You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Undercover: Operation Wintersun videos won't play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #1

Default Undercover: Operation Wintersun videos won't play

So I just received Undercover: Operation Wintersun in the mail yesterday, it installed fine and everything, but when I tried to load up the game, the intro videos were just blank. I could hear the audio for the lighthouse interactive intro, the game intro etc. but the screen was just black. So naturally I thought it might be a driver issue, having just updated it to a newer version, so I reverted back to an older driver. This however did not resolve anything for me. Then I tried a whole number of things including reinstalling ffdshow, re-encoding the videos to Xvid and trying a boatload of different drivers (uninstalled the previous ones from device manager and rebooted before installing).

Then I discovered something odd, when I would alt+tab or winkey + tab during the intro movies (or ingame movies for that matter), they would show. This to me is completely puzzling, why would they show when alt+Tabbed or alt+winkeyed but not when simply ingame?

My system:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2,0GHz
2x 1GB DDR2 667MHz
nVidia 8600M GT 512MB

It should also be noted that I'm having a similar problem with Team Fortress 2, which may or may not be related. There I can't see the intro's of the game either, the ingame movies (briefing you on the level) however do show.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me, if not on how to get the videos to display ingame, then on how to run Undercover windowed, as presumably that would get them to show as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #2

I had the exact same problem with the videos, the screen was just solid white and I didn't even get sound.

But I managed to figure it out!

Here's what you do -

Make sure your Windows Media Player is the default player to open WMV files.
Then go to Windows Media Player's video performance advanced settings, there you should have overlay mixer selected.

Also if you use ffdshow, go to its configuration and highlight DirectShow control,
there should be a "Don't use ffdshow in:" list. Just add Operation Wintersonne.exe there.

Hopefully this solves the problem for you, and everyone else who are possibly experiencing this issue too.

Slightly non related but you can run the game in custom resolution if you change the resolution values in 'options.dat' file.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #3

I had the same issue and fixed it, here's how:

I went into the Program Files\Undercover\data folder and opened options.dat in NotePad. I then changed the resolution to that which I have set for my desktop. After that I started the game and the videos played fine. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #4

I can't see videos also in Vista. But i found on some other site that someone used alt+tab and then could see videos. It worked for me, but i have another problem. My videos are fliped vertically. How to fix that?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retuobak View Post
So I just received Undercover: Operation Wintersun in the mail yesterday, it installed fine and everything, but when I tried to load up the game, the intro videos were just blank. I could hear the audio for the lighthouse interactive intro, the game intro etc. but the screen was just black. So naturally I thought it might be a driver issue, having just updated it to a newer version, so I reverted back to an older driver. This however did not resolve anything for me. Then I tried a whole number of things including reinstalling ffdshow, re-encoding the videos to Xvid and trying a boatload of different drivers (uninstalled the previous ones from device manager and rebooted before installing).
Just curious, when you had the problem, did you try running any of the 5 WMV files directly from their folder \data\pc\Videos?
I remember having a similar problem with a game called Father Frost, and I could play the videos externally.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #6

try using this:

http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=52

it forces the game to run in the windowed mode, it played the videos like it should that way for me(on vista)
Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Okay, so I have the same problem as the others here, but I got error messages during the install too. I was told that I couldn't install movie8 and 9 (ww2) because the source was corrupt. I chose to ignore after trying the other options..
I can play the five wmv files externally, and they open automaticly in WMP (as I've told it to do) but I can't play the ww2 files.

Edit: I also have Vista home premium.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
King Silly

I had the same exact problem under Vista Home Basic. That alt+tab thing worked great for the videos.

Also my game always crashed ( Wintersonne.exe stopped responding message) when I flew to Germany and game loaded. I uninstalled the game, found upgrade for my 3d drivers and it never occured again.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Okay, so I have the same problem as the others here, but I got error messages during the install too. I was told that I couldn't install movie8 and 9 (ww2) because the source was corrupt. I chose to ignore after trying the other options..
I can play the five wmv files externally, and they open automaticly in WMP (as I've told it to do) but I can't play the ww2 files.
As far as I know, .WW2 is not an official extension for video files, but at least 12 .WW2 files that come with the game are indeed video files.
I could play 12 of the .WW2 files in WMP and in MP Classic - they are very short soundless video snippets that are superimposed on the game screens themselves, showing things like doors opening and shop signs swinging.
The only .WW2 file I couldn't play is movie4.ww2. I don't really think it's due to corruption, because the file is considerably larger than the other .WW2 files - it weighs 2.54MB (while the others are only a few dozen KB in size), even larger than one of the .WMV files (movie15.wmv).

Judging by its name, movie4.ww2 IS a video file, but I didn't get any messages about a corrupt file during installation... can anybody play this file?

Panthera, it's really weird that you got the corruption message. Did you buy the download version or the boxed retail version?
And, by the way, we're all speaking about the English version in this thread, right? I think the English version is 1.1, while the German version is 1.0 probably.

Last edited by Aurebesh; 10-05-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:57 AM   #10

i have same problems with the game and many errors !when the game crash in my game folder i get this message ERROR: Font <PP>\Misc\Fonts\<TP>\menu.tga: 118 characters found but 117 characters in definition can anyone tell me what happend???
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I have the boxed (english) version. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall several times, and I think my game disc is corrupted. The game seems to work though, alt+tabbing works for me too. I don't want to continue playing though, because I don't want to reach the place where those two videos should play, and not see anything.

I wondered if someone could send me those two videos, and I could paste them into the video folder, and hope that's enough..
Please pm me if you can send me the videos. Please

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Confused

I got this game yesterday, and I tried working out how to do what captain woodeye said, but I have no idea how to find any settings in the new Windows Media Player. Anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Is there any patch out to resolve the issue ? I am facing the same issue
Please HELP!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #14

I have the same problem...have tried all above advice to no use. Anyone have more help?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #15

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I went into my NVidia settings and switched Anti-Aliasing to application controlled. Then ran the game and it worked fine! Hope this helps someone out there!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #16

Default game flickers

I downloaded the game. the alt tab thing worked but now the game flickers. I didn't have nvidia so I downloaded it but it won't work either. HELP
Old 12-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #17

http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=52

Using this i be able to run this game ty .
Old 07-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #18

hello friends
I have installed "Undercover: Operation wintersun" and it crashes whenever I try to run it... I get the message

"Operation Hellfire
Vision:: Video. Init failed"

What could be wrong?