You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Iconoclast

Default Toonstruck screenshots

Argh!!! I am frustrated right now. I am a screenshot whore and I can't figure out how to take screenshots of this game. You can't play it in a window, which would make it easy. It doesn't work in Dosbox. I have tried many different utilities to no avail at this point. The only thing I have left to try is to play it in dos and try to use Screen Thief (doesn't work in windows). The only problem is, then I would have to try and remember how to install mscdex(?) for my cd-rom, sound, mouse and all that crap, and I haven't done so in years. I also don't want to go through the effort, if it isn't going to work for some reason anyway.

It looks like the only screenshots on the net are the same 5 shots that were probably released by the developer, so I don't even know if it is possible to take any.

While less than ideal, if anyone knows a way to unpack the game files to get at the artwork, that would be good also. They are .smk and .pak files...

Please help this screenshot addict.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #2

For the smk files, they are Smacker (as in Bink and Smacker) videos (the same format used in BS1 and 2, Dungeon Keeper 1, Kingdom o' Magic and most of the games from that era...

If you download the player, you'll be able to take some screenshots.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClémentXVII
For the smk files, they are Smacker (as in Bink and Smacker) videos (the same format used in BS1 and 2, Dungeon Keeper 1, Kingdom o' Magic and most of the games from that era...

If you download the player, you'll be able to take some screenshots.
THANKS!!! It worked. I can feed my obsessive-compulsive nature now.

The funny thing is, I already had the player. I just forgot what I had it for and what extensions were related to it... The answer was right under my nose the whole time...

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Well.. Lemme think... You can take a look at this site, which is the background and character animator's portfolio site.

http://www.lauraj.net/portfolio/Game...Toonstruck.htm

Hope that helped.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 03-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85
Well.. Lemme think... You can take a look at this site, which is the background and character animator's portfolio site.

http://www.lauraj.net/portfolio/Game...Toonstruck.htm

Hope that helped.
Thanks! That helps as well. I still wish I could take screenshots, but between the site you mention and the smacker movies, I should be set.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
Thanks! That helps as well. I still wish I could take screenshots, but between the site you mention and the smacker movies, I should be set.
No problem. I don't think it's possible to take in-game screenshots, because of that Super VGA thingy or something.. I know that LucasHacks are working on a Toonstruck tool though. Due to be finished this summer.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85
No problem. I don't think it's possible to take in-game screenshots, because of that Super VGA thingy or something.. I know that LucasHacks are working on a Toonstruck tool though. Due to be finished this summer.
I kind of wish they had a kind of VGA box thingamajig that you could hook up between the monitor cable and the monitor and capture the output in its original form from any computer regardless of platform. That way, you could take screenshots of anything coming out of a VGA cable. Maybe some kind of firewire or USB thing you can hook up or something. It would be much better than any software. I would definitely be interested in one. For all I know there is something like that out there...

I am looking forward to the Toonstruck tool though...