You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Default The last express bug

I recently started to play The Last Express. Really good game, but it seems like i have stumbled on some bug and i wonder if anyone else have experienced this and what should be done about it?

I know the game is in realtime and that things happen in different "times" but when i started a second game some scenes that was supposed to happen just did not and i had to just sit in the train with nothing happening for hours!. There seems to be some keymoment that dont happen and makes the game just stall and stop all future events. Its even worse now when i managed to get to the 3d CD. I get to Budapehest but nothing happens, no cutscene and the train just continues. I read in a manual that you should talk with a caracter on the start of the 3d disc and after go to sleep. But my "bed" in my compartment does not tranform into a bed so i can sleep even after the condoctur have been inside to make my bed.

Hope you understand.. dont know what to do really..
Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

I'll help you if I can, but I'm confused. Where are you exactly and what day/time is it? The first CD ends when you go to bed, have a dream, go back to bed. (After Strassbourg.) CD2 starts with Cath waking up on Day 2, and the next stop is Munich. CD2 ends at Vienna, still Day 2. So at the beginning of CD3 it's evening and you're on your way to Budapest. You don't get to sleep again until much later, near the end of the game.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Thought you might be the person to help, Fien! We've got exactly the same problem as "outcast" obviously had. Approaching Budapest, we had to wait around doing zero for around 40mins, then we disabled the bomb, but after that, nothing. No cut scene entering Budapest. According to 2 different walkthroughs I've now checked (because I was pretty certain something was wrong), you should have the possibility to sleep following the scene with a drunken Schmidt after Tatjiana comes to your compartment. You're then meant to wake up 10mins before the bomb goes off. This wasn't possible, we just had to wait.

Also after dismantling the bomb, according to the walkthroughs, it's possible to have conversations with the English guy, (can't remember his name) and then with Frau Wolff. But with our game, he's in the smoking room but you can't talk with him, and Fr Wolff is nowhere to be found.

Noticeably our bed was never made when the person came round on day 2 making the beds. Or another difference seems to be that we never actually gave the briefcase of money back which apparantly you're meant to. Did that screw something up?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior *female* member

Yes, sounds definitely like a bug, Davey. You probably did something the game didn't expect. The conductor is supposed to make your bed around 8:30 p.m. but the game must have screwed up long before that, since you managed to keep the briefcase! That should not be possible. Kronos wants either the egg or his gold back. If you give him the egg, the game ends in Vienna with you keeping the gold. If you don't give him anything Kahina kills you. If you didn't manage to find the egg, Kahina will and Kronos gets it, end of game. The only way to win the game is: keep the egg, show the gold to August, and then return the briefcase to Kronos before Vienna.

I have no idea what exactly went wrong. Did you find the egg and hide it, didn't Kahina come looking for you near Vienna to tell you to visit Kronos or else? The best advice I can give you is to rewind to a time on CD2 when everything you did is still correct according to your walkthrough.

Good luck! I'd love to hear your opinion of TLE once you've finished it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks Fien - confirms what I thought. To answer your questions, Kahina didn't threaten us (she did in a previous attempt where we lost the egg & had to rewind). I think I'm right in saying that we showed the gold to Schmidt, then put the suitcase under the bed, and then stole the egg, put it where Max was, and then straight away had the encounter with Wolff & the Serb woman. At the time when we showed the gold to Schmidt, Kahina kept going up & down the corridor but never threatened us. We tried going to Kronos anyway, but couldn't get in. Hence we couldn't give the gold back.

I can see why you're such a fan of TLE - it is excellently put-together, the story is comple & clever (especially if you have a certain historical knowledge), and the voice-acting excellent (even if Hr Schmidt's accent is a tad over the top & it's a mystery why he & Hr Wolff converse most of the time in English & not German. However, there are 3 aspects where I'm less keen:
1. This type of bug is clearly an issue - outcast also had this one, I've seen one or two others of a similar type since investigating the problem. It's not great when you waste 3-4hrs & then find out that it's all down to a bug & you have to go back half a day & play the same section again.
2. At times there's a lack of feedback with the game and why the game ends - this was especially true with Vienna, the game ended with no obvious answer as to why. Now I know (after checking a walkthrough) you have to keep the egg, but swapping it for the gold seemed eminently logical to me. The game ended with Cath sitting in a cafe in Vienna - how can that be game-ending?? My wife is also distinctly unkeen on the fact that after successfully getting the phoenix to sing, it brings you...absolutely zero!! So why bother? (I 'm sure it'll be relevant eventually, but nonetheless...)
3. It's a shame there's no option to also have subtitles for the English speech (It's done really well for the other languages). Even I sometimes have trouble catching bits (background noise etc) and my wife's non-native English-speaking & certainly doesn't find it easy.

I'll post more once we've finished!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior *female* member

Davey, I hope you're still checking this thread. Other people are experiencing the same problems, see this forum at GOG.com with possible solutions, in particular the threads "scenes are missing" and "more late game bugs".

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_last...ss/#1316770224

By the way, where did you get your TLE? If you download it at dot.emu (3.99 euros) you get several language versions, including German. GOG.com only offers the English version.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #7

Certainly am Fien - finished TLE last night actually. I went back & played day 2 again (as you suggested) from a bit before the concert and went fine. I'll have a look at the link for interest's sake, but problem solved.

I can't remember whether we got TLE from GOG or dot.emu (think the latter) but haven't seen any reference to other languages. Anyway, wouldn't really want to play it in anything other than English - the mix of languages is part of the charm, don't see how that would work if the English was dubbed into something else.

I'll post my final thoughts on the game somepoint soon (though the basis is as I already wrote) - going to go now to try & find a thread where you & others give your thoughts & I'll then put my opinions at the end.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
I can't remember whether we got TLE from GOG or dot.emu (think the latter) but haven't seen any reference to other languages. Anyway, wouldn't really want to play it in anything other than English - the mix of languages is part of the charm, don't see how that would work if the English was dubbed into something else.
Oh yes, I agree. What's more, it's tantalizing but very immersive and realistic to stand outside Milos' door and hear your name (well, Tyler's name actually) being mentioned during a heated conversation in a foreign language you don't understand.

BTW, I did listen for a bit to the German voiceacting, and it didn't strike me as first-class. Surprising, since Germans are generally speaking better voiceactors than Americans.

Quote:
I'll post my final thoughts on the game somepoint soon (though the basis is as I already wrote) - going to go now to try & find a thread where you & others give your thoughts & I'll then put my opinions at the end.
There are several threads about TLE. I don't recommend the community playthrough of TLE led by me (this one was not very succesful, which was partly but not entirely my fault), but I do recommend reading the concluding comments by Kurufinwe and Val, near the end of the thread, e.g. posts #131, 133 and 135.

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/fo...express&page=7