You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #21

I am having trouble getting my KQ7 game to work. It is an original copy, not downloaded and I did what someone here suggested to get it to work on Vista, but I still got the same message no matter what I did. How can I fix it?

Last edited by SPMCRLVR1981; 05-28-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #22
Caffein Queen

Try going here for help

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
This is a timing bug -- the timer on the firecracker is based on your computer's CPU speed, which is obviously much faster than it would have been if you played this game when it first came out!

You can either slow down your computer using a slowdown program (do a search for MoSlo on Google), or you can just keep picking it up, walking as far as you can until it explodes, hitting retry, and continuing this way until you're trying to go. (I forget where that is... crypt door or something?)
I had the same problem with the firecracker on my windows only version when running it on xp. MoSlo would probably have worked, but the free version is only for DOS and the version that slows windows is $23. I used Cpukiller3 and it worked great. It can be downloaded here: http://www.cpukiller.com/download.html
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMCRLVR1981 View Post
I am having trouble getting my KQ7 game to work. It is an original copy, not downloaded and I did what someone here suggested to get it to work on Vista, but I still got the same message no matter what I did. How can I fix it?

If Collectors advice didn't help... I ran into a similar problem when running mine on xp. I copied the sierraw.exe file from the cd to my KQ7 folder and changed the target in the launch icon from sierraws.exe to sierraw.exe.... Then I got a error similar to yours, so I checked that the drive referenced in the resource.win file was the same as my cdrom using notepad. It wasn't. The referenced drive was D: and my cdrom was E: so I changed the references to E: with notepad and saved the changes. Then it ran fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLad View Post
Hi there to all who are interested in playing this GREAT game under Vista...

I managed to get Kings Quest 7 (windows only version) to run under Vista with no issues by doing the following:

1. Copy all files from the CD to a folder on your HD. eg. C:\Games\KQ7\
2. Copy the files from the folder "KQ7\English" to "KQ7"
3. Create a shortcut of SIERRAW.EXE
4. Right click on the new shortcut and go to PROPERTIES tab.
4a. in the TARGET field enter the following without the " " : "D:\GAMES\KQ7\SIERRAW.EXE D:\GAMES\KQ7\resource.win"
4b. apply the changes and then you can rename the shortcut to KQ7.exe and look for the correct icon by choosing the "Change Icon" button and browsing to point to the SIERRAW.ICO file!

note that I have the game folder on my D:\ so you can substitute the folder to point to wherever you have the files... just so long as the paths point to the SIERRAW.EXE and RESOURCE.WIN files!!!!!!

The game will run in the resolution you have on the desktop or in 640x480 using the compatibility tab on the shortcut and selecting "Run in 640x480"

Hope this helps all get going ASAP and enjoy this GREAT game in VISTA with no problems!!!!

If this don't work... vomit!!!!!!
It works for me! Except when I get to the last chapter of the game after you turn Malicia into a baby (i forgot to use the life on edgar..) anyway it doesn't play the video for the ending. Whats up with that?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #26

Since this old thread has been dredged up, I might as well update the information on this game. I have three different installers for this game. One for version 1.4, one for version 1.51 and finally one for the final version, 2. The first two will update the game to version 2.0.0b with the DOS interpreter. This is critical, as not only does version 2.00b address several bugs that are present in the earlier versions, the firecracker speed bug is nearly impossible to get past on modern PC, and slowdown utilities are of questionable use on many newer PCs with their multi cores. That chapter can be skipped, but then you are missing part of the game. Other issues with the Windows version is that this 16-bit game, as all 16-bit games, will not run on any 64-bit Windows and the game's main executable on version 1.51 does not work on modern 32- bit Windows (though it can be replaced with another one that shipped with the game, but requires manual configuration of the shortcut to work).

The answer to all of these problems is DOSBox, the retro gamer's best friend. These installers will automatically setup the game to run in DOSBox with no manual configuration required. It will allow the game to run on any modern Windows PC. All that needs to be done is to download the installer for your version of the game (open the "VERSION" file on the CD in Notepad), stick your original CD in your CD drive and run the installer to have it all done for automatically. You will then be able play the game from a Windows shortcut like any Windows program.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #27

Default 1994 version KQ7

Do I attempt to install or copy the files into Sierra\KQ7 before applying the DOSbox files on the Sierra Help page? I have the 1994 version.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #28

Just to let you know your installer 1.51 worked. Thanx
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #29

I used to have patchers that you had to apply after the game was installed or copied, but an installer that also applies the update automatically is easier for the user and leads to fewer issues.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #30

Do you have a patch that would work on Mac OSX Snow Leopard with DosBox for Macs?

I have Windows XP on the computer as well under VMware Fusion, and I have all of the games installed there. I put the patches on Windows, but it means that I have to run Windows in order to play the games.

I have Boxer installed on the Mac as well as DosBox. I copied the original files for the games from My Computer to Finder. (This was the unpatched version of the games). I could play the games on Boxer as long as I could view the game folders in Finder and right clicked the Sierra.exe file and told it to play in Boxer.

That worked for everything except KQ 7.

(I have two King's Quest Collections -- a version that came on 3 discs and a version that came on 2 discs for XP. I used the files from XP for Boxer, except for the original KQ 1. For that game, I had to copy the folder from the older collection since that game didn't come with the XP collection. I also tried to copy KQ 7 from the earlier collection since the XP collection didn't have a Dos version of it. KQ 7 won't play in Boxer -- it says I'm missing a 999 pal file or something like that.)

I had tried to get the games to play from DosBox on Mac, but it said I was missing files...even though I copied the files directly from My Computer, where I had installed them in XP.

So...would it be possible to make a patch that would allow me to play the games in DosBox on Mac?

If not, then what do I need to do to get KQ 7 to run on Boxer?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #31

Default i need the same help

Hey guys
Im having the same problem however unsure as to how i can install the game another way?
I have the new kings quest collection for windows XP however all the games work exceot for kings quest 7! my favourite one!

Please help my computer is windows 7 and ihave already tried changing the compatibilty mode in the properties.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #32
Advie.1

i didnt read the previous ,but did you try the official sierra's installer for Dos at
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Up...nstallers.html