You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default European Game won't run!

As a Languages student / adventure gamer from Canada, I picked up a few PC games in French and German while studying in Europe. I wanted to combine my hobby with Language practise once I returned to Canada.

Unfortunately I've returned and hit a problem. I purposely only chose PC games to avoid the Formatting issue (North American vs. Japanese vs. European, etc). But I popped in my PC DVD copy of Edna Bricht Aus and my computer won't even recognize there's a disk in the drive.

Is it because of the Formatting of DVDs? (you can't watch a european DVD movie on a north american player)
Or is it another problem? Can I do anything about it, any backdoors, anything? I know there are international DVD players... is there an equivalent for computer games?

On a side note, I purchased a MAC copy of A Vampyre Story in German for a friend and it worked fine on her Macbook, that could not play European DVDs.

So what's going on? Have I wasted alot of money on games that I can't get to run?

Also, if I purchased a DVD-rom version of a game from Great Britain or Australia in English off of Ebay, would I have a similar problem? I have purchased several games internationally with no problems, but I can't recall if any were DVD rom.

Thanks
William
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
Dungeon Master

Generally, PC games on physical carriers (ie. not downloaded from Steam etc.) should have no region-coding of any kind. Do other games you bought in Europe also fail to run? Were you able to find out whether this one works on other computers?

So you can't even explore the files on the disc, yes? Sorry if that's a silly question, but you do have a DVD drive (as opposed to CD drive)?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Adventurer

I do have a DVD drive, not a CD drive, and I can't explore the disk at all because my computer doesn't recognize it at all.
Unfortunately the other games are not with me at the moment, but I'll check them soon. I will also try this game on other computers. It may be this disk in particular, or my computer.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

EDIT:

I tried loading the game up again this morning, and this time my computer recognized the disk and I managed to load it up just fine. I'm not too sure what the original problem was (perhaps my computer just being fussy?) but as long as it keeps working I'll be happy.

Thanks again,
William

Last edited by WRMW; 09-01-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: new developments