You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Paradise Copy Protection

I just picked this game up and am looking to start to play it. I noticed that it has a warning on the back that the copy protection used on the game may conflict with some drives and I was wondering what kind of copy protection does it have. Does it come with Starforce? (and by no means by mentioning the dreaded name do I intend on dragging that ugly debate from wherever it's hiding) I just want to make sure before loading the game on my new computer...

Also, I'm wondering about the bug issue. I'm assuming that I'll have to install the newest patch? Or will the later releases have some of the issues fixed? And does the patch eliminate all the problems, or are there still lots?

Thanks,
William

(PS: I thought it was quite humourous; I picked the game up from Future Shop, where it is catagorized as an Arcade Action game... Go figure)
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #2

Default Paradise & Starforce

Don't know if this is the same issue. I downloaded the newest patch as directed by this site and found a Starforce label that wouldn't accept the "key" that was on my CD. I had to uninstall Patch 113 and reinstall the game. Don't know yet if I lost my saved files. Does anyone know what's going on with this Patch 113 and Starforce??

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #3

The copy protection system used depends on the publisher. For Paradise, MicroApp (several European countries) used Starforce, while Ubisoft (North America) used something else (supposedly less evil).

As for the patch, v. 1.1.1 took care of most of the bugs (as far as I know). I had a look at that 1.1.3 patch we posted about, and I have no idea what it is: it's for an English version, but is on MicroApp's site and uses Starforce. And both the official French and US sites still only mention version 1.1.1.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-05-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
It's just me

I use the 1.1.1 patch and the game runs quite smoothly, except for a few rough spots, but it's stable. I don't know what the 1.1.3 patch does, I don't get it. And the fact that it's not on Ubisoft's site is kind of strange. Then again, and like you said Kurufinwe, that patch is probably for the French version only.

Last edited by Lunatik; 09-05-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #5

Glad to say my saved files were still there after I reinstalled Paradise. Although I did upload the 111 patch (as I had done originally), there are still slight problems in navigation. Not sure what the 113 patch would have improved, however, if I could have used it.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Adventurer

Alright, thanks.

I'll probably use the 1.1.1 patch and try my luck while avoiding the mysterious 1.1.3 patch.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
In an evening of July...

1.1.3 is definitely for the English version of Paradise as it contains English dialogs. The copy protection seems to be different for 1.1.1 and 1.1.3, the startup.exe being about 4.3mb in the first patch and 0.7mb in the second. 1.1.3 contains some small dialog and cutscene fixes, as well as talkability with the harem girls; the engine itself is supposed to make the cursor movement smoother, I haven't tried it yet though.