You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
I have a power 2, u kno.

Default Syberia overlapping speech

For some reason when i play syberia in xp the speech tends to overlap and its really hard to get the gist of whats being said. Ive played it on Windows ME and the speech is fine.
Is there any way to solve this in xp?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #2

I wonder if your overlapping problem stems from the same issue that caused the crashing problem I had playing Grim Fandango on my XP. I learned that the problem was due to my XP running much faster than what the game was equipped to handle.

I solved my problem by going into the XP operating system and turning off "hyperthreading".

The following are directions for turning off hyperthreading:

Restart your computer.
At the boot-up screen (this is the blue Dell screen on my pc), hit F2 which takes you to system setup.
Arrow down to the CPU menu item and hit enter. You'll get a sub-menu that gives you the option to disable hyperthreading. Highlight it and hit enter. Now exit system settings by hitting escape (be sure to save!).

I should add that I played Syberia on my XP without needing to do the above and with virtually no problems, although I think I did download a patch.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 01-30-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
I have a power 2, u kno.

Actually I ran the game again on my XP and now it runs fine without the speech problem. Thank you for your suggestion.
Although now when I get to a certain point in the game it seems to freeze although the background noise is still heard. Your reply said about a patch I wonder if you could tell me what it was for and if it could help me get past this point.
Or if anyone else has any suggestions please help.

The point where the game freezes is:
Spoiler:
When Kate is following Momo to find his secret, after the scenery with the rowing boat. Momo stands there and (I think) is about to say something but they both just freeze.

Thanks for your help