Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Discworld Noir - Vista problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/22758-discworld-noir-vista-problems.html)

carlotta von uberwald 06-22-2008 03:56 AM

Discworld Noir - Vista problems

Just got new HDD yesterday and decided to install my favourite game Discworld Noir. It installs ok but it won't work on Vista I have the 1999 3CD Best of Infogrames version does anyone know of a patch?

misslilo 06-22-2008 04:03 AM

Good luck, I've been trying the same thing, but never found a solution :(
So now it just sits on my shelf waiting for a miracle to happen :)

Jeppe 07-29-2008 10:55 AM

How to make Discworld Noir work with Windows Vista!

Here is the trick:

Using REGEDT32, locate the Discworld Noir registry key at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perfect Entertainment\Discworld Noir". Under it there should be a value called "Start Windowed", which is set to "No" by default. Change it to "Yes".

Now, when you start up the game it runs in a window and looks like crap (because it's expecting 16-bit color mode). Press Alt-Enter to change into full-screen mode. THEN THE GAME LOOKS FINE, AND IT NO LONGER CRASHES!!!

I truly thought this was a miracle ;)

I am also using the 1999 3CD Best of Infogrames version; a full install; and I'm running the game from the install directory.

Jeppe 07-29-2008 12:41 PM

Unfortunately the game still has a few problems with the fix described in my previous message. "Resume Game" and "Options" don't work in the main menu. You need to load a saved game using F1 when you get to the main menu.

Still the "Start Windowed" gets you through the intro so you can start a game (if you would like to watch the intro, you can do it in full screen except during the sequence just after Lewton is stabbed). So far, I have had no problems after the intro while playing the game in full screen.

threerings 09-17-2008 11:46 AM

FYI I got Discworld Noir to run on Vista using a no-cd crack. It crashed on me twice during the whole game, but if you remember to save often, it's not a big deal. Runs well.

MEGAginge 08-04-2009 01:53 PM

Hi all. I just wanted to share my experiences in getting this to work on a dual core (core 2 duo ) vista ultimate machine.

Firstly, I was so excited to find the old box for this in amongst my stuff when I was doing a clearout, so I decided to try and install. I had already thrown my only copy of Windows 98 (my original plan was to setup a new vmware player image using workstation and run the game in 98) so I had to try vista.

I have the GSP re-release with both safedisc AND more of a problem: The installer doesn't work at all. You get error when trying to run setup.exe on disc 1 of 3.

I copied disc 1 entirely from CD to c:\games\noir
I then copied disc 3 entirely from CD to c:\games\noir\cd1
disc2 is irrelivent to gameplay.

You also need to make a cd2, cd3 and cd4 directory or the game complains.

At this point, the game complains of missing DLL when run. But from googling this, I found the following site: http://www.lspace.org/games/discworld/noirfix.html

Firstly it suggests the same fix I was trying from memory - which is great.. But secondly, it gives the registry key you need to get the exe to run. I applied this, and now I get a new error. cd is not in drive. Except it is!!!

Well, Its completely legal to own a backup copy of a cd you have, and thus I then went to gamecopyworld and downloaded 2 files, one replacement exe for no-cd and a second which is a patch to stop the checksum failing. I won't give direct link, but its the first result.

At this point game starts - but fails immediately after the scrolling text on new game (attempted load of first cut scene).

Some google suggested I try set registry to "Start Windowed" from default no, to "Yes. This did the trick! The game can now start, But it runs like some piece of crap with fubar colours. There are 2 options here: Set windows colour mode to 16 bit, or wait till after the cut scene, SAVE IT so you can come back here in future - then hit Alt+Enter to go fullscreen, and then its perfect.

I'm so happy to be able to play the game, and so is the girlfriend - it was one of her favourite games when growing up.

To summarise:
Getting the game working under vista:

IF INSTALL FAILS: ELSE GO TO STEP 2
1. Copy CD-1 and CD-3 to fs manually, under c:\games\noir (if you change this then I think the registry keys might need edit before apply? so just go with this). Remember to make cd2, cd3 and cd4 directories even though they stay empty.

2. Assuming you fully own an original copy only!!!! of the game.. then Apply no-cd patch to tin3_dxd.exe. This is perfectly legal. Also apply checksum patch if required to get past copy protection. gamecopyworld supply both

3. Add the registry keys from the link I gave above

4. In regedit Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Perfect Entertainment/Discworld Noir and edit 'Start Windowed' to 'Yes'

5. Play the game, run it as administrator. It starts windowed, escape the scenes till you get mouse control, make a save - next time you can hit F1 and some straight here - and then you can ALT+ENTER to play the game properly!

