You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #1

Default Still Life, Star Force, and Vista

I'm having trouble running Still Life on my new computer that runs Windows Vista. The game installs fine but when I try to play the game Im given an error message that says the Star Force driver is not compatable with this verson of Windows and I need a patch to fix it. I tried runing the game under compatabillity settings but it doesnt work. My main problem is that I cant get online at home right now. Is their any way I can run the game without having to get online to get a patch? If I cant and have to go online wear can I find a patch that will make it work?

Thanks in advance

Sorry everyone I some how missed the previous thread on this topic all togther. Once again sorry for the duplicty I guess I'm having a moment.

Last edited by Texas; 11-28-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #2

As far as i know u need the starforce driver update from there website.I dont think theres any other way round it.Its only a few kb.So it could fit on floppy disc or cdr if you have any of these to hand.

heres the link u want sfupdateutility after installing this u will need to restart pc for it to take effect

http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

On another note if you have problems at the start when you first chat with Gus (police officer) and the game freezes.Go into the games exe properties and choose compatibility mode windows NT and turn off desktop composition & scaling on high dpi settings

Last edited by mathall1; 11-28-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Hot 'n Spicy

An alternative is to uninstall that malware Starforce using their own uninstall utility (ironically), and use a 'cracked' game .exe to play instead.

Far less trouble in the long run.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #4

I wish game companies would stop using Star Force. It causes so many problems. I'm running XP and Star Force has screwed things up each time where XP doesn't even start (so I revert back to a last known good configuration). A lot of people who own and bought the games fair and square end up having to resort to a no-cd fix crack.

Recent Retail: The Shivah, Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Black Mirror, Cleopatra, Culpa Innata, Secret Files, Broken Sword 1-4, Indigo Prophecy, Nostradamus, Nibiru

Recent UG: Murder in a Wheel, Nelly Cootalot, The Farm, Two of a Kind, Donnie Darko, Reactor 9, Cedric & The Revolution, 5 Days a Stranger, Something Amiss (Chp 1 & 2), Prodigal
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you want to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of Starforce can you please use an existing thread (such as this one) This thread is really only for solving the problem as presented.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

First off I would like to thank everyone who responded for their help I really apreciate it. mathall1 thanks for the idea of downloading the driver update to a CD or floppy I may use that if my DSL modem doesnt come tomorrow like ATT promised it would. I really updating the driver works because when I try to run the game on a compatabillity setting the computer tells me that its impossible to run the program under compatability mode.

Thanks Again
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #7

Ok guys now Im a bit worried. I finally got my DSL working and I was able to download the Star Force update. Thanks for the link by the way. Unfortunatlly when I start the game I get some message about checking the disk and then the screen goes black and nothing happens. When I go to my task manager it says the game is running but all I get is a black screen. I tried running it on compatabillity but it gives me a message saying I cant run it on that mode. Am I not being pateint enough with it or am I just screwed? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Caffein Queen

Did you restart your PC after installing the update?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #9

Default still life screen goes black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Ok guys now Im a bit worried. I finally got my DSL working and I was able to download the Star Force update. Thanks for the link by the way. Unfortunatlly when I start the game I get some message about checking the disk and then the screen goes black and nothing happens. When I go to my task manager it says the game is running but all I get is a black screen. I tried running it on compatabillity but it gives me a message saying I cant run it on that mode. Am I not being pateint enough with it or am I just screwed? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Hey, I'm new to this. Did you ever figure out how to play still life with windows vista? I'm having the exact same problem.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgh 66 View Post
Hey, I'm new to this. Did you ever figure out how to play still life with windows vista? I'm having the exact same problem.

Welcome to AG.

