You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Default Tex Murphy Overseer Tech Problem

hey everyone--this forum looks great! can't believe i'm just now finding it... anyway,

i recently got tex murphy overseer, and found this link, which explains how to finagle with DVDExpress software in combination with a patch to get it to read the video from the DVD.

i have read a few threads where someone had problems getting video to show up at all, or problems with the choose-your-own-adventure multiple-choice sections of dialogue, but i have a different problem.

the video plays fine, but it is vertically skewed into the upper half of my screen, squished. i have messed with the resolution settings, both in my windows display and in the config panel of overseer itself.

i have also tried moonlight-elecard mpeg player, as one forum suggested, but it didn't show up under mpeg devices.

i am aware that this is a problem that can be solved simply by getting a copy of the cd-rom version, but i'd really love to know what's causing this minor glitch. the first-person portions of the game look and play immaculately.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
-tre

btw, my specs;

windows xp sp2
pentium 4 3GHz, hyperthreaded (i turned hyperthreading off for overseer.exe, through a program called imagecfg--it eliminates the need for compatibility mode for some win95-2000 games, and is pretty much amazing.)
1GB ram
ATI mobility radeon x600 graphics card
currently using Mediamatics DVDExpress software in Overseer, which is the only device that has gotten video to show up at all.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums treelzebub. I moved your thread to the Hints and Tips forum.

Lots of people here have played the Tex Murphy games (not me yet though ) so I'm sure someone will be along to see what they can figure out.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

thanks!

i look forward to helping out around here.. and posting things where they should go
Old 03-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #4

It doesn't show up in the device list. You just have to try all choices in the list to find out which one is compatible with your card.

I think Elecard is better choice, so after you install it, just pick one by one in device list, untill the video is ok.

Running Slackware Linux

Last edited by daikatana_; 03-23-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #5

Google "Unofficial Tex Murphy" and "forums". They know all things Tex Murphy and can probably help you better over there.