6. Profit.

Hope the guide helped someone.. I found there was no definitive "do this and it works" - atleast not in my scenario.. And even though my trade is in IT, I'm a little surprised and remarked that it eventually all worked successfully. The power of the internet :)

akemikat 01-24-2010 06:44 AM

Anyone know how to solve the problem on Windows 7? I'm having trouble getting it to work.. this is whats happened....

I installed the game, attempted to play, and it says "TIN3_DXD.EXE has stopped working"

I attempted to run the game in all compatibility modes: windows 95, 98 and 2000/ME.

It still said that TIN3_DXD.EXE has stopped working.

So I changed in the registry to open windowed mode like it says to do above.

But it still doesn't work. I've also tried reinstalling, I've tried a no-cd game patch, but none of this works.

Could it be the wrong version of direct X? Do I need to install the game IN compatibility mode? Is there something wrong with my game? You all seem to have made it work with Vista, I don't see why it doesn't work on Win7... anybody know?

Please help! Thanks

rosa 05-27-2010 03:33 AM

To akemikat:

I finally got Discworld Noir to run on Windows 7 using a no cd fix - but you say you tried that and it didn't work?

The fix I used downloaded a copy of the tin3_dxd file, which I replaced the original file with. Is this the same as the one you tried?

You then have to change the screen resolution to 800x600, then run the tin3_dxd file (as administrator) directly from the folder.

I hope this helps. I tried in vain for days to get this game to run, so I feel your pain!

crabapple 05-27-2010 07:40 AM

Does this game work in Virtual PC?

Wadd08 08-03-2010 08:51 AM

The Simple Solution

My fiancee wanted this game as she'd heard a little about it, i looked into it and noticed on here that running vista with it was meant to cause problems. Took about 15mins of tinkering and i solved it, at least for me anyways.
heres how i did it in steps.
step 1: install the game
step 2: get the TIN3_DXD.EXE file sent to desktop (create shortcut) from CD1
step 3: right click TIN3_DXD.EXE,
properties,
compatability (make sure CD1 is in your CD-ROM Drive),
Tick "run in compatability mode"
select "windows 95"
tick "run in 256 colours"
tick "run as administrator"
apply
ok
step 4: Run and enjoy
ps. my resume and options work but if yours dont for some reason use F1 as its recomended earlier in this forum

DustyShinigami 08-03-2010 10:41 AM

I think I did all that and it made no difference for me. I even did the whole 'window mode' thing - starting the game in windowed mode to play the cutscenes and then pressing Alt+Enter to go back into fullscreen once in-game. Before I was even able to press Alt+Enter, the game crashed after Lewton spoke with Carlotta.

Looks like if I want to play this game it'll have to be under VirtualPC. :frown:

DustyShinigami 08-14-2010 09:48 AM

I'd recommend that if anyone wants to get this working on their computers, that they play it under VirtualPC with Windows 98. I tried it with XP yesterday and it ran choppy; especially the cutscenes. With 98, apart from it taking ages to load (no idea why), the game runs pretty smooth and Lewton's head twitch is gone. I wasn't expecting the results to be satisfying. :)

iheartrincewind 10-04-2010 03:53 AM

HIYA!
Umm, i just got my discworld working after months of unenjoyable discworld, now i have it working, SOUND AND ALL, life is now more enjoyable thanks to the magic of the discworld!
SO .. i did as one person said on here (may have been another post, whatevs) and got myself a front end for the dosbox and then dragged in my zip file and BAM it popped me up with the dosbox and then i chose to run the windows batch file and selected all the sound card stuff i.e. soundblaster 16 etc and now im happy as the preverbial 'larry'.
NEEDED TO SHARE MY HAPPINESS TO HOPEFULLY MAKE OTHERS HAPPY ON DISCWORLD.
email me if you need tooo! :)

discworld joy for all!

Brimstone 10-07-2010 09:25 AM

I happened to find my old copy of Discworld Noir and attempted to play it. It installed fine but wouldn't get past the stabbing scene. I did all that was stated above. (except the DosBox bit, I don't like DosBox much it's too complicated) I do have SCUMMVM though and couldn't get it to find the game. I'm running Vista 64bit and can use some help gatting this game playable.

