You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

Default Kings Quest 7: I need HELP

I REALLY need help getting my KQ7 game to work. I have tried everything I could find on the internet, and nothing is working. I just get a different error message every time I change something. If any one out there can help me I would be sooooooooooooo happy. please e-mail me with any advise..
[email protected]
Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG.

First, do you have one of the original games (from when it was first released) or one of the re-releases?

Second, what are your system specs and have you tried DOSBox?

Third, what error messages are you getting when you try to get it running?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #3

it is one of the original games, it was released in 94. when i install it it says that my system specks are more than enough. It doesn't have an option to install a DOS version only windows. my error messages were... windows title not found and error 99 and one with a lot of 00000000 and on I'm not sure how many.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Sar

I have that same version. Are you trying to install it on XP or Vista?

I installed it on XP but had to right click on the install file and install using win95 compatibility with 256 colors. With that it worked fine.

The box says it is a windows and dos game. I did not see instructions for dos install. You could try installing in dosbox. That may work.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #5

King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride Help on The Sierra Help Pages
Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
The box says it is a windows and dos game. I did not see instructions for dos install. You could try installing in dosbox. That may work.
In general for Sierra games - running setup.exe installs the Windows version, and running install.exe installs the DOS version.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #7

Default Omg!!!

Ok, so I got it to work and started playing, and was having sooooo much fun...........then chapter 5. I picked up the firecracker up and it went off in like 2 seconds.!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do!!! HELP!!HELP!!HELP!!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

This is a timing bug -- the timer on the firecracker is based on your computer's CPU speed, which is obviously much faster than it would have been if you played this game when it first came out!

You can either slow down your computer using a slowdown program (do a search for MoSlo on Google), or you can just keep picking it up, walking as far as you can until it explodes, hitting retry, and continuing this way until you're trying to go. (I forget where that is... crypt door or something?)
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhdrmi80 View Post
Ok, so I got it to work and started playing, and was having sooooo much fun...........then chapter 5. I picked up the firecracker up and it went off in like 2 seconds.!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do!!! HELP!!HELP!!HELP!!
You didn't check out the link, did you? The firecracker bug is nearly impossible to get through on a modern PC. DOSBox or an old PC is just about your only solution. Again, King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride Help on The Sierra Help Pages, specifically, here.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #10

Hi there to all who are interested in playing this GREAT game under Vista...

I managed to get Kings Quest 7 (windows only version) to run under Vista with no issues by doing the following:

1. Copy all files from the CD to a folder on your HD. eg. C:\Games\KQ7\
2. Copy the files from the folder "KQ7\English" to "KQ7"
3. Create a shortcut of SIERRAW.EXE
4. Right click on the new shortcut and go to PROPERTIES tab.
4a. in the TARGET field enter the following without the " " : "D:\GAMES\KQ7\SIERRAW.EXE D:\GAMES\KQ7\resource.win"
4b. apply the changes and then you can rename the shortcut to KQ7.exe and look for the correct icon by choosing the "Change Icon" button and browsing to point to the SIERRAW.ICO file!

note that I have the game folder on my D:\ so you can substitute the folder to point to wherever you have the files... just so long as the paths point to the SIERRAW.EXE and RESOURCE.WIN files!!!!!!

The game will run in the resolution you have on the desktop or in 640x480 using the compatibility tab on the shortcut and selecting "Run in 640x480"

Hope this helps all get going ASAP and enjoy this GREAT game in VISTA with no problems!!!!

If this don't work... vomit!!!!!!

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 12-08-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: fixed smilies
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #11

You won't be able to play past the firecracker bug with the Windows version. The DOS version in DOSBox is the only way to fly.

Edit: The above links no longer work. The right links are:

King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride Help on The Sierra Help Pages, specifically, here.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
3rd person fanatic :)

was there subtitles in this game?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #13

Default Fast computers

I had the same problem.

I need to find a good program to slow down the PC.

By the way, what is the best program to do this?

I also have playthroughs for several KQ games:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...868FE266A72C24
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
was there subtitles in this game?
No...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I had the same problem.

I need to find a good program to slow down the PC.

By the way, what is the best program to do this?
Completely unneeded if you play the DOS version in DOSBox. Besides, many of the slowdown utilities don't work very well in these days of multi core CPUs.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #16

I'm also running into a problem with KQ7.

I am using a version I downloaded as part of an old dos games torrent - and before anyone guilt trips me about illegal downloading, I already bought the game once!

Anyway, I'm running it on dosbox version 0.72. In the very first seconds of the game starting up, it crashes and I get an error message that reads:

"Error 99: Error loading reasource 1304.wav
..\restype.cpp(54)
script 1250/$6a3"

If I choose "no" for scrolling it happens before any video loads. If I choose "yes" for scrolling, it happens as soon as they show the mother pulling at her dress that's caught on a cactus.

Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #17

Even if "abandonware" was OK on this board, it can be nearly impossible to troubleshoot pirated games, as they usually are rips, with missing and/or modified (cracked) files that lead to unpredictable results/crashes. I have a number of fixes for this game, but they will only work on full legitimate versions. BTW, the "abandonware" argument doesn't work with this game as it is currently on sale brand new with the recent KQ collection for very little money.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #18

I'm not even sure what you mean by abandonware. My argument was simply that I bought the game already when it was first released and there's no need for me to pay for it a second time. My original copy is probably buried in my parents storage if we didn't toss it out.

I figured I'd get a similar response you yours as far as not being able to troubleshoot, but it was worth a try.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
FearlessFreep

Default The firecracker

When I pick up the firecracker in Chapter 5, it goes off automatically! The worst part is that when I choose "Try Again," it doesn't go back to before I picked it up, but to just after, so it just blows up again! And when I quit and restart the game, it turns out the game has been saved to the point just after picking it up, so it immediately blows up once again! Frustrating.

BTW, I love KQVII despite its flaws.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFreep View Post
When I pick up the firecracker in Chapter 5, it goes off automatically! The worst part is that when I choose "Try Again," it doesn't go back to before I picked it up, but to just after, so it just blows up again! And when I quit and restart the game, it turns out the game has been saved to the point just after picking it up, so it immediately blows up once again! Frustrating.

BTW, I love KQVII despite its flaws.
What version do you have? (Look in the "version" file)