You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #21

Do you have FFD Show installed?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #22

Default works on vista

Well i tried the game on vista home premium and it actually works BETTER than on xp. I didn't even have the opening movie problem that a lot of people (including myself) had on XP. The view geometry and analyze functions work perfectly in Sidney.. So I'm assuming my problem must be with another codec, aside from the notorious ffdshow on the XP machine...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Do you have FFD Show installed?
No..I did a thorough search and there's no FFDShow. I think it must be another codec? It's okay..now that I have it working on vista, I'll just play it there I guess. Thank you for trying to help though, I appreciate it
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #24

Default Same problem

I have this exact some problem, the black screen and the "not responding" message. I know for sure it isn't about codecs, because I can open the *.avi file and watch the sierra logo without problems (media player). When I switch the Sierra.avi for a random avi file and I start the game, I hear the avi sound at startup, but still the black screen.

Thanks in advance

Tatoon
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #25

well if you have problem with opening movie I`ll try to resolve it

find your ffdshow video decoder (start/k-lite codec pack/configuration), then find Cinepak and change libavcodec to disable

and that`s it
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #26

My problem is that I can't even install the game on my computer (I'm using Windows Xp SP3). The launch screen will appear and I will click on "install" - and then... nothing. I've tried switching the compatibility mode, but it doesn't work either.

Can someone help me?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #27

Default A fix for video crashing issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I had the exact same problem and worked around it by replacing the videos, though I can't remember exactly how I did it. Have you tried just putting the replacements in the installation folder? Maybe if they have the right file names the game will just open those rather than go look on the CD.
After way too much frustration, I downloaded VirtualDub. I then converted every AVI file in the game (which I copied into my installed directory... C: \Sierra\Gabriel Knight 3\Data) using VirtualDub to a correct CVID file format. This made every video in the game work correctly.

I have all the converted AVI files. I don't know how to post them somewhere, but, If anyone can help me with that part then I can put them up so everyone can grab them. It will fix any part of the game where you'll hear sounds, not see a video, and then your computer locks up. The intro video, the SIDNEY vidoes, etc. They all work now.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 04-18-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #28

Hi, I'm Simone and I am writing from Italy.
I have some tecnichal problems with GK3.
My S.O. is Windows Vista Business and when I insert CD1 of GK3, Autorun starts, I click on Install, but nothing happens.

Can somebody help me?

My english is not so good, so please forgive me..

My problem and pixie_pussycat's problem are the same.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaJew View Post
After way too much frustration, I downloaded VirtualDub. I then converted every AVI file in the game (which I copied into my installed directory... C: \Sierra\Gabriel Knight 3\Data) using VirtualDub to a correct CVID file format. This made every video in the game work correctly.

I have all the converted AVI files. I don't know how to post them somewhere, but, If anyone can help me with that part then I can put them up so everyone can grab them. It will fix any part of the game where you'll hear sounds, not see a video, and then your computer locks up. The intro video, the SIDNEY vidoes, etc. They all work now.
Hi, could you or someone else please upload those converted AVIs? I'm not quite good with computers and i actually got some error messages when i tried to convert it myself. You might use http://www.4shared.com/ or some other free storage space. It would be a great help for me and others as well.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #30

Did those converted videos ever get uploaded? I'm getting the "view geometry" hang, and none of the suggested workarounds seem to be working for me. I'd LOVE to be able to finish the game, I'm really getting into the story!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #31
Sar

Here is what worked for me. I read it somewhere a year or so ago. I tried it and it worked. Install the game in win95 comp. Look in your windows explorer for this location, cwindows\system32. In the system32 folder scroll down and find a file named mpeg2dmx.ax Change the ax extension to .old This should take care of your video problem. You don't need to add a new codex just rendering this one inactive worked for many people. Just remember to change it back when finishing the game. I left it alone for the time I was playing GK3 and did not see any issues with other programs while using the old extension. It could be nothing uses that codex anymore. You should not have to change each time you shut the game off, change back when done just in case something else does.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #32

Or just use the batch file on this page to start the game.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #33
Mystery Lover

Thanks for the help guys. I finally got it to work on vista. ^_^
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #34

In case you guys still need those files - got them right here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=POFXYXLH

Really helped with running the game on Vista.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #35

Default Uninstall/install help

I don't know if anyone can help with this. I recently tried to install GK3 on my laptop with Windows Vista. It part installed it and then said there was an error. The disc was pretty scratched so I ordered a new copy. When I put the new disc in, the menu said GK3 was already installed on my computer but when I try to play the game a message says it could not read the game and to use the install option (which I don't have as the game reads as being already installed). When I try to uninstall, the disc simply stops working. There is no record of Sierra/Xplosiv on any program files and no record of GK3 when I search my computer. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #36
fov
Rattenmonster

Did you try browsing the CD for Setup.exe? You should be able to run that, even if you don't see Install as an option on the launcher.

If that doesn't work, could you roll back to an earlier System Restore point, from before you tried installing it the first time?