You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
-H-

Default Broken Sword on XP

Can anyone tell me how do i install it? when i use SCumm, i don't get the intro or the videos.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #2

Have you tried using Dosbox?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Broken Sword 1 runs fine in XP for me. I just install it using the setup.exe(running in win98 compatible mode) on the cd, and when it's installed, I run the game with "winsword.exe" in C: \ SWORD. Also, I have to install and play the game with the cd in the first cd-rom on my system.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

Default Broken Sword on XP with Scummvm

You need to download the cutscene pack from http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php. Once you install this you should get all the cutscenes with no problems.

Hope this works

Ian
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
-H-

Yes, i know that works fine without SCumm, but the only way to play it in spanish is using that program.

Unless, of course, that someone here knows if there is a spanish patch.

Ian_L, which pack do i need to download? and once i downloaded it, what do i have to do?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #6

Its a while since I've played this game, so I haven't got it installed. There is a Spanish patch on the link I gave you. The following is an extract relating to Broken Sword from the Scummvm readme file you should refer to:-

3.7) Broken Sword notes:
---- -------------------
Broken Sword 1 and 2 both come with in-game cutscenes compressed using
RAD Game Tools' legacy Smacker(tm) format. As RAD is unwilling to open
the older legacy versions of this format to us, and have requested we not
reverse engineer it, Revolution Software has kindly allowed us to provide
re-encoded Broken Sword cutscenes for download on our website:

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

These cutscenes are provided in DXA format with FLAC audio. Their quality
is equal to the original games due to the use of lossless compression.
Viewing these cutscenes requires a version of ScummVM compiled with both
FLAC and zLib support.

For systems that are too slow to handle the decoding of FLAC audio,
the audio for these cutscenes is provided separately as OGG Vorbis audio
too. Viewing these cutscenes with OGG Vorbis audio requires a version of
ScummVM compiled with both libVorbis and zLib support.

The cutscenes should be placed in the main game data directory. Note that
currently this requires either copying the game to hard disk or burning
customised versions of the game CDs.

The instructions for the Broken Sword games are for the Sold-Out Software
versions, which are the ones you are probably most likely to find in stores
now.

3.7.1) Broken Sword 1:
------ ---------------
For this game, you will need all of the files from the clusters directories on
both CDs. You will also need the speech.clu files from the speech directories,
but since they are not identical you will need to rename them speech1.clu and
speech2.clu for CD 1 and 2 respectively.

In addition, you will need a music subdirectory with all of the files from the
music subdirectories on both CDs. Some of these files appear on both CDs, but
in these cases they are either identical or, in one case, so nearly identical
that it makes little difference.

ScummVM does not support the original cutscene files, so there is no need to
copy them.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
-H-

Thanks a lot, m8!!

BTW, what i meant with the spanish patch was that i wanted to apply one, but without using SCumm. Did i made myself clear?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #8

i just finished playing bs1 and started bs2 using scummvm and it worked so good i was impressed, just make sure you have the latest version of scummvm, because they update it all the time improving every game it supports.
you don't even need to have the game installed, you just copy/paste the files that scummvm needs to your hard disk, as for the cutscenes you also place them in the same directory as your game.
the only thing is, take care to make a save file where the program has its default location for it, because it won't do it for you , when you configure the settings, look at where it says the default save file is and create it there
anna
Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
-H-

Problem solved. Thanks a lot. Really.

This was what i did:

Downloaded the last version of scumm (0.10), then i downloaded this:

Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression) (58.5M) - Requires ScummVM 0.10.0

and i put those files in the "Clusters" folder of the installed game and it worked.

Apparently, the version of the scumm that i had was to old.

That was the way to do it or just luck? BTW, i just changed the language in the scumm options and it worked.

Last edited by -H-; 12-17-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #10

not just luck,lol, that was the way to do it, i had such fun with this game, i hadn't touched it before because i thought configuring scummvm would be difficult
in the same way you can configure bs2 too, just finished it, but i liked the first one better
anna
Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
Sar

Stupid question time. I have the original Circle of Blood cds. US version of BS1. I installed it a few times on my winxp in win95 compatibility mode 256 color. Never had a bit of trouble, the sound, graphics, and cut scenes run fine. I have played it several times this way without a single crash or incident. Why is it that everyone is using ScummVM? Am I missing something?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
-H-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
Stupid question time. I have the original Circle of Blood cds. US version of BS1. I installed it a few times on my winxp in win95 compatibility mode 256 color. Never had a bit of trouble, the sound, graphics, and cut scenes run fine. I have played it several times this way without a single crash or incident. Why is it that everyone is using ScummVM? Am I missing something?
I can also play the game without ScummVM without problems, but i use it because i can change the language.

That's the main reason for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
It may run fine, without Scumm, for some but not others. My brother experienced a crash every time he clicked on the hospital tab on the map. Buying the double pack version, which has ScummVM pre-installed with it, solved that problem for him. Plus, it enables you to play the game straight from the hard drive without having to keep switching CDs all the time.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #14

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I have both broken sword 1 and 2 on the old sold out label releases, when games were still in giant cardboard boxes. I installed both of these via scumm vm onto my xp machine last year to replay them, and they worked fine. I finished them both. My girlfriend then used just the data off the disks(so not even the actual disks themselves) and played the games using scumm on her vista laptop. So im my mind scumm is the way to go. Plus, as an above poster mentioned, Scumm is actually packaged with the games nowadays. Even revolution software who make the games endorse the program: they released their game "Beneath a steel sky" for free to run on scumm, and also reencoded the cutscenes for broken sword for download because the original videos used a codec that isnt allowed to be reversed enginered to be supported. So yeh....scumm rocks!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
The Quiet One

Yep, ScummVM certainly kicks ass! It'd kick 10x more ass if V-Sync was added to it and (hopefully soon) Discworld 1 & 2.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Doctor Watson

This post is totally useless, I just wanted to say that it really irks me when people say Scumm when they mean ScummVM. SCUMM stands for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion, ScummVM stands for SCUMM Virtual Machine.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #17
The Quiet One

Yeah, i know that, but i still like saying Scumm for short. I dunno i guess i'm just lazy putting VM at the end.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #18

Another reason to use ScummVM, it makes the games playable on other platforms, 64 bit Windows, MacOS, Linux and even some portable devices. Besides, if so many have trouble with BS on 32 bit XP, think about Vista. Just because it runs on your current PC does not mean that it will on your next one.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Caffein Queen

Well, actually I just played Beneath a Steel Sky in ScummVM on VISTA last night... no problems whatsoever

Haven't tried BS yet, but I will.. same goes for Flight og The Amazon Queen.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Yeah, i know that, but i still like saying Scumm for short. I dunno i guess i'm just lazy putting VM at the end.
They are, however, two completely different things so there's a potential risk of being misunderstood.