You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default Fable (1996)

I stumbled across screenshots for this game (Fable, not the XBox game, this 1 is from 1996 for the PC) on Abandonia, today and thought I'd give it a twirl. However it won't run on its own or on ScummVM. It said to use something called DosBox. So I've been trying to get it to work through that but clearly it's way over my head; I'm doing something wrong and I have no idea what it is, even though I've been following this guide as closely as possible. (Obviously I haven't typed in 'testdriv' or 'tdcga.exe', I substituted those for ther relevant files/folders)....

If anybody can help me out by either explaining how to run this game or, better yet, pointing me in the direction of a version of the game I can play through ScummVM or any other way, I'd be really grateful. I mean grateful to the point where I might accept marriage proposals. (Please bare in mind I'm a straight man before making such proposals).

Also; I've gathered that this game is supposed to include speech but no version I've seen anywhere online so if anybody happens to know a version I can download... That would be so sweet
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

I tried running Star Trek 25th anniversary with dosBox, and it would crash after the first screen, so I can't help you, sorry.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Shouldn't this thread be on the Technical Problems forum?

Anyways, it is frequently stated on this site that there is no such thing as abandonware. So you are probably using an illegal copy!

In general you need to "mount" your drive in dosbox before you can start a program. To do that you need to use the commandline. The command is called mount. You can get help on the command by typing: mount ?
If for example you have Tex Murphy: Mean Streets from GOG (which is FREE and LEGAL) on your harddrive in the location C: \Games\MeanStr\MS.exe then you first have to mount the location:
MOUNT C: C: \Games
Then goto the now mounted C-drive by typing C: and enter.
Now navigate to the directory using the CD (change directory) command: CD MEANSTR
And start the game with: MS.EXE

Dosbox automatically emulates a soundblaster compatible soundcard. Most programs need to be configurated using a command in the game-directory, mostly called setup.exe or install.exe.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #4

Yeah, all of that was in the tutorial i linked, but thanks anyway.

I guess it should be in the tech support, looking back I can't think why I put it there. I guess I was hoping for a more easily accessable version rather than help running the one I had.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Marduk, have you tried this? Makes Dosbox a whole lot easier to use
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurken View Post
Marduk, have you tried this? Makes Dosbox a whole lot easier to use
Thanks, I shall look into that a little later