Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Discworld Noir - Vista problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/22758-discworld-noir-vista-problems.html)

TimovieMan 01-19-2012 11:58 PM

Vista64 and the 3-cd version.

I already got it to work with VirtualPC so it's really no big deal.


Edit: come to think of it, one of the last things I had tried last week was applying a no-cd patch. Maybe I should try again with a clean install?

Collector 01-20-2012 12:42 AM

Give it a try. Even if you are happy with it in VPC, I would still like to see if we can get the patch to work for you. Also, try doing a full install. I tested it on my PC and it is working for me, but that is only one machine with one configuration.

TimovieMan 01-20-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598666)
Give it a try. Even if you are happy with it in VPC, I would still like to see if we can get the patch to work for you. Also, try doing a full install. I tested it on my PC and it is working for me, but that is only one machine with one configuration.

I'll try this tomorrow and keep you updated.

About the full install though, I ALWAYS do a full install because disk space has always been the least of my worries... :P

TimovieMan 01-22-2012 06:05 AM

Same thing again: full install + your patch = blank window + crash.

Every single thing I've tried so far has resulted in a blank window and a crash...

Cursed Vista64... :(

tsampikos 01-22-2012 07:33 AM

How about the Microsoft application compatibility toolkit?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=7352

Maybe the game is listed in there (aka supported).

Other than that the best solution to play the game is in it's native enviroment under a Virtual Machine (VPC, Virtualbox, VMWare Player). And without a glitch too. :)

Collector 01-22-2012 10:49 AM

He already has the game running in VPC. He was just helping me by testing my patch to see it it could be made to run natively on his Vista.

@TimovieMan, This is something other than the usual Vista/Win7 compatibility problems. Using my launcher to start the game, does the screen go black for a second or two before the game window is created? I suspect that it may have to do with your graphics driver. What graphics adapter do you have and have tried to update the driver?

TimovieMan 01-23-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598825)
@TimovieMan, This is something other than the usual Vista/Win7 compatibility problems. Using my launcher to start the game, does the screen go black for a second or two before the game window is created? I suspect that it may have to do with your graphics driver. What graphics adapter do you have and have tried to update the driver?

When using your launcher, the screen does go black for a fraction of a second before it creates the game window (something to do with that ResChange.exe, I guess?).
The game window itself is blank, or rather "see-through". It creates the outline of the window, but the rest is just my wallpaper and desktop shortcuts that were underneath it.
After about 10 seconds I get an error message that the tin3_dxd.exe no longer works.

My computer system is:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
8 GB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
4 GB total video RAM
Operating system: Vista 64-bit Ultimate Edition

Graphics drivers are up-to-date. Most recent drivers for my card were released in October, my last driver update was in November (when I started playing L.A. Noire).

Do you require further info?

Collector 01-24-2012 12:04 AM

Yes the screen going black is the color depth dropping to 16-bit. No need to mention that your hardware is more that able to handle the demands of such an old game. Did you get the WDM driver from Microsoft or did you download the driver from NVIDIA? Some compatibility issues can be resolved by downgrading the driver to an earlier version, but I am not necessarily suggesting that you do it. One thing to try is to update your DirectX 9c.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

millenia 01-25-2012 08:07 AM

The patch seems to work fine at least when just trying it out (through the opening scenes), thanks a bunch.

TimovieMan 01-25-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 598951)
Did you get the WDM driver from Microsoft or did you download the driver from NVIDIA? Some compatibility issues can be resolved by downgrading the driver to an earlier version, but I am not necessarily suggesting that you do it. One thing to try is to update your DirectX 9c.

I downloaded my drivers from NVIDIA, not Microsoft.

The DirectX update didn't work either, same result: blank window and a crash.

I don't plan on downgrading my drivers to test this, though. Don't want to potentially open up a can of worms with my L.A. Noire playthrough... :D

Collector 01-25-2012 02:09 PM

Understood. As I said, it does seem to be some other issue than what others have had with the game on Vista/Win7, so it is more likely that it is something unique with your particular hardware and or configuration. Not really worth the effort track down for one game, especially since you have that game successfully running in VPC. I consider the use of a VM a course of last resort, but sometimes it is the easiest route. Anyway, thanks for testing my patch.

TimovieMan 01-26-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 599069)
I consider the use of a VM a course of last resort, but sometimes it is the easiest route.

I did consider it a last resort too, until I had one set up a few months ago. Since then I've decided that it really isn't that much more of a hassle than trying to find multiple patches or making registry adjustments.
Quote:

Anyway, thanks for testing my patch.
Thank YOU for making this patch. Even though it didn't help me, there are already a couple of other people that were helped by it, and I'm sure more will follow...

ivan70 03-26-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 599098)
I did consider it a last resort too, until I had one set up a few months ago. Since then I've decided that it really isn't that much more of a hassle than trying to find multiple patches or making registry adjustments.
Thank YOU for making this patch. Even though it didn't help me, there are already a couple of other people that were helped by it, and I'm sure more will follow...

Hi guys.
To Collector-i have installed a DN and also your patch.Everything is working nice,no breakdowns after intro, but when I want to load a saved game game crushes.Then I get this notification "Assert Message: Can t find CHUNK_CDPLAY_FILENUM.
And btw. I don t load from the main menu.When is the first scene where you can control Lewton in office,then I press F1-load and then all that happens..

Collector 03-26-2012 09:19 PM

Try pressing F1 to bring up the save/load game dialog.

Marduk 04-05-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeppe (Post 476696)
Here is the trick:

Using REGEDT32, locate the Discworld Noir registry key at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perfect Entertainment\Discworld Noir". Under it there should be a value called "Start Windowed", which is set to "No" by default. Change it to "Yes".

I can't find this directory in regedt32 OR regedit :frown;

EDIT: NM, I was able to download the correct reg from one of the above links :)

Collector 04-05-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 606427)
I can't find this directory in regedt32 OR regedit :frown;

EDIT: NM, I was able to download the correct reg from one of the above links :)

The Patch that I posted addresses this.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Design & Logo Copyright ©1998 - 2017, Adventure Gamers®.
All posts by users and Adventure Gamers staff members are property of their original author and don't necessarily represent the opinion or editorial stance of Adventure Gamers.