You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Broken sword 4/Dreamfall...not original disc?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
I have a power 2, u kno.

Default Broken sword 4/Dreamfall...not original disc?

Hi ppl

I bought BS4 a couple of weeks ago and it installed fine and the first time I ran it, it also played no problem.
I then tried to install dreamfall which I also bought on the same day and for some reason that wouldnt work after installing. I think it may have somehow changed something the properties to my cdrom drive??
So i decided to go back to playing BS4 and now that won't read my disc I get a message saying 'Timeout-please insert original disc' .
(The disc is the real deal by the way)I get a link on this message to an internet site thats supposed to tell me what to do if the disc is the original one but I think the solution is for windows xp whereas I'm using Vista premium.
Can anyone help me get these games running? Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Thank you
Old 09-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
I have a power 2, u kno.

OK I've been messing around trying to install both games again and found that the problem is Starforce.
I managed to find a patch/download to make it just enough compatible so that BS4 runs... albeit slowly, however I still can't get Dreamfall to run. Anyone any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #3

Have you tried to do a system restore from before you installed Dreamfall? Then reinstall Dreamfall, but don't run it until after you have replaced the original EXE with one that has been patched to not use Starforce. It is a shame that the NOCD patches are of more use to legitimate owners than to pirates.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melikins View Post
OK I've been messing around trying to install both games again and found that the problem is Starforce.
I managed to find a patch/download to make it just enough compatible so that BS4 runs... albeit slowly, however I still can't get Dreamfall to run. Anyone any suggestions?
I had to enter(in XP) Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Primary IDE channel - Advanced Settings and change Transfer mode back from "PIO only" to "DMA if available" on both devices after playing a Starforce game. PIO mode is really slow, but unfortunately Starforce will set your devices to this mode if it had problems with your device timing out one time(which can happen for any number of reasons). If your device get stuck in PIO mode, it can damage the device.