can split this off. The KQ Collectors Edition requires a different solution than the 2006/Steam collection. Just use this installer.

aalake 02-03-2010 11:40 AM

Really

Sorry - who knows where I was?? Will search. Thanx. Update: I did figure out 1 thru 4 but of course need a .conf file to try and make full screens or bigger boxes....

aalake 02-03-2010 12:16 PM

Woo Hoo - it's working

Thanx - now - I selected 'large box' in the installer because that seemed to be the default.But it's not very large. How do I edit conf if I want to try 'full screen'? Or is it possible? I know there's an answer somewhere but you all are the Best!! Trying the ReadMe first.

aalake 02-03-2010 01:40 PM

OK - more Q's

Has anyone solved the problem of screen-size in Windows 7? For the DOSbox games, that is.....

Collector 02-03-2010 03:22 PM

My installer come with a utility to change some basic DOSBox settings, including whether or not to start the game full screen or in a window. You can find it in the Start Menu.

aalake 02-04-2010 02:44 PM

discoveries

Having fun. Discovered plenty. Setting up the games on 2 computers - one for me (Windows 7) one for babysitting bringing my laptop. Everything is working fine in Windows 7 - KQ5 on the XP laptop has the sound problem (no voice) I keep reading about. Is there a fix? I don't even remember how I got 1-4 working 2 or 3 years ago. Don't remember Dosbox anything. My first stab (within memory) was with this hopelessly flawed game with Geiger graphics - Darkseed. Gave up on that. Now I'm getting the hang of it. Yes - the front end install KQ Collectors has a fairly worthless editor but .73 Dosbox has a very good one. I'm thinking ahead to Space quest, which I have another Collector's edition of. 2 questions: is there a conventional method of avoiding typing all these subdirectories in Mount, like can you create .bat files in DosBox? How do you create multiple .conf files for different game types? I am putting everything at present into the Sierra basic directory but who knows where I will go next? If the answers are going to be obvious by studying more Dosbox readmes don't bother to answer.

Collector 02-04-2010 03:31 PM

Again, if you use the installer listed above, it will set all of the games in DOSBox for you automatically. No fuss, no muss. Each game will be optimally configured, patched and ready to go. You will be able to start each game from a Windows shortcut, no bother with mounting drives or messing around with DOSBox settings.

aalake 02-05-2010 06:18 PM

Install for KQ Collectors Edition

This did not turn out to be true for me. By itself it created a tiny box. when I used the conf provided OR used Alt Enter it filled the screen with indescipherable graphics. Whe I used the conf provided with DosBox .73 and told it start in 800X600 which is as low as I can specifiy it makes a very acceptable window and nice graphics.

aalake 02-05-2010 06:19 PM

continiuation

...and it did NOT create a Windows shortcut. That would be nice.

Collector 02-06-2010 12:55 AM

I don't know what you did that prevented the shortcut from being created on your desktop, but there are also shortcuts created in the Start Menu. Without these shortcuts, the games will use the default dosbox.conf, not use the custom configuration files created for them, so yes, the games will start in a 640x400 window and will not use the right output to prevent the color corruption that occurs when you set DOSBox to run full screen. They will also be using cycles=auto, which is not good for these games.

Even though the installer is set to run with elevated privileges, UAC may be getting in the way. Try running the installer as administrator (right click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator".

aalake 02-07-2010 10:32 AM

Thanx collector. You were right. Who knows exactly what I did. I had a mish-mosh in there - from former attempts. I junked it all and started over. Everything is now running perfectly with nice little shortcuts. Ditto for Space Quest, so far.

aalake 02-07-2010 10:35 AM

P.S. I'm glad I learned some management of DOSbox tho. Could come in handy in the future.

Collector 02-08-2010 06:17 PM

Any classic gamer should learn DOSBox. It really is not that hard, once you grasp the basics.

aalake 02-27-2010 10:47 PM

KQ5 on XP

Everything is ship-shape on my Windows 7 computer (incl KQ7 and SQ Collectors Edition) but I have gone back to my XP laptop (for teaching my grandkids at their house) and KQ5 has no voice. I've heard of this before. Is there a fix? This computer does not have a sound card. I did use external speakers when it was my one-and-only computer but now do not. Should I plug in my speakers and see if that does anything?

Collector 02-27-2010 11:31 PM

You won't get any sound from games if the yo don't have sound on the PC. Make sure you have sound on the laptop before you worry about the game.

aalake 03-01-2010 11:33 AM

yes - sound

Sound is working. Voice works on KQ6 but not on KQ5. Haven't tried installing KQ7 on this computer yet. Nuisance. But I'm determined.

aalake 03-01-2010 02:46 PM

Fix?

I have this thing KQ5(KQ5FIX).zip on my Win 7 desktop but I don't remember if I used it or tried to use it before or after I used the correct download for these Collectors games. If that's it I might as well try it on the computer but I really don't remember. KQ5 is working fine on this Win 7 computer.

Collector 03-01-2010 06:46 PM

Uninstall everything and reinstall with this installer.KQCollection installer.