You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Grim Fandango crashes on XP

Yeah, I know there are several threads on this already, but bear with me.

Problem: Sound disappears and shortly after the game crashes.

Hardware:
Toshiba Satellite Pro
Windows XP Professional (SP2)
Intel Core 2 CPU T5600 1.83GHz
0.99 GB RAM

I have installed the latest patch from Lucasarts.

I've already searched and I have a feeling, that my problem should be related to hyperthreading, and I've tried accessing my BIOS to fix this, however there is no mention of hyperthreading in my BIOS as far as I can tell. There is however something called multicoretasking, which is enabled. Anyone know if this is the same? I am very reluctant to tamper with this without knowing, what I'm doing.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Psycho Game Maker

try right clicking on it and click the box shown in this screenshot and try windows 95/98 and see how it runs.
Click the compaibilty tab.
Mikes Room
Old 03-03-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Fire Dragon/Pisces

P4 HT can be switched off. A core in a dualcore system cannot (not by software anyways).
However, if you're sure that this is what makes your comp crash,
you can try assigning exclusive processor affinity to the main executable and/or permanently set processor affinity using imagecfg or a similar utility.

imagecfg -a 0x1 "here comes the filename like ~Grim.exe"

http://www.robpol86.com/Files/imagecfg.exe
Old 03-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
try right clicking on it and click the box shown in this screenshot and try windows 95/98 and see how it runs.
Yeah, I tried that. It helps to avoid freezes, however the cutscenes get all messed up.

I also tried fiddling with the hardwareaccelleration for sound (on full now) with no success either.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaes View Post
P4 HT can be switched off. A core in a dualcore system cannot (not by software anyways).
However, if you're sure that this is what makes your comp crash,
you can try assigning exclusive processor affinity to the main executable and/or permanently set processor affinity using imagecfg or a similar utility.

imagecfg -a 0x1 "here comes the filename like ~Grim.exe"

http://www.robpol86.com/Files/imagecfg.exe
Wow. Worked like a charm ,I think (1 hour, no crashes). Thanks a lot.

I still have plenty of problems in this game, though. But at least it's the kind of problems I like now. The puzzlerelated ones .
Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #6

Default GF/XP Problem Solved

A few weeks ago I tried installing and running GF on my new (one year old) system (MPC ClientPro 385 /w Intel Core2 Duo processor-2.40GHZ, 4MB cache, 1066 FSB; 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD (2x80 w/RAID controller); ATI Radeon X1650PRO 512 MB PCIE video card; Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card; running Windows XP Pro w/SP3). Initially, I couldn't install the game from the CDs I purchased way back when. When that problem was solved, the game wouldn't run without freezing up after about five minutes or so (video freeze/audio stuttering). I eventually solved these problems and just finished running the game from start to finish with no problems whatsoever. Since my solutions were a combination of suggestions found by searching the internet and my own trial and error, I thought I'd post what worked for me - as it seems that lots of folks are discovering this game and trying to play it on their newer systems.
1. The solution to the install problem was to download and install the Grim Fandango replacement setup and installer program from:
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup
Once this program was installed, I was able to install the entire game on my hard drive with no problems.
2. When I tried to run the game, I encountered the above described freezes and audio stuttering. I found that setting the game's properties in Win XP's compatibility mode to: "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)," and then setting the game's 3d Hardware Acceleration to "OFF" through the game's Options Menu provided the best results - although the freezes/stuttering continued. (Note: I tried running the game in both Windows 95 and Windows 98/ Windows ME compatibility modes, but both of these settings produced an inferior "scratchy" audio, and degraded video.)
3. More internet searching led me to a web page titled "Game Issues with Multiproccessor/ Hyperthreading Systems" at:
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm
I followed the instructions on this page for the "permanent way" to fix the problem (the temporary fix didn't work for me). This consisted of downloading imagecfg and unzipping it to the two folders specified; creating processor.bat per the instructions; saving processor.bat to the game directory; copying a backup of grimfandango.exe to a different directory (just in case); and then modifying grimfandango.exe in the game directory with processor.bat. Once I did this the game ran like a charm - no hangs, no problems with any of the puzzles (although the elevator puzzle and the crane/chain puzzle were a bit "twitchy" - just the same as when I ran the game on my older systems). But the graphics, sound, and everything else was spectacular. I've kept the compatibility mode set to "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)," and the hardware acceleration set to "OFF" in the game's Options Menu.

Hope this information helps anybody having problems running the game on their XP system. Good luck!