You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie
Default Gabriel Knight 3 XP problem

Cant get it to install for the life of me.

Autoplay and the setup.exe give me the same problem

SETUP caused a general protection fault in module SETUP.EXE at 0001:15D7.
Choose close. SETUP will close.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Fire Dragon/Pisces

You seem to have compatibility problems. Modern rig and XP SP2 or Vista, I suppose...

I don't have the game but there are many archived threads reporting successful launches by various hacks. Like this one:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/ar...hp/t-3174.html

In your shoes I'd try win98 compatibility mode, single core affinity and reducing hardware acceleration levels (in this respective order).

If you sum up the tech specs of your system, others might be able to give you more specific advice.

Last edited by Jolaes; 03-06-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #3

Have you tried copying the .brn files from the CD to the "data" folder in your game directory? I had to do that and play around with my graphics acceleration to get the game to run on XP. Having done so, I have to say I am pretty dissapointed... still on the first day and not sure I am going to bother continuing.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #4

To install the game in XP you need to right click on the SETUP.EXE file and select "create a shortcut" on the Desktop. After you do this, right click on the shortcut and set compatibility to WIN98. It should install at that time. Of course, you may have problems after that, but that will get you installed.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Sar

I found this on sierra's forum. It was the only change I needed to make to get GK3 to run on my windows xp system.

[ Try renaming cwindows\system32\mpeg2dmx.ax to something else i.e mpeg2dmx.old and then start the game again. When you're finished playing, rename the file back to mpeg2dmx.ax. ]