You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #1

Default Copying Multi-CD Games to DVD?

I don't mind occasionally swapping out disks, but with games like RUNAWAY and NIGHTLONG you must always have the first CD in to start the game, and then you have to switch to another CD depending on where you are in the game. That is annoying. I know that some games like Tex Muprhy 3 and 4, now have patches which will allow you to copy the game to DVD, so you don't have to worry about disk swapping, but does anyone know if there are any utilities out there to be able to copy RUNAWAY and/or NIGHTLONG to DVD?

I would appreciate any help, and I am sure that a lot of other people would as well.

DC
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #2

You could check for some sort of ini file in the installed directory. You may find that it contains locations for each disk. If it does, copy all the disks to your hard drive in seperate directories and then change the ini file to these directory names.

No idea if this will work with those two games, but it has worked with a lot of multi disk games (including Riven). Worth a try I suppose.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #3

Well, I have found that Nightlong can be easily burned to a DVD. Just make sure everything is in the appropriate folders. A few files are duplicates on the 3 CDs.

I will check out Runaway tomorrow and see if I can burn it to DVD as well. It was a great game but annoying having to swap disk every time you start the game.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #4

Alternatively, if nothing else works, you can make a disc image (*.iso) of each CD and copy them as files onto a DVD. Then you can mount each image as needed with Daemon Tools or similar. Still slightly annoying but better than changing CDs.

(This would also work with CD images on the hard drive instead of a DVD if you've got space)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #5

I used Blindwrite from VSO software on my Runaway originals, to create 3 .iso (technically .b5t/.bwt files) files. Then I used Daemon Tools (as Bresto suggested) to mount the disk images and play. I solved the problem with Runaway always asking for disk1 by creating three 'virtual' drives in Daemon Tools and mounted all 3 cd images so I'd never need the cd's again to play.

Step 1: get Blindwrite:
http://www.vso-software.fr

Step 2: use Blindwrite to create image files

Step 3: get Daemon Tools* to mount those images and play:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc

*Preferably version 3.47 or before, I see there's some talk about them having spyware (?) now.

Anyway, there are other programs that do both functions but basically you need to extract an images from your originals then use the images to play the game. Alcohol 120% is another program that extracts images like Blindwrite but I've had better luck w/bw and it's smaller overhead.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotaria View Post
I don't mind occasionally swapping out disks, but with games like RUNAWAY and NIGHTLONG you must always have the first CD in to start the game, and then you have to switch to another CD depending on where you are in the game. That is annoying. I know that some games like Tex Muprhy 3 and 4, now have patches which will allow you to copy the game to DVD, so you don't have to worry about disk swapping, but does anyone know if there are any utilities out there to be able to copy RUNAWAY and/or NIGHTLONG to DVD?

I would appreciate any help, and I am sure that a lot of other people would as well.

DC
Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Step 3: get Daemon Tools* to mount those images and play:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc

*Preferably version 3.47 or before, I see there's some talk about them having spyware (?) now.
Just to clarify: the only "spyware" that DTools 4 contains is an optional Internet Explorer search bar. Deselect it during the installation, and everything should be fine.