You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems King's Quest VII on Vista (Semi-Recent VU games collecion)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Default King's Quest VII on Vista (Semi-Recent VU games collecion)

When I try to run the game, I get this message.

Quote:
This version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you're computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
I doubt that is an option, as the website listed on the CD is no longer functional & I couldn't find anything on the corporate website for Vivendi games or Activision that even acknowledges this title. So, is there any way to run this under Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Also, I just tried King's Quest VI as well, and it runs choppy. Any chance there's a fix for this? I know the game comes w/ Dosbox (0.63) to run the old games, I suspect I might be able to alter the DosBox config file to change the settings. Or is there a way to run this directly with my newer DosBox .72?

Last edited by Sky Warrior Bob; 11-29-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Pixiehunter

About KQVII: maybe you can try to run it in XP or 98 compatability mode? I don't know much about Vista troubleshooting, but that seems to do the trick some times.

As for DosBox: I don't know how to run it directly with DosBox .72, but when it runs choppy with DosBox .63, you might want to try to set the CPUcycles of DosBox higher, by pressing ctrl+F12 (ctrl+F11 lowers the cycles). Setting it to about 6000 instead of the default 3000 cycles (seen in the upper bar when you run DosBox in a window instead of fullscreen) often does the trick. Maybe you need even more cycles, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps

Edit: that being set, you can also set the cycles in the config file, by setting the 'cycles' value.
And: do you have 64 bits Vista? In that case I have a hunch that it will be a bit trickier, impossible maybe to run KQVII...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

You have 64-bit Windows, which cannot run 16-bit games. The 2006 collection uses the Windows only version of the game. Even if you had 32-bit Windows, you would not be able to play through the firecracker scene on a modern fast machine. There are quite a few issues with these collections. The solution for these releases are these patches.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

I think there used to be some posts on the VU Forums about running this on Vista, but the VU site is now the Activision site. Did you take a look at the support topics here? Maybe one of those addresses the problem?

EDIT: Or just listen to Collector, who knows more about this release than I do.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

See this thread for a list of what was wrong with this release.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Thanks, I guess... However, I don't understand this fix for KQ6

Quote:
Graphics driver included with the game cannot handle the opening sequence. Can easily be fixed by replacing driver from certain other early VGA SCI games.
Just curious, but what is the driver's name? I know I have the required driver kicking around, but I need to know the name before I start replacing anything.

Too bad about KQ7, but I do have access to a XP computer, so I should be able to play it there. As for the firecracker bug, is this something that's avoidable? Or is it like the sequence in Space Quest 6, after you steal the shuttle pod (in DOS mode) where only a save game fix got you past that point.

SWB
Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #7

The driver is VGA320.DRV, but you don't need to replace it. Just run the patch from above, if you have the 2006 collection. If you have one of the first two collections or the standalone version, use the appropriate King's Quest installer from here. They will automatically patch and setup the games for you.

Last edited by Collector; 11-29-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
As for the firecracker bug, is this something that's avoidable?
It's a required part of the game, but you can bypass it by continuing to select "try again" after the firecracker explodes. Each time you do this the character advances a tiny bit and eventually you reach the area you're trying to get to. (This works in XP, at least. I'm not sure about Vista.)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
It's a required part of the game, but you can bypass it by continuing to select "try again" after the firecracker explodes. Each time you do this the character advances a tiny bit and eventually you reach the area you're trying to get to. (This works in XP, at least. I'm not sure about Vista.)
Yes, it works. That's what I used to bypass it before discovering Collector
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #10

Keep in mind that this work around becomes less and less effective as computers become faster and faster. Also, DOSBox is the only solution for 64-bit users.