Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Computer "Error" Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/24496-computer-error-problems.html)

Fantasysci5 04-19-2009 10:35 AM

Computer "Error" Problems

Hey all.

I'm having big problems wrestling my computer to cooperate, and I was hoping someone could help me. I have a Windows XP. I keep getting all kinds of error reports, and they seem to be coming from nowhere. They range from "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" to a file I have never heard of needing to close. All are in that same format of "Name here has encountered a problem and needs to close", and I get error messages about everything. It's not just one application or area. It would pop up with just exiting a window, or pop up during a game. All types of applications that I have come up with this error message that tells me to send the information to Microsoft, or something. I thought it was a virus, but I have been scanning and doing all the steps I've seen online. It's still happening, and I'm quite frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can copy directly what it says the next time it happens, if that will help.

I was debating whether this should be here or in chit chat, but since this is computer related, I thought here would be fine.

Mohlin 04-20-2009 01:09 AM

Ok, try this, it helped me and has helped others in the same situation.

Open your browser (IE).
Go to Tools / Manage Add-ons / Enable or disable Add-ons.
Disable the QUICKFind BHO Object.
Maybe you have to restart, I don't remember.

Did it help?

Fantasysci5 04-20-2009 07:16 AM

Thanks Mohlin for trying to help me. When I opened it, I couldn't find anything that said Quickfind BHO. I was looking under the "currently being used".

Mohlin 04-21-2009 01:17 AM

What about the other, not currently being used (mine is in danish). It's probably one of those addons that is the problem. Anything else "BHO"?
If I were you I would try to disable/enable one at a time to see which one it is. Time consuming, yes...

Fantasysci5 04-21-2009 07:20 AM

Thanks for helping me. I didn't see anywhere on there that said BHO. Is it the name of a file on the left side?

Hmm...that's a good idea to disable them one at a time, but I just don't want to accidently disable one I need that is important. Is there such a thing?

misslilo 04-21-2009 07:46 AM

Not really - BHO just stands for Browser Help Object - and you can always enable them again the same place :)

Fantasysci5 04-21-2009 12:49 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try it and see if it works. Although, it hasn't happened in awhile, but I'm sure it'll come back. :)

stepurhan 04-22-2009 04:09 AM

Doing a disk cleanup and defragment is always a good idea. Lack of resources and scattered files can ocassionally throw up odd errors. If nothing else it should enable the whole machine to run more smothly.

Fantasysci5 04-22-2009 07:19 AM

Thanks Step! Do you think you could tell me what that is? lol Where can I find it on my computer?