You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Install and setup your Sierra games to automatically run in DOSBox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #21

Sorry for delay. Didn't get a chance to download share games, yet, but doing so right now. Tried running KQ1-4 and they run just fine. KQ5,6, and 7 are the only ones that shutdown.

Just downloaded a game, and manual set it up for DOSbox, and everything runs fine. So problem only lies with 5,6, and 7 for King's Quest.

Last edited by Mintora; 11-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #22

I started my own thread, but I had several different questions in my thread...so I'll stick to specific questions about DosBox here.

I have two collections of King's Quest -- one is a three disk version that is older. It came out for like Windows 95 with lots of extra Apple II games included

The other collection that I have is the most recent XP version on two disks.

I tried playing KQ 7 with the XP version and came across the firecracker problem. So then I tried playing the KQ 7 that came with the first set . I ran into the same problem.

So then I downloaded the patches that were linked. I decided to go ahead and install both patches -- one for the older collection and one for the newer one.

After installing the patches, I tried playing KQ 7 on the older collection -- and it gave me the same error that the previous person described -- that DosBox encountered a problem and needed to close.

However, when I tried KQ 7 on the XP collection version there were no problems. It started the game just fine.

I don't know if that helps you narrow down the problem.

I had both patches use the same DosBox version, so the problem isn't DosBox itself. I'm running DosBox in Windows (Windows version of it) on XP on VMware Fusion on a Mac.

It sounds like you're the person who created these patches...or at least that you know a lot about them.

I also have DosBox installed on the Mac part of my computer (the one that is intended for Macs). I was wondering if there was any way you could tweak the patches to get them to work on a Mac.

Before downloading the patches, I had copied the folders that contained King's Quest to the Mac section of my computer. (So these were the original installation files that I had installed to Windows -- and I copied the XP version of the collections, plus the original KQ 1 game). When I tried playing those in my Mac DosBox, it said I was missing some Avi files or something. I compared my files from My Computer in XP with Finder in Mac, and it looked like everything was there. I finally found another program called Boxer and got KQ 1-6 to run on that. (I had to open up the folders on Finder and right click the Sierra.exe files and tell them to run in Boxer in order to get them to run.)

I then copied over the KQ 7 file from the first collection to see if I could get that to run. It wouldn't, even though that copy allowed for Dos.

It sounds like the patches would fix these problems, and allow me to get them to play in DosBox...if it were possible to get a patch that would allow me to use the Mac DosBox.

I have OS X Snow Leopard with everything that a MacBook comes with.

Like I said, I also have Windows XP installed through VMware Fusion. I can run XP at the same time that I run Snow Leopard.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #23

Default lsl not working with DOSbox

Hi,

i have the leasure suit larry ultimate pleasure pack and cant get it working, i have had the pack for about 15 yrs. i downloaded the dosbox program 0.74 and can open it just fine. when i put the LSL cd in it starts up with autosetup, not through dosbox. autosetup works for LSL 1-6 but not LSL7. even though the setup starts with LSL1-6 i still cant play them through windows I am new to this whole system and get quite frustrated that i cant play all my old adventure games.
can anyone help?
i was just about to buy some more such as day of the tentacle and monkey island but may not if i cannot play them.

Michael
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #24

Did you look at the installer page that this thread is about?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #25

i have been reading the forum for about 5 hours trying many different things all with no luck.
i don't know what i'm doing wrong
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #26

I guess the links in the first couple of posts are outdated. Perhaps a Mod can fix them. This is what the links should be:

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Update...nstallers.html