You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Sherlock Holmes Rose Tattoo... question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes Rose Tattoo... question?

I've just installed the game following the directions from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilecabinet4/XpSetupsP_T/SH_Rose_Tattoo_Setup.htm

I use Windows XP Service Pack 2.

A few questions/comments:

1. Is the music in this game really as horrible as I think it is? Is there anything I can do to increase the quality? I run the game with VDMSound and I also have the launchpad installed. I think the music seriously detracts from the experience... anyone else agree that the midi is very primitive, even for a game this old? The first Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes sounded better, if I remember right.

2. Are the character movements choppy as a rule, or is there something I can do (VESA drivers, Turbo slowdown) to make it right? Or is this just how the game was designed?

3. I have both Abandonloader and DOSBox, but the instructions in the link at the top of this post says to use VDMSound and it works fine. I tried Abandonloader and there is no difference.

4. Do I need to download a VESA Driver?

Anyone who is playing this (or has played it), what are the optimal settings for you; what helped to optimize the experience?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #2

Doesn't anyone have any ideas?

Please?

I saw another Rose Tattoo question in this very forum... I'm sure some of you guys are around!

Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #3

Try using a slowdown program for your PC (the choppy graphics and sound are probably because your PC is too fast for good old sherlock). A program like MoSlow (google it, might find it), that was included with some of the sierra games might do the trick.

And try using dosbox as this program has a function to speed up/slow down the emulator.

Music was pretty ok if I recall, but don't expect fantastic
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #4

Default Rose Tattoo, Mycroft's Flat Crash

I am running Sherlock Holmes: Rose Tattoo with VDMSound, and have had no problems until I got to Mycroft's flat where "show keys/papers", etc., makes the game crash every time.

The Inferno link said to use a CPU Speed program, like WinThrottle, to avoid these crashes and I followed the advice. But it does not help at all, the crash is still the same.

I tried switching to DosBox to run the game, but when I go to the command prompt and type "holmes2" or "holmes2.bat" the screen is frozen and nothing happens.

Anyone have any other ideas?! Please??
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #5

What more can I do than ask a question politely?

Doesn't anyone have some ideas for me???

What do I need to do to get some help around here?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

I haven't had any problems with it, but I played it on an older computer, no XP. So my advice is to install Virtual PC (it's free) and run the game in DOS.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I haven't had any problems with it, but I played it on an older computer, no XP. So my advice is to install Virtual PC (it's free) and run the game in DOS.
Wouldn't that be the same as running it in DOSBox?

I've tried DOSBox and the game doesn't even start, for me.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

I'm a technical nitwit... just so you know.
Must be the reason I always have problems with DosBox. So I don't use it.

I'd say emulating a machine is not the same thing as emulating an operating system, no. If you'd have problems running Rose Tattoo using Virtual PC and a real Dos version, then you wouldn't be able to play the game anyway.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I'm a technical nitwit... just so you know.
Must be the reason I always have problems with DosBox. So I don't use it.

I'd say emulating a machine is not the same thing as emulating an operating system, no. If you'd have problems running Rose Tattoo using Virtual PC and a real Dos version, then you wouldn't be able to play the game anyway.
Thanks for your help (good to have some insight, finally!) and I'll check into this Virtual PC.

Hopefully I can make some progress here.