I don't have Vista so I don't know if anyone has figured it out. Check out this thread to see if there's anything there to help you.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #11

Well guys I'm still out of luck I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work and all I get is a black screen. I'm really bummed out because I was really looking forward to playing it. Usually I play all my games with my wife. Unfortunatly she doesnt like horror or dark games. Next week I have to take a week of vacation or I lose it. I thought it would be a perfect time to play because my wife cant get it off with me. I went onto the Adventure Company website and looked on their support page but nothing worked. I event went so far as to email them asking for help but havent heard back. Im thinking of using the computer at my mothers to play it because she is still on XP. Additionaly I thought about downloading Post Mortum from the Adventure Shop as a substitute. Has anyone used the Adventure Shop do you recomend it? Do you recomend Post Mortum as a subsititue for Still Life or should I just try and play Still Life at my mothers? Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Hot 'n Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Well guys I'm still out of luck I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work and all I get is a black screen...
Thanks
When you say 'everything', did you try a 'cracked' .exe or not?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #13

I havent tried a cracked exe most because I wouldnt know how.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Sorry, but you won't be learning how to use a cracked.exe on this forum. They are illegal (and I won't be sympathetic to any arguments for being allowed to discuss them publicly. ).
Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #15

Perhaps, you could try installing the game into another path than to C:\Program Files\

I know someone who had issues getting certain programs to function properly 'cos of permissions or some other issues. We rectified it by changing the program installation path.

Or at the worst, try installing into a folder located on Desktop.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Texas,

I think you should definitely play Still Life. If it's not terribly inconvenient, use your mom's computer, since it'll definitely work on XP.

Also, check out this thread to hear others' opinions on the Adventure Shop. I've downloaded one game myself and other than having to manually activate it, it ran without any problems at all.

Edit: Definitely try Lucifel's suggestion too.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Hot 'n Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Sorry, but you won't be learning how to use a cracked.exe on this forum. They are illegal (and I won't be sympathetic to any arguments for being allowed to discuss them publicly. ).
Actually, if you live in Canada it's perfectly legal to use a so called cracked .exe.

In the UK, we have the Sale of Goods Act which in paraphase states that if an item does not do what it purports to do then you are entitled to a refund.

Not knowing where you are Texas (hmmm), I don't know whether any of those apply to you, but if it's not publicly acceptable to do so on this forum then I can PM you a link which you can at least try?

As far as I see it, having 'paid the fare' so to speak, does it matter to anyone (apart from self-important busy-body police types) whether to reach your destination, that you travel by bus, catch a train, walk, or hitch a lift from a stranger?!

What peculiar attitudes some people have!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #18

Another consideration: are you installing under an Admin user or under another user with limited rights? Either way, you ought to ensure you've got the full permissions to run and execute the program.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Pandry View Post
Actually, if you live in Canada it's perfectly legal to use a so called cracked .exe.

In the UK, we have the Sale of Goods Act which in paraphase states that if an item does not do what it purports to do then you are entitled to a refund.

Not knowing where you are Texas (hmmm), I don't know whether any of those apply to you, but if it's not publicly acceptable to do so on this forum then I can PM you a link which you can at least try?

As far as I see it, having 'paid the fare' so to speak, does it matter to anyone (apart from self-important busy-body police types) whether to reach your destination, that you travel by bus, catch a train, walk, or hitch a lift from a stranger?!

What peculiar attitudes some people have!
Actually, I think it's 'cos these forums are visited by international users and thus, given that laws in the various countries range from tolerant to punishing, regarding discussion and sharing of "cracks", AG might actually run into certain problems should some form of legal action be pursued. The way I see it, legal or not, the odds probably stand against AG.

Plus, I suspect many publishers and developers might not be too happy with such discussions and this could undermine AG's efforts to establish themselves as a trustworthy site.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Hot 'n Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
Actually, I think it's 'cos these forums are visited by international users and thus, given that laws in the various countries range from tolerant to punishing, regarding discussion and sharing of "cracks", AG might actually run into certain problems should some form of legal action be pursued. The way I see it, legal or not, the odds probably stand against AG.

Plus, I suspect many publishers and developers might not be too happy with such discussions and this could undermine AG's efforts to establish themselves as a trustworthy site.
So, by that very definition, legality is a matter of perspective.

Ok, it's necessary for AG to establish itself as a trustworthy site in the eyes of developers / publishers because...?