BTW: I think it's the budget remake version. (3 CDs) Also when I changed the registry to play in windowed mode it would still go to fullscreen. while I've been waiting for a responce I tried Dosbox w/ DOSShell as a frontend and it won't work either.

Brimstone 10-07-2010 12:43 PM

Got it to work kind of. Still crashes every time I go to a new area. Anybody have a better way of playing this game?

millenia 12-31-2010 01:31 PM

I installed it tonight for another replay on my Windows 7 (I have a 3cd version). Installing went fine. Startup gave me the error. NoCD fix let me see the opening demo to the stabbing and crashed after that. Compatibility modes don't seem to be working, the game doesn't even start.

I changed the registry and was able to get into playable part with the messed up windowed screen and then alt+enter for FullScreen. Not sure how well it will work during the game.

Would have preferred a way to see the opening demos properly but I hope this way I can at least play it.

Collector 01-16-2012 11:15 PM

I have been experimenting with this game on my Win7 x64 Pro after seeing the community playthrough thread for the game. The main problem with the game is that the main menu does not work. It will allow you to start a new game, but the Restore and Options buttons will crash the game. This one is easy to work around. You can press the F1 key to bring up the in game menu, which does work without crashing.

The crashing with the intro I have managed to mostly solve with a combination of solutions, some suggested in this thread, including patching the main EXE, setting the game to start in Windowed mode, setting the color depth to 16-bit colors. I found that using the DLLs from WineD3D to redirect those calls to Direct3D to OpenGL seem to lend some stability, at least on my system.

I have packaged all of these into a single patch. It patches the main EXE and includes a convenient utility to change whether the game starts Windowed or full screen without having to manually edit the registry. I have also included a game launcher that will automatically set the color depth to 16-bit for correct color display of the game in Windowed mode and reset it back to 32-bit on exit of the game. The installer will create an uninstaller for the patch if you wish to remove the patch and should be used prior to uninstalling the game to assure a clean uninstall. This should be applied to a full install or it will not patch the main EXE.

Discworld Noir Vista/Win7 Patch

Keep in mind that this is not a perfect solution. Only the "New Game" button on the main menu should be used. The intro can be skipped by pressing the Escape key a number of times, but the game may occasionally crash if it is pressed repeatedly and rapidly. I am able to play the intro and opening scene in their entirety in both windowed and full screen modes. I have only tested this on my system, so YMMV. If you try this, please give some feed back. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to fix any other issues with this game, but it is running stably for me with these fixes.

DustyShinigami 01-17-2012 05:47 AM

Great job, Collector! I've downloaded it and I'll be testing it out as soon as I can!

TimovieMan 01-19-2012 01:14 PM

@ Collector: I've downloaded and tested your patch. I still have the same problem: the game opens a blank window that crashes after 10 seconds...

Good thing I got it working on a VirtualPC with Windows98...

Collector 01-19-2012 04:12 PM

Which release of the game and what OS?

TimovieMan 01-19-2012 11:58 PM

Vista64 and the 3-cd version.

I already got it to work with VirtualPC so it's really no big deal.

Edit: come to think of it, one of the last things I had tried last week was applying a no-cd patch. Maybe I should try again with a clean install?

Collector 01-20-2012 12:42 AM

Give it a try. Even if you are happy with it in VPC, I would still like to see if we can get the patch to work for you. Also, try doing a full install. I tested it on my PC and it is working for me, but that is only one machine with one configuration.

TimovieMan 01-20-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598666)
Give it a try. Even if you are happy with it in VPC, I would still like to see if we can get the patch to work for you. Also, try doing a full install. I tested it on my PC and it is working for me, but that is only one machine with one configuration.

I'll try this tomorrow and keep you updated.

About the full install though, I ALWAYS do a full install because disk space has always been the least of my worries... :P

TimovieMan 01-22-2012 06:05 AM

Same thing again: full install + your patch = blank window + crash.

Every single thing I've tried so far has resulted in a blank window and a crash...

Cursed Vista64... :(

tsampikos 01-22-2012 07:33 AM

How about the Microsoft application compatibility toolkit?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=7352

Maybe the game is listed in there (aka supported).

Other than that the best solution to play the game is in it's native enviroment under a Virtual Machine (VPC, Virtualbox, VMWare Player). And without a glitch too. :)

Collector 01-22-2012 10:49 AM

He already has the game running in VPC. He was just helping me by testing my patch to see it it could be made to run natively on his Vista.

