You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Do Still Life and Post Mortem work on Vista ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Do Still Life and Post Mortem work on Vista ?

I hope I don't get blocked for posting about Still Life... But anyway...

Does anyone know if Still Life or Post Mortem are compatible with Vista ? I've reseached all day yesterday and found out nothing. Though I did find that Paradise and Syberia are compatible.

Also what are some of the AAA point and click games for the PC ? My computer has a basic score of 3.5 out of 5.0. It has almost a 5 on everything except on grahpics, and has a 1.5Ghz Intel Core 2 duo processor T5250. I'm not even sure if it can play Broken Sword: Angel of darkness.

And one more thing. Where do you buy all these PC games ? I bought only consoles game til now. They can be found all over the place. Stores like Gamestop, EBgames, and blockbuster have alot of console games, but are limited to PC games. I don't think one store has more the 10 titles, making it highly unlikely to find Still Life or Post Mortem. What store do you think has it ?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't know about either one but others have asked about Still Life in Vista. There may be something in there (and another thread is linked to in there as well).
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #3

This thread might be working looking through also

Still Life, Star Force, and Vista
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Super Moderator

That particular thread is still on page 1 in this forum but I'll give the link anyway for future reference.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=21438
Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Banned User

Thanks you guys. But I still don't know where to buy the game.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You asked about buying games in general (although I'm not sure which 'the game' you're talking about in your recent post):

Check out these threads:

You also asked about AAA titles. That's such a general question that's going to be difficult to answer. Check the release dates page to see what's coming up, the game name is linked to its game info page. If you search the adventure forums, there will likely be a thread about it.

As to what's been released that people are recommending: we've had a few game recommendation threads in the past week that might steer you towards something.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #7

I just looked up Amazon.com for you and Still Life is in stock, priced at $9.97. They don't have Post Mortem in stock but give you options of where it could be ordered from. I can't vouch for those particular places but here is an option for you. As I still use Windows XP I have no idea if these games work on Vista.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Also, a shameless plug for the Adventure Shop. They're digital downloads, if you don't mind that (you can burn your own back up copy).
Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #9

I actually just finished playing Post Mortem yesterday. Works fine on my Vista Home Premium (Danish version, but same difference ) - I also have a basic score of about 3.5 with everything but the graphics above 5... I didn't have to play as administrator, in compatability mode or anything!

So I guess you shouldn't have any problems with Post Mortem

-Signe
Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #10

I have Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium and Post Mortem doesn't work. It installs fine, apart from an error message about Direct X 8.0, and when I try to play it, it crashes during those little opening sequence things, where company logo's might show up etc.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Caffein Queen

Try to allow the installation of DirectX 8. DirectX10 that comes with Vista doesn't have all the files from the other versions.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
Try to allow the installation of DirectX 8. DirectX10 that comes with Vista doesn't have all the files from the other versions.
I agree. DirectX seems to be the biggest culprit in not allowing Vista players to play older games.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #13

Damura,
I had the exact same problem with Post Mortem on Vista and this is what worked for me:
1) Go to "Control Panel" on Start Menu of your computer
2)Search for the UAC (USER ACCOUNT CONTROL)
3)Turn off UAC (the default is "on")

The people here at the Adventure Shop helped me out with this and it worked like a charm.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
eki

Thanks a lot ShaggyMia,
I am an Adventure game lover, but my old faithful XP crashed. Bought a new one from local store. Got one only with Vista. I heard from the seller after paying: "These new computers do not work with XP". ??
OK. I tried my old games (Post Mortem) first. I tried everything but nothing helped. Odd, I could not think, just turn off UAC. Even the child knows that.

But now the game works. Next to my Sherlock Holmes games. I think, they are easier than Vista!

Thanks ShaggyMia and your Adventure shop
eki
Old 07-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #15

Hiya o/.

As mentioned earlier, you will find difficulties in installing those games if you're using Vista 64. However they both work on Vista 32. Post Mortem should install with no difficulties, though you will not be able to play Still Life unless you right-click on the desktop icon and change its compatibility (or its .exe file) to Windows NT 4.0, as well as ticking the 'Disable Visual Themes' which is one of the options under the compatability window