You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Sam and Max -- Season 1

Just a quick question:

When I started up Episode 1 culture shock, after the publisher/developer credits, the intro movie played but there was not sound and it was all red and black (with white and yellow writing). I assumed this meant I was unable to run the game on my computer, but as soon as it cut to in the office, everything seemed to run, graphics and sound included.

Out of interest I started a new game to see if I'd get the same problem, but I once again got the red and black intro (with sound this time). So I'm wondering is this a stylistic intro that's supposed to be like that? Or is my video card crapping out on the intro movie?

Plus, ever since I've loaded the game (box set) on my computer, it seems to be running considerably slower. I'm wondering if any else noticed anything, or if it's because of something else (like the slew of system updates it seems to download everytime I turn on my computer.)

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

The intro is probably as it should be. You can see the way it should be in this youtube video.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Adventurer

Alright thanks. I'm glad the game seems to be playing properly.

Unfortunately my computer's overall reduced speed is driving me nuts. It probably has nothing to do with the game and it's just a very ill-timed coincidence, but as soon as I've finished it, I'm planning on removing every last trace from my harddrive and hopefully things will return to normal.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Nothing would have installed with the game that would be causing your computer to slow down.

Have you done a virus and spyware check lately?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Adventurer

Actually my virus and spyware check (and systems updates) seem to be working overtime at the moment. Every time I turn on my computer (and sometimes several times during use) it will download new updates. It seems to be installing things constantly. Interestingly enough, my subscription expires shortly (in a month or so) and I have selected the "remind me later" option every time it warns me instead of renewing my subscription.

Perhaps the virus protection program is taking action to scare me into renewing it (or punishing me for not?)
...Or I'm just paranoid.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #6

If the game runs slow, you can go into the options and crank down the graphics settings. I tend to turn mine down just enough that the lip sync matches up.

On the general computer problems side, it often helps to have multiple antivirus/antispyware programs to check and balance one another. There are a few good free ones, although I'm not up to date on which ones are recommended.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Adventurer

Default So more problems and...

Now that I've accepted that Sam and Max is in no way muddling with my system, the game now accuses me of using a backup disc when my original is most definately in the drive. It's frustrating because it worked the first time, but now it can't identify the disc.

Following the link to the SecuROM site, I get these words of advice:
Quote:
If this message occurs, although you are using the original disc, please check if the correct communication mode is being used with your drive. Please check if the DMA mode is enabled by using the Device Manager

Open the Device Manager.
Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
Right-click the icon for the channel to which your CD/DVD drive is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.
In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "DMA if Available" if the current setting is "PIO Only." If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then you must toggle the settings. That is:
Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if available.
But being computer illiterate as I am, I cannot for the life of me find my "device manager" (and a search of my computer brings up only a device manager related to MSN Messenger). Where can I find this and how can I fix my problem?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Adventurer

UPDATE:

I've blindly stumbled into my device manager, but I have no idea which channel my CD/DVD drive is on (primary or secondary?)

Primary Channel has device 0 (device type auto detection), transfer mode: DMA if available, and current transfer mode: PIO mode.
Device 1 is device type: None, transfer mode: DMA if available, current transfer mode: not applicable.

Secondary Channel is identical except the Device 0 current transfer mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2.

I tried their "toggling method" in the primary channel (setting transfer mode to PIO only and then back again, but it didn't change the current transfer mode.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Others have had this problem as well. Here are some threads that explain who you need to contact, what to do, etc.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/...device+manager

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/...device+manager

I hope that helps.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Adventurer

Thanks Melanie!

I don't think I actually changed anything in my settings, but somehow the game's back up and running, but I guess we'll see for the next time I try to play it!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Cool! I'm glad it's working for you now.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Adventurer

Well I finished Episode 1 just fine, but starting up episode 2 I get the same problem. The same steps that seemed to fix it before don't this time, so I might have just gotten lucky the first time (apparently the error only happens most of the time).
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
Adventurer

So apparently the way to fix the problem is to post on these forums looking for help. As soon as I bother all you guys, the game decides that it wants to run.

But we'll see the next time I launch... I never seem to know what to expect.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
So apparently the way to fix the problem is to post on these forums looking for help. As soon as I bother all you guys, the game decides that it wants to run.
Do you have multiple CD/DVD drives on this machine? If yes, can you try it in your second drive?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW View Post

But we'll see the next time I launch... I never seem to know what to expect.
It's the forum mojo!

But it'll be good to do what fov suggests to try and figure out what's going on in case it happens again.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
Adventurer

Nope, only one cd drive (it's a laptop).
I emailed TAC support, but I couldn't make a SecuROM launch analysis, so I gave up contacting them.

It's frustrating because when the game actually runs it's great! If it were some mediocre adventure I might just give up, but I'm enjoying it far too much for that!