You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #1

Default The X-Files Game On Windows XP

Hey,

The X-Files Game is one of my favourite adventure games and I've completed it on Windows 98 but when I play it on Windows XP the sound is screwed up.

I'll elaborate... The sound pretty much crackles during every part of the game. (Including the Fox Interactive logo.)

Does anyone else have this problem? (It doesn't matter if it can't be fixed, I can still play it on Windows 98.)
Old 09-21-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

hmm. i recently played this on XP and now that you mention it, i might have noticed a little bit of crackling... but nothing bad enough to prevent me from playing.

i don't know if this would make a difference (probably not), but make sure you're using the version of Quicktime that comes with the game (if you have a newer version, uninstall it and install the version that comes with the game instead).

-emily
Old 09-21-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

This might be a pointless question, but do you have the newest drivers for your sound card? And have you tried running the game using XP's compatibility mode?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Under pressure.

I can't get it to run *at all* which is a shame because I really like that game.

Furthermore, I have never played it with full graphic's effects on. That required too much from my Pentium 200 Mhz, which I owned at the time I bought the game when it was just released. (Even though the min. requirement to run X Files is 120 Mhz)

--Erwin
Old 09-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies everyone... much appreciated.

fov: I've tried installing the version of Quicktime that came with the game but it doesn't seem to fix the problem... Although I don't think I seperately uninstalled the newer version. BTW Fov, did you like the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustrian
This might be a pointless question, but do you have the newest drivers for your sound card? And have you tried running the game using XP's compatibility mode?
Yup, I've tried compatibility mode (Thats one feature that is really awesome about XP... infact, except for the occassional game not working, XP is kick ass! ) but I haven't tried searching for newer soundcard drivers. I pretty much just assumed because the computer is fairly new it would already have the newer drivers installed.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

i did like the game! i love FMV and this was one of the better games i've played lately... i thought the acting and the production level in this game were very good.

have you tried messing around with the audio settings within the game? i really think i found a way to minimize them, but now i can't remember what i did (don't have the game installed anymore or i'd try to figure it out...)

the quicktime thing fixed a problem for me later in the game with lock-ups, so i figured that was worth a try...

-emily
Old 09-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #7

I wasn't planning on playing The X-Files game again until October anyway so I'll pretty much screw around with it then , and like I said before I can always play it on Windows 98 anyway.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:14 AM   #8
Excessively diverted

I loaded up the X-Files on my shiny new computer this morning, and was surprised at how well it worked on xp. I had the crackly sound thing to start with, but fiddled with the audio settings until the music was set to one bar volume, and the overall volume switch was also turned down to about half way. This eradicated the problem for me totally and I quite happily played the whole thing through
Old 09-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #9

Cool. Sounds like a plan. (How long did it take you to replay the game? It is kinda short. )

(BTW. Thanks fov and Claire! )
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
danilovski

Default i solved the problem

yes yes...
i solved the problem, go to my post, is all there

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...8921#post58921

bye...