You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Faust problems (assorted)

I have installed the game with no problem (and I've even played it before on this machine).

When I go to insert CD 2 to play the first act and click on YES, nothing happens. The CD drive (and I've tried both of mine - one right in the laptop and one external) and while they recognize the CD, the game menu won't progress.

Any ideas?

Edit: False alarm (sorry...). I retried the laptop drive and clicking on YES worked this time. I remember it was cranky like this the first time I played too.

Last edited by Melanie68; 03-13-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I haven't been really having any other problems but toward the end of episode two:

Spoiler:
When the Homunculus sequence is going, everything gets put where it needs to be and then the game freezes.

I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
QFG

I just got my copy in today... but it won't install in Vista, dammit. I've only been trying for about 15 minutes, will report back tomorrow if I continue having problems.

*edit*

Still can't install it. From Vista, clicking on the "Setup" or "Autorun" icons on the CD causes a window to pop labeled "Error" by Vista, and containing the game logo, with a progress bar across the bottom - however, the bar is stuck forever at two blocks on the left.

A separate window then opens and alerts me "Error copying to temp directory: source: D: \Faust\Disc1\install
\install.exe dest:C: \Windows\\TEMP\\install.exe"

Already tried "compatibility mode" with no luck.

Anyone know how to get this damn thing running?

Last edited by QFG; 03-23-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Do you still have the software for XP or an older Windows? If so you could install Virtual PC and install/run it through an older operating system.

I'm not a tech wiz so I'm not 100% sure that will work.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I'm playing the DVD version and am horribly stuck. Already consulted a WT several times for some of the puzzles, but I think I may have hit a nasty bug during the treasure hunt (not the first one either). I can't find any clickable shoe anywhere in the wardrobe... everything in there is exactly the same as in 1952, is it supposed to be like that? I tried to save at that particular point, forgot that I was supposed to disable my virus scanner, so the game froze.
Are you sure you've got the right one? Here's where you're supposed to be clicking.

Anyway, I'm attaching a save.
Attached Files
File Type: zip save_shoe.zip (53.9 KB, 221 views)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Thanks Kurufinwe, you're the best. I extracted your file in the save dir. But... the save doesn't show up in the "load" screen. Beats me why. Is it a French save? I'm playing the English version.

PS: Yeah, unfortunately I'm sure about the missing shoe. It isn't there. There's nothing next to the brown shoes.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #7

Don't extract it in the save dir, but in save/user1 (though I guess you did that).

Oh, silly me, there's also a save index (save.aba). So you need to overwrite an already existing save from this episode. So rename the two files to, say, 2_ArSa_1.xxx and load that save.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Don't extract it in the save dir, but in save/user1 (though I guess you did that).

Oh, silly me, there's also a save index (save.aba). So you need to overwrite an already existing save from this episode. So rename the two files to, say, 2_ArSa_1.xxx and load that save.
That looked like it might work, I could see the black shoes in the pic when I clicked on it in the load screen. But I got an error message, the game refused to download it. I figured that was because it still had my old file name. So I created a new save, called it "shoe" and replaced it by your renamed file. Nothing doing. Unless you gave your save a different name, I've run out of ideas.

Maybe I'm not meant to play this game...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
QFG

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing... NOTHING gets this damned installer to correctly put the files. I'm thinking it's a game problem, but no one else has reported this same problem ANYWHERE on the web. No idea why Vista would result in this error.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

Please don't spend much time on it, Kurufinwe. It's my problem. And even if you solve it, I suspect there will be more problems later. I'd already run into another "bug" (unclickable message in the treasure hunt) which luckily wasn't a gamestopper.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Senior *female* member

Well, I solved the problem of Kuru's save, finished episode 2 and immediately ran into a new problem in Episode 3. This is Mephisto's work, no doubt about it. I give up.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #12

I had problems with this game, too, if that's any consolation. I was liking it well enough but threw in the towel when I hit a bug in chapter three.

I can't say this with certainty, but I do believe this game is one of those that is programmed such that if you do some things in an order that is out of sync with what the game designers expected/wanted you to do, that sometimes it brings the game to a grinding halt; this is what happened to me. Something in the game that was supposed to be there, wasn't, period. When I went back and replayed the section in a different order (presumably in the order that I was supposed to), it was. I have no other explanation but that.

At any rate, I got irritated and put the game away; I was afraid the same thing might happen again later on in the game.

And I almost went blind trying to see what I was supposed to see around those bedposts. I thought at the time that it was a deficiency with my monitor, but I've heard other people had the same problem. And apparently you did, as well.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 AM   #13

You're using the patch, right?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
You're using the patch, right?
Can I use the patch for the DVD version, or is it CD-only?

Marian, yeah, the bedposts were dark, but not quite as dark as I remember them. Different monitor.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Can I use the patch for the DVD version, or is it CD-only?
CD-only (which is why I didn't make that suggestion to you ).
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
QFG

I'm using the patch, no luck. My problem is such a weird one - I mean, it won't even properly copy the game into the TEMP DIRECTORY... good lord. I already copied the info on all four discs onto my hard drive. Can anyone tell me what the finished game directory looks like?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
Super Moderator

When you install it from the CDs, this is what the folder looks like in Program Files Directory:

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #18

Yes, I was playing with the patch.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
QFG

Melanie, could you tell me what's in the Data directory?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Super Moderator

I opened it up twice so the pic on the right is showing the next couple lines of folders and files. I should have just expanded the screen but didn't think of it at the time.

Oh darn, now it's too small...

Here's the list:

Folders:
a01s01
a01s03
a03s01
a05s03
a07s01
a08s01
a11s01
a13s01
a01s02
a01s07
a04s01
a06s01
a07s02
a09s01
a12s01
a14s01
save
sy

Files:
a07s02.at3
sy.at3
cd - configuration settings

Last edited by Melanie68; 03-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.