You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default QfG4: error 52 strikes again!

I'm really starting to hate this game!

First Error 47 down the cliff, now Error 52 in the swamp; and the save files included in the QfG collection aren't of great help.

Anyway, I have two savegame:

1) Just a couple of screens right to the tomb of the Mad Monk
2) A save made after having defeat the two guardians: somehow I managed to beat them (I casted Reversal, then the whole screen went black and I casted blind Flame Dart at the corner of the screen where I remember the guardians to be) and to take the Ritual. But now, no matter what I try to do, every time I try to exit the screen Error 52 strikes again.

I searched the net and tried almost everything: I tried slowing down DosBox, I tried lowering Details and boosting Speed, I tried setting the Internal Speaker and the option for NO Voice... nothing.

So, before giving up this game, there's other things I can do? I read about Moslo, but I don't know how to use it...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2

Are you using the unofficial patch? (That might require you to restart the game.)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #3

Yes. I'm using it, and after installing it I already restarted the game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #4

Be sure to set DOSBox to:

core=normal
cycles=80000

If you don't, it will default to:

core=auto
cycles=auto

Which will go too fast. If I could afford the collection and Anthology versions I would make DOSBox installers for them to automate this.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #5

I'll try and I'll let you know.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #6

Nope! It doesn't work... The Chernovys are too fast and every time I try to exit the screen it's error 52 again...

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 AM   #7

Ok. Before I give up this game, I'll ask a last question:

Does anyone have a savegame of a Wizard character just after the whole swamp sequence? I'm using the DOS CD version...

EDIT: I DID IT! Don't ask how, because I don't know, but after several restores, it worked...

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 08-05-2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Incredible Success :)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #8

I didn't read your posts all that thoroughly, but you´re using Dosbox AND the unofficial patches, right? Because when you're playing QFG4 in Dosbox, it might ignore the patches, due to the settings in resource.cfg not pointing to the right directory. (hence you've basically been playing without patches all along for all intents and purposes so far) The cause of that is that Dosbox makes a virtual drive and plays the game from there. Open the file in notepad and see what it says for patchdir. Set it to .\ to have the game adress the patch files in the game folder itself. I realize you already got past the error 52 chokepoint, but this may save you headaches in the future.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #9

Thanks! I didn't know of this DOS Box "problem"

Thank you very much!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #10

I missed it too the first time, until someone pointed out that my resource.cfg said the folder to look for patches was c: \games\sierra\qfg4cd and while Dosbox was active, the patch files themselves were in z: \qfg4cd . I think QFG4 is the only QFG-game with that problem, since the previous VGA-games didn't have the option of looking for external patches outside the game folder yet.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #11

It is impossible to write any files to the Z: drive in DOSBox. All SCI games can be made to look in their own folders for resources by setting paths in the RESOURCE.CFG file to ".\", QfG4 is no exception in this. Any SCI CD game can look in more than one place for resources.