You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Tex Murphey (Pandora and UAKM) on XP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Default Tex Murphey (Pandora and UAKM) on XP

Hey guys,

I really like Tex Murphey Overseer and was thinking of picking up The Pandora Directive and Under a Killing Moon but had a couple of tech questions first. Do eathier of these titles run on XP right out of the box or is a program like Dos Box neccary to run them? Additionaly, to use Dos Box do you have to know how to operate Dos or does it just allow you to use Dos programs on a windows machine? Finally, does Dos Box cost anything or is it free? Sorry about the blinding ignorance of these questions but I just recently got back into Adventure gaming so I'm a little behind on the teck stuff.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Hi!

First of all, get ready for an amazing adventure gaming experience! How I envy you! Playing those games for the first time... Great entertainment!

Now back to your questions:

1) DOSBOX is a free tool. Some DOS knowledge would help you get the game running but there is enough well written documentation to help you out and this is a really active community so don't worry if you don't have any DOS knowledge

2) I have been able to run the games under XP without DOSBOX and with WIN95 compatibility but I found that the games ran really crappy (sound issues, graphic glitches) so I would recommend that you use DOSBOX.

3) Check out the following websites for more information:

DOSBOX link + Info:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Under a Killing Moon and XP:

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/disp...AKM_and_XP.htm

Good luck and let us know if you have any problems!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #3

If I may recommend...
I use this version of DOSBox, it is a tuned version and runs a little bit faster http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #4

This link

http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/p...8bc41bfad3cd46

has everything you will ever need to know about running these great games on XP.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help guys. I looked at Dox Box a little but I'm scared I wont know how to use it right or my frustration with it might be to high. I think it might come down to a battle between my fear of not being able to use Dos Box and my desire to play the games. I might but the games and try to run them on Windows then if I have problems go to DosBox. That way I will be stuck with them and will be forced to use DosBox or admit that I wasted my money on games I cant play. It may not be for a while at any rate because I plan to replay overseer with my wife which I'm really looking forward to. At any rate thanks again guys.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #6

There is nothing to be afraid of... If you need some help, just ask here and I'm sure someone will help. Besides, it is nothing difficult

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the support daikatana.