You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Sam and Max HTR & DOTT on iMac(?)

After successfully winning copies of Sam and Max Hit the Road, and Day of the Tentacle off of ebay for surprisingly cheap, I soon discovered why.
Had I not been swept up indulging my urge to suddenly purchase a bunch of classics and finally play them, I would have probably noticed from the item description that they are MAC versions only. (and I am a PC owner)

Before I let disappointment settle in, it occurred to me that I have access to an iMac, and thought I might not have just wasted my money! But I soon hit a road block: though I can see the files, most will not run automatically because they aren't "supported by the system". There seems to be manipulatable info on the disk and folders, but my knowledge of computers is minimal, and of mac operating systems is virtually non-existent. (since it is not my computer i am not comfortable blindly mucking with system configurations, etc)

So basically: Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to run these old games on an iMac? if so, how?

any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks
William
Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You can use ScummVm.

It's the emulator to play the games made with the SCUMM engine (and some others too now). The download links for the Mac version are on this page. It's a pretty straightforward thing to run, but they have a bunch of info there as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Adventurer

I'm going to assume you need the mac download of ScummVm to run a Mac version of the games on an iMac, right?

Or does the program run either version on either operating system? (shot in the dark!)

Last edited by WRMW; 05-15-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: on second thought...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW View Post
I'm going to assume you need the mac download of ScummVm to run a Mac version of the games on an iMac, right?

Or does the program run either version on either operating system? (shot in the dark!)
This sounds more complicated than it is, but long story short, you can use the Windows version of ScummVM to run the Mac version of the games on your PC. Or you could use the Mac version of ScummVM to run the games on the iMac. Pretty sure. You can also use the Nintendo DS version of ScummVM to run them on a DS. And so on.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Adventurer

Alright, sounds great! Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Adventurer

Ok help!?

Running ScummVm (windows version on my PC), it asks to select directory in which the game is installed -- but my game isn't installed and windows won't recognize it to install it!

How do I get the files onto my computer so that ScummVm will run them?

EDIT:

Ok I've installed HFVExplorer to extract the Mac files (I downloaded the zip file, and think I extracted it properly). Some systems require manipulation of files before HFVExplorer will recognize the mac files (apparently??) I've got windows XP, and it doesn't have specific instructions on anything extra you need for XP. Do I need to move one of the files I unzipped, as is necessary for Windows 95 or NT?
I've selected "show all invisible mac files" but nothing shows up on the CD. How come?
Thanks,
William

Last edited by WRMW; 05-16-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Adventurer

I appear to have solved my problem, cross my fingers, knock on wood.

Apparently XP needs the same file moved as Windows 95 for HFVExplorer to be able to read the files off a CD.
Figured I'd let others know, just in case someone ever runs across this problem in the future.

Thanks for the help!