@TimovieMan, This is something other than the usual Vista/Win7 compatibility problems. Using my launcher to start the game, does the screen go black for a second or two before the game window is created? I suspect that it may have to do with your graphics driver. What graphics adapter do you have and have tried to update the driver?

TimovieMan 01-23-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598825)
@TimovieMan, This is something other than the usual Vista/Win7 compatibility problems. Using my launcher to start the game, does the screen go black for a second or two before the game window is created? I suspect that it may have to do with your graphics driver. What graphics adapter do you have and have tried to update the driver?

When using your launcher, the screen does go black for a fraction of a second before it creates the game window (something to do with that ResChange.exe, I guess?).
The game window itself is blank, or rather "see-through". It creates the outline of the window, but the rest is just my wallpaper and desktop shortcuts that were underneath it.
After about 10 seconds I get an error message that the tin3_dxd.exe no longer works.

My computer system is:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
8 GB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
4 GB total video RAM
Operating system: Vista 64-bit Ultimate Edition

Graphics drivers are up-to-date. Most recent drivers for my card were released in October, my last driver update was in November (when I started playing L.A. Noire).

Do you require further info?

Collector 01-24-2012 12:04 AM

Yes the screen going black is the color depth dropping to 16-bit. No need to mention that your hardware is more that able to handle the demands of such an old game. Did you get the WDM driver from Microsoft or did you download the driver from NVIDIA? Some compatibility issues can be resolved by downgrading the driver to an earlier version, but I am not necessarily suggesting that you do it. One thing to try is to update your DirectX 9c.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

millenia 01-25-2012 08:07 AM

The patch seems to work fine at least when just trying it out (through the opening scenes), thanks a bunch.

TimovieMan 01-25-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598951)
Did you get the WDM driver from Microsoft or did you download the driver from NVIDIA? Some compatibility issues can be resolved by downgrading the driver to an earlier version, but I am not necessarily suggesting that you do it. One thing to try is to update your DirectX 9c.

I downloaded my drivers from NVIDIA, not Microsoft.

The DirectX update didn't work either, same result: blank window and a crash.

I don't plan on downgrading my drivers to test this, though. Don't want to potentially open up a can of worms with my L.A. Noire playthrough... :D

Collector 01-25-2012 02:09 PM

Understood. As I said, it does seem to be some other issue than what others have had with the game on Vista/Win7, so it is more likely that it is something unique with your particular hardware and or configuration. Not really worth the effort track down for one game, especially since you have that game successfully running in VPC. I consider the use of a VM a course of last resort, but sometimes it is the easiest route. Anyway, thanks for testing my patch.

TimovieMan 01-26-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 599069)
I consider the use of a VM a course of last resort, but sometimes it is the easiest route.

I did consider it a last resort too, until I had one set up a few months ago. Since then I've decided that it really isn't that much more of a hassle than trying to find multiple patches or making registry adjustments.
Quote:

Anyway, thanks for testing my patch.
Thank YOU for making this patch. Even though it didn't help me, there are already a couple of other people that were helped by it, and I'm sure more will follow...

ivan70 03-26-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 599098)
I did consider it a last resort too, until I had one set up a few months ago. Since then I've decided that it really isn't that much more of a hassle than trying to find multiple patches or making registry adjustments.
Thank YOU for making this patch. Even though it didn't help me, there are already a couple of other people that were helped by it, and I'm sure more will follow...

Hi guys.
To Collector-i have installed a DN and also your patch.Everything is working nice,no breakdowns after intro, but when I want to load a saved game game crushes.Then I get this notification "Assert Message: Can t find CHUNK_CDPLAY_FILENUM.
And btw. I don t load from the main menu.When is the first scene where you can control Lewton in office,then I press F1-load and then all that happens..

Collector 03-26-2012 09:19 PM

Try pressing F1 to bring up the save/load game dialog.

Marduk 04-05-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeppe (Post 476696)
Here is the trick:

Using REGEDT32, locate the Discworld Noir registry key at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perfect Entertainment\Discworld Noir". Under it there should be a value called "Start Windowed", which is set to "No" by default. Change it to "Yes".

I can't find this directory in regedt32 OR regedit :frown;

EDIT: NM, I was able to download the correct reg from one of the above links :)

Collector 04-05-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 606427)
I can't find this directory in regedt32 OR regedit :frown;

EDIT: NM, I was able to download the correct reg from one of the above links :)

The Patch that I posted addresses this.