You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Black Dahlia (8 Disc version)(UK) Install Problems on XP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Scottish Lass

Default Black Dahlia (8 Disc version)(UK) Install Problems on XP

Hi there

I have just came accross one of my old 8 disc games called Black Dahlia, which as I remeber was a great adventure game to play. I'd love to play it again. However, when I come to install now, it says I have not got enough byte space. Here is the exact error message :

Not enough free space
Need 86958837 bytes to Install Black Dahlia

I checked the properties of my C drive and I have 91,041,902,592 bytes (84.7 GB)

This is way more than enough space to install the game, so I'm stumped, and don't understand why I am getting this error message.

I last played the game on my old Windows 98 system, and it was fine. I now have Windows XP Pro edition (don't have duel boot system).

Is there a problem with Black Dahlia & Wiondows XP ?? Is there a (simple) way to get the gane to install and run ??

Thanks, Meg, Scotland UK
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums, clydevalley.

I've moved your thread to the Tech Problems section, where it has better chances of finding an answer.

Have you tried compatibility modes (right-click on the installer (setup.exe, I guess) > Properties > Compatibility)?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Slim Shady

Use the compatibility mode

Go to-->My Computer-->Your CD Rom Drive which holds the CD in
it-->Right Click-->Locate the file called: "SETUP.EXE" and The file "AUTOFIX.EXE-->Right Click on each of them in their turn -->Choose Properties --> Compatibility.

and after download install the patch at http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=...tch.zip&ref=ps.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
say yes when nobody asked

Thanks for the tip, Snake! Now I too can play this again, because it's a fantastic game!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Scottish Lass

Default Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Use the compatibility mode

Go to-->My Computer-->Your CD Rom Drive which holds the CD in
it-->Right Click-->Locate the file called: "SETUP.EXE" and The file "AUTOFIX.EXE-->Right Click on each of them in their turn -->Choose Properties --> Compatibility.

and after download install the patch at http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=...tch.zip&ref=ps.

Thanks, you're a star. I set properties to run for Win 98, and the game installed like a dream, and it runs like a dream too. Thanks again, Meg, Scotland, UK