You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Gabriel Knight 2 problem installing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Gabriel Knight 2 problem installing.

Hello everyone.

I bought a copy of GK2, and downloaded the installer for XP from the GK 2000 site, but it freezes up every time I try to run it. It installs about 1/6 of the way, and then just totally locks up.

Suggestions?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Could there be something wrong with whatever file it's trying to install at the time that it freezes?

You might try copying all the files off the CD and onto your hard drive, and installing from there instead. Did you check the CD for scratches?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #3

I've actually got 2 copies of the game, tried them both.

I'll try copying the files off the cd though.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Hmm... makes me wonder if it's something wrong with the installer from the GK2000 site, then.

FYI, you don't need a special installer to use the game on XP. The installer that site has for GK1 is generally needed to run the game on XP, but GK2 runs fine on XP by itself (both the DOS version and the Windows version). The only thing that installer does is make it so you don't have to switch disks.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Well the thing is, when I tried installing it off the CD I get an error that says something like "setup caused a general error in setup.exe and will close." after that it won't even let me attempt to install it again.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #6

I don't know if this website will help, but it helped me to play both GK1 and GK2 on XP:

http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/
Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Well the thing is, when I tried installing it off the CD I get an error that says something like "setup caused a general error in setup.exe and will close." after that it won't even let me attempt to install it again.
Reboot the machine, or do ctrl-alt-del and kill the process called (I think) wowexec.exe. When Sierra's installer crashes there is a process that continues running and keeps you from trying again.

Still, the fact that you're getting this error at all isn't a good thing. If it's not related to the Gabriel Knight 2k installer, then maybe there's something about your computer that the game doesn't like.

Out of curiosity, have you tried installing the DOS version instead? Just run install.exe instead of setup.exe.

Quote:
I don't know if this website will help, but it helped me to play both GK1 and GK2 on XP:

http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/
That's the same website he mentioned in the first post.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #8

Sorry. That's what happens when you have a couple of beers and don't read the previous posts more clearly.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #9

Well, I got it installed off by copying the files off the CD...but now I get "Internal Game Error, cannot find 999.pal resource."

This is a lot of freaking pain and suffering to play a 12 year old game.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty View Post
Well, I got it installed off by copying the files off the CD...but now I get "Internal Game Error, cannot find 999.pal resource."
IIRC, this error is caused by not having disk 1 in the drive when you try to launch it. (They could have just said "Hey, put disk 1 in the drive." )

Since you installed from the hard drive instead of from the CD, it's possible the game is confused about where to look for the CD. Go into the GK2WIN folder and open resource.win with Notepad. Mine looks like this:

Quote:
[Windows]
title = Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
titleBar = FALSE
allowresize = FALSE
wwidth = 640
wheight = 480
sciMinK = 2100
sciMaxK = 7000
borderpixels = 10
reservek4 = 700
reservek8 = 700
reservek16 = 2000
wingMinK = 2700
confirmdac = TRUE
leadSubmits = 4
maxCursorSize = 4
resAud=CD:\
resSfx=CD:\
resMap=CD:\;C:\SIERRA\GK2WIN
rescdisc=CD:\
patchDir=CD:\PATCHES;C:\SIERRA\GK2WIN;CD:\
movieDir=CD:\MOVIES
robot=CD:\ROBOT
discID=GK2R1
CD:=D;E
Make sure the CD:= is pointing to your CD drive(s), and not to C:, and you should be all set.

Quote:
This is a lot of freaking pain and suffering to play a 12 year old game.
But it's so worth it. One of my favorite games of all time.

Make sure to install the patch before you get started.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #11

The utility from GK2000 mysteriously started working. -_-

Thanks for the help though.