You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Simon the Sorcerer 3D - can't start game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Simon the Sorcerer 3D - can't start game

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Simon the Sorcerer 3D. After the installation, the "Start game" option is grayed out.

I didn't get any confirmation that the installation was finished. Instead, when it got to 100%, it jumped straight back to the menu (with the disabled option at the top). I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I suspect that it isn't and that something went wrong during the installation process.

I've tried to...
- Uninstall and reinstall the game,
- Install the 2.0 patch,
- Run the game executable (simon3d.exe) directly instead of via the menu. This gave me an error message saying "Please run Simon 3D from the Start menu."

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, an AMD Athlon ~2.2 GHz processor and have 1 GB of RAM.

Anybody have a suggestion on what to do next?

Thanks,

Harald
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

When you install the game and when you play, make sure all background programs are turned off including anti-virus programs.

Cathy
Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Default Frusty.

Thanks Cathy,

Assuming that by "all background programs" you mean "all icons in the Task Manager", I tried that and it didn't work. I couldn't find a way to actually "turn off" the Antivirus program (as in shut it down) though, but I did disable it during the installation. No luck.

I also tried the minimum installation which I hadn't before, but it made no difference.

Other ideas anyone?

Thank you!

Harald
Old 08-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #4

Just a thought. Have you turned off your screensaver and auto insert (cd).
Also have you tried 98/ME compatibility mode ?

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy1; 08-10-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Default Some progess!

Thank you again Cathy,

The screen saver is indeed off, but I must admit I have no idea what "auto insert" means.

I tried the Windows 98 Compatibility Mode and it did show some signs of improvement (stupid of me not to think of it myself - I'm still a bit new to WinXP, believe it or not). When the installation reached 100 % it asked me if I wanted to install DirectX 7.0, something it didn't before. I chose No of course; I already have DirectX9.0c. This brought me back to the menu, but "Start Game" is still grayed out (even with Compatibility for the executables on the hard disk).

Suggestions for the next step, please?

Thank you very much!

Harald

Ps. Would it be safe to accept the DirectX installation, just to see what happens? Or may I end up overwriting the more recent files? I seem to recall that DirectX will automatically check for later versions before it actually installs.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
tal

Default It happened to me too

Just start the menu, and goto the setup screen. then exit, and the "start game" will be available. (If it doesn't work, try to play with the setup configurations) GOOD LUCK!

~By the way, it's an hard game, with huge world, and a lot of loading. Consider walkthrough, I do it and I'm enjoying the game for the first time! (this is the second time I play, the first time I got stuck, and did not enjoy the game...)
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #7

Default WHAMMO - solved!

Thank you, tal!
That was the simple solution to my problem. I can't help but feel a bit stupid, although I'm not sure I should. The problem was that you had to press OK in the Setup window (I had just pressed Cancel before because I didn't change any settings). Then the Start game option came to life immediately. I'm still a bit annoyed though. Why couldn't they just let the installer create the configuration file? Stupid Adventuresoft.

Anyway I'd like to thank both of you for your interest, I'm off to play the game now!

Harald
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Iv4n

Geez. Simon 3D... Why are you torturing yourself with this "game"?

Last edited by Iv4n; 08-11-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #9

I must say I've never played the game, nor do I use XP.
Have fun and take the advice and use a walkthrough. You'll be glad you did.

Cathy
Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #10

I guess it's not a great game, but I'm still enjoying it so far. I like the Crawling, Look Around and Yo-yo functions.

But - ARGH - why did they make the stupid world so freaking huge?

Oh well. I'm going to try to steal the metal detector now, according to UHS Hints (yes, I do check that site for help about this game one or two times more than I absolutely have to. So I am following your advice, sort of, tal).
Old 08-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald
But - ARGH - why did they make the stupid world so freaking huge?
Mostly, because they can.

oh... and you read 'freaking huge' as - 'freaking huge, ugly, and empty'