You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT
Default 5 1/4 " disk drive

I guess this is technical so here goes... worth a try...

if anyone in australia reading this forums has a 5 1/4" drive i'd appreciate an offer to sell it to me... and are they even compatible with todays data cables?? i need it to work for an old adventure game i bought...

if anyone has one OR has technical information on how to get one to work on todays PC's (because although ive put a few computers together i have no idea if a 5 1/4" will still work on these new PC's), my own comupter is home made and so i don't have to worry about fitting non "Brand Name" parts because its a mix match of bits at the moment.

Cheers,

GoT
Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Bad command or file name

Sorry bud but I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive to spare. I have two but they are both in use in classic computers. As for 'will it will it work in a new computer', theoretically yes. Most BIOSes still give you the option to configure the floppy drive as 1.2mb, 5.25" and windows XP is supposed to support 5.25" disks though I have never tried that myself. Be aware that most new BIOSes only support one legacy disk drive at a time so setting it up for 5.25" will likely mean that your 3.5" drive won't work until you configure it back. The only other thing you would need would be a ribbon which supports the 5.25" interface to attach it to the motherboard. It looks like this.

Good luck in your search.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #3

A simpler solution may be just finding (or borrowing) a computer that has 5 1/4" and copy the files to 3 1/2". Although they actually aren't even making 3 1/2" disk anymore either! I still have an ancient computer I keep around just for the 5 1/4" drive. I can then copying them to my new computer and put them on CD.

Sorry, I don't want to sell it and shipping from Texas would be ridiculous anyway. Just look around for an ancient comupter at a used store. It would probably cost less money than rigging up a 5 1/4" drive.

Also note that if it is a game on 5 1/4" disk you can legally download the game from HOTU or something IF you legally own the game. As long as you own the game, you can download it because of your disk issue.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

3.5" disks are still perfectly available